What kind of colours represent your listing?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

What kind of colours represent your listing?

20653948_BLN_George_1188.jpg

Hello everyone!

Whether you’re a new host, or a well-established host, the way you decorate your listing sets the tone for that all-important first impression when a guest checks out your listing online.  It can also provide some “wow factor” when they first enter the building.  

Some people are attracted to beautiful, bright, jewel tones.  Others might prefer a calming, restful, pastel colour.  Everyone’s different!

I’m interested to know, if you were going to do some decorating in your listing, what colour of paint would you pick? 

Whether it’s a riot of colour, or something simple and minimalist, let us know in the comments and feel free to tell us more about why you chose them.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of colours, whether it’s one or a combination, get creative!

Take care,

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

11 Replies 11

@Jenny 

Wonderful question! 

Our walls are off white, to not compete with the highly colorful original artwork.  The walls are actually minimal, as they frame the huge windows looking out to the vast forest and wilderness views in all 4 directions. Our furniture and linens are neutral tones of white, with light blues & greens, and  accents in colors and other earth tones. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Beautiful combination @Kitty-and-Creek0! I may be taking notes here, as I'm wanting to refresh my apartment 😆.

Where do you source your artwork from?  I never know where to start when looking for something beautiful and unique to go on my walls!  I've currently got some wonderful etchings by P Standen on my walls, all cat related.  They were gifted by my Uncle's partner who works in a local gallery.  

-----

@Jenny 

Ah, you are such a lover of art! I love that question...(uh, oh - here comes another of my "stories"!

We toured the states doing art/craft shows professionally for some 30 years. We're also graphic artists...hand-pulled silkscreen printers working from tonal separations of our original photographs and drawings. We are easily attracted to the work of others we've met along the way, who see the world the way we do. We've collected a number of works from artists we love. Some come from galleries, some from art shows, some from just keeping in touch. Obviously we need more wall space.

I started the serigraph collection with my first paycheck when I was a teenager. It just happened. I fell in love with an artist's work, and they all still delight us on the walls after all these years. My cousin in Canada is a well-known, totally incredible painter -  we've some of her work as well.

As lifelong students of cultural anthropology, we've a seriously huge collection of Indigenous art and textiles. We usually buy directly from the artists and craftspeople. My uncle and aunt started that love when I was a baby, with my baby jewelry, art pieces & books about the tribes of the southwest US, South & Central America. They, and I have always traveled, which gave me and them so many sources for collecting, no matter how many times I've sworn to not acquire anything that would not fit into my day pack and carryon, or wear on the plane home as yet another layer! 

I grew up in the vastly multicultural SF Bay Area, so my tastes reflect that as my "normal." We were also gifted a lot of Asian antique furniture from Creek's mom, & bought Danish Modern as well. I guess when you're as old as we are, it naturally accumulates? It all goes well with the architecture - Frank Lloyd Wright loved his collection of Japanese art;  he designed elegant buildings and furnishings there.

As serious art collectors have advised, collect what you love, and want to live with. This is much more important than investment value. 

Have fun with it, love it!

Kitty

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is brilliant @Kitty-and-Creek0 - thank you so much!

I definitely have a love of art, but have never had the confidence to really explore it before now, but I think much like you I'd be attracted to the work of people I've met and who see the world how I do. 

That being said, as I write this, I'm looking around and thinking "well actually, I can see a number of lino prints I've picked up along the way, and a graffiti style self portrait that someone made me" so maybe I am exploring it but not being present!  🤣

Do you have a favourite piece of art?  I love everything I've got, but my particular favourites are both framed lino prints.  One is an old fashioned cider press, the other is a hare, tucked in a circle like they're sleeping.

-----

@Jenny 

Such a great start! If you love it and it speaks to you, there you are. Everything I surround myself with is a favorite. I spend time with each, they speak to me of memories, friendships, travels, encounters with incredible people, chapters of my life. Some seemed to have called to me across a room! As do the prints you have in your home. 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Green – Yellow – Orange!

We have many green plants, and the bed sheets and towels are in the green-yellow-orange range.

Even the cat’s fur containes kind of orange.

2023-01-17 10.28.53.jpg

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

A beautiful combination @Till-and-Jutta0 - especially when you include a cat and plants!  What's your favourite type of plant to have in your listing? ( And can I see a photo of your cat please?)

-----

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Hum, the plants are more @Jutta7's thing. For me, all look green.

As we currently are staying at our family’s finca in Spain, the orange cat has been replaced by a different color:

StellaStella

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm more than happy with a black cat @Till-and-Jutta0 - I have one of my very own!  

20230506_155328.jpg

-----

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Jenny 

The topic of colour is definitely one I can relate to as it was something that I spent time thinking about and discussing with my husband when we decided we wanted to give Airbnb a go.

Should we play safe and go for various shades of white like so many apartments in Cannes, France or should we try and stand out and be bold?

By looking at the photo, you've guessed it-  we decided to go for a more contemporary look!  The apartment was totally renovated and reinvented apart from the kitchen that we kept pretty much as it was but I loved the wood flooring and even if hubby said it would be more difficult to clean than if we laid tiles, I wanted to keep this warm feature.  

I came across the wallpaper you see which is on one wall and then chose a deep green to go with it and then decided to run this green theme in my towels and a few other touches here and there.  I picked out just one wall to be darker than the rest in the bedrooms and lounge and then the other walls are a greyish white so that it's not too overwhelming.

Although this is not the colour scheme that I have in my own home, (I'm into beiges!) I have had a great response from both the men who pick out the apartment and my female guests.  They like the cosy feel that the colour brings and some have even told me that they are taking some ideas home with them.

Joëlle

IMG_7816.jpeg

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

I LOVE this @Joelle43 - greens and natural wood tones are just gorgeous together.  The more comments I'm seeing on this discussion post, the more I really want to do something creative with my living space!

Is there any colour that you think shouldn't be used in decor?  I'm always curious to know where people draw the line - my tendency is to lean towards maximalist interior design!

-----