What are the most interesting things you've found in your apartment after guests checked out?

Oksana127
Level 7
Riga, Latvia

What are the most interesting things you've found in your apartment after guests checked out?

I’m sure we’ve all had those moments after guests leave, when we start tidying up and discover something unexpected. From quirky souvenirs to valuable belongings, it’s fascinating how every guest leaves behind a little story.

Have you ever found something particularly memorable or unusual in your apartment? Maybe it was a hidden gem tucked away in a drawer, or an item that made you smile or even laugh?

I’m also curious—have your guests ever reached out to ask for their forgotten items to be returned by mail? How do you handle situations like these? Do you have any fun or heartwarming stories about sending lost belongings back to their owners?

Feel free to share your unique experiences. It’s always amazing to hear how each host manages these moments and how they add a bit of adventure to the everyday hosting life.222.jpg

4 Replies 4
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Oksana127,

Instead of talking about the objects guests leave behind—one of my favorite topics—I’d like to focus on the habits they leave behind, especially in the kitchen.

I love it when guests rearrange the kitchen cabinets, moving plates, coffee mugs, Nespresso cups, etc. For me, it means they’ve organized things according to their needs and made an effort to feel happy in my house. That’s actually a good sign that a positive review is on the way.

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Oksana127 😊

Thank you for bringing up this topic here, it’s always surprising what guests leave behind! 

Do you have any memorable items you’ve found or fun stories about returning lost belongings?

What about you @Robin4@Dr-Jayanthi1 ,@Cheri354@Elena4354 and @Debra300 ?

I look forward to hearing your stories! 😍

Warm regards🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Oksana127 

I have not had many unpleasant guests over the years but, there was one that did particularly rub me up the wrong way!

She was a woman in her mid 50s who came from a farming community in the mid north of the state, and from the get-go everything about her eluded this sense of entitlement I would have thought was more reserved for a nineteenth century Lady of the Manor rather than an Orroroo pig and chicken farmers wife.......how the gentry have changed!

She was here with her sister for a wedding and had brought along at least half a dozen dress outfits to wear for the occasion and drove the sister and Ade mad requiring a suitability appraisal of each.....to which she appeared to pay absolutely no notice.

My thought was, I could just imagine the husband, 'pedal to the metal' hotfooting it into town to shout the front bar of the local pub in celebration of his temporary freedom!!!

His gain was my pain!

Anyway complete with lots of requests along the way she and sister got to the wedding suitably attired and coiffured, and the morning of their check-out I was not on hand to see them off, having other duties to attend to. 

After lunch I returned and when I entered the cottage everything had been left neat and tidy but, there draped across the bed where her 6 wedding outfits. While packing the car she had left them till last so as not to crush them......and simply took off and forgot about them.

I rang her to report  the omission hoping they hadn't got too far on the road and could return and pick them up.

She said to me...."Oh how silly of me, can you be a good man, pack them in a post box and mail them to me"? 

I told her, on Monday morning I would get a cost from the post office for packing and postage to the mid north town and ask if Aust Post had a pay on collect facility.

She said to me...."Oh let's not haggle about the money, just send them and I will pay you later, after all it did cost us $276 to stay with you for the 2 nights"!

How do you reckon I felt about responding to that?  I was bloody seething!!!

With a definite air of frustration in my voice I said to her......

"Regardless of what I might have been paid I do not allow for guest carelessness in the pricing of my listing. I will get a cost from Aust Post on Monday and send an amount request through Airbnb and when I receive notification from Airbnb it has been paid to my account I will immediately organise the postage"!

I bet even her husband had never spoken to her like that. Anyway I got a cost and it was substantial, around $85.00, passed in on via 'Send or Request Money' tab. The amount  duly arrived and she eventually got her dresses.

It was however one of only 6 three star reviews I have ever received and started my total mistrust of anything accurate coming out of the review system! And it taught me not all cultivated sounding people are going to be good guests.......study every word of the original booking message, You can learn a lot about the character of the person from that first message!

Cheers......Rob.

Sure! Could you please provide the thread you'd like me to reply to, or clarify the context for the response? That way, I can craft the perfect reply with the relevant keyword "online Skype Quran classes.