What is too picky about how a guest leaves your place.?

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

What is too picky about how a guest leaves your place.?

Hi all....just wondering what is the limit for you to leave a review about how they left the place.  For instance, crumbles, maybe they missed the wastebasket and left stuff on the floor, kitchen sink splatter with coffee, something dripped in the floor here and there and not wiped up, that kind of thing.  It really pisses me off but is it something to mention in their review, would you mention stuff like that.  I was thinking I'd just say something about they could have been a bit more tidy.?  They were here one night a couple days ago.  I don't bake anymore for a nice little Welcome since Covid.  I started putting snack bags of a few different popcorn instead, these people had bits of popcorn everywhere, coffee drips, they emptied the ice cube trays and left them in the freezer, along with an empty ice cube bin and a few other things what some may consider nitpicky, maybe, that's the question.  What's your limit.?

65 Replies 65

I totally agree with you, @Wende2.  I've taken to using the word "disappointed," as in this example:  "XYZ was a disappointing guest, leaving more damage and clean-up in his wake than normal visitors.  He seems a nice person, but I cannot recommend him to other whole-home hosts."  

@Ann72The best part of your sample review is the comparison to “normal”  visitors. Such a fitting and subtle dig at a disrespectful guest. I think I will be borrowing that 😆

@Ann72  Oh, you think home-share hosts are okay with slobs? 🙂

@Sarah977   Ha!  😂😂😂

@Ann72   I went back to leave my review, didn't notice that these people are hosts too.  Now really, wouldn't you think they'd be a better guest.?!

@Anonymous   Wow...I know that couple too, they stayed here last summer, very nice.  We're both in the same state, a few hrs from each other.

OMG @Wende2 - the worst!!!  I assume jealousy when I hear that kind of thing.

@Ann72  I did leave a review saying I wished they'd been tidier, I didn't want to list everything, they also left all the towels in a pile on the bathroom floor, again...WHY?  I left a private note, gosh I hope it was private.!!!!! Letting them know what not to do at the next place they stay, also said all that as a suggestion.

Well done, @Wende2.  It's the dual purpose of warning future hosts and hoping to educate the guests.

@Ann72   Being hosts themselves, I wonder what would make them mad when they see how their place would be left.  They said they live in DC, Federal Hill, if that's what they rent out, I'd hope people would be more respectful of that place.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Wende2 ,  Although It isn't the way I would leave a place, as long as what we are cleaning up would be cleaned in our normal process, we don't ding them.  With the new pandemic standards, thats an even wider pathway than ever before.  If they damage stuff, thats a horse of a different color, now your losing some points and getting written notification in your rating.  stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0  Hi.....I'm thinking I have so many more nice guests that look after the place like I would if I were staying in someones apt/home.  It's more that they could show some respect, it's a lovely place not a hotel room, which I'd not leave the way some leave my apt.  I'm also one that leaves a review short and nothing positive if they leave it a mess, so I'm thinking I should be more considerate of the next host than worrying what the guest may think when reading it.  For only being in there such a short time, I can't imagine what it would look like had they stayed for several days.  You stay well, as well, Thanks.

Jen-Marie0
Level 5
Ruckersville, VA

@Wende2 thank you for posting this! From my experience it is so hard to determine what is a fair way to assess how a guest treats your place. I would suggest finding a way you can evaluate the guest consistently so that your review process is the same for all. One thing we see often if that the guest will "clean up" by putting things away and making it look tidy at first glance but then once we are in the cleaning process we find that things were spilled everywhere! We will find spills and debris on the counter, floor, in the microwave/fridge/oven, and spills all over the trashcan area. It is hard to say they were not "clean" because they did put things away and work to put the place back into order. On the flip side we see guests that just leave it all out there. They don't even try to make it look tidy. The reality is that the cleaning process is exactly the same if you "clean up" or you don't. We still have to clean everything. We use the time it takes to clean as an indicator as well as missing or broken items. A disrespectful guest will try to hide broken items and not disclose issues. Balance giving yourself the time to review a person with reporting any issues in a timely manner. Good luck!

@Jen-Marie0Hi......Thanks for the idea to judge them on the time it takes.  Honestly just really glad these people were here for just 1 night, came later and left later, come to think of I even gave them 2 extra hrs in the morning to leave.!!! They certainly didn't use it pick up after themselves.  I've had so many nice people leave the apt in nice shape, even had some do the laundry upon leaving and left it for the dryer.  It's the sticky stuff that's a dried up mess when they leave, I once had fish scales on the kitchen window, there's a nice porch they could have easily used to clean fish, just blows my mind.  Then there's the snoops, I ask people to Please not open the desk secretary it's broken, I don't know what the ones that try think they're going to find in there.  I had someone try to open it with the key from the lamp switch.?!  since it's the hinge that's broken it's obvious.  The whole secretary is a booby trap, drawers are hard to get back in as well, so then again it's obvious.