What next?

Danielle1275
Level 2
Cedar Rapids, IA

What next?

So what do I do when I have been at my Airbnb for six days now and five out of the six days a different gentleman has been in here every day. Yesterday while I was showering a gentleman not and I told him I was in the shower and I panicked because I had no idea what he was here for. Three minutes later he put in the code and enters my dwelling where I was but a$$ naked. This was the last straw for me, I contacted Airbnb yesterday morning, last night somebody called me and told me I would still have to stay here because it’s too late in the evening to do anything. I have been trying again all day today, we are now well over 24 hours and Airbnb is not doing a thing. Should I just contact an attorney? This is only the second time I have ever rented from Airbnb, the first time nearly 3 years ago.. The exact same thing happened on my first trip which is why I vowed to never do this again. 

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Danielle1275 

Did you (also) contacted the host ?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Danielle1275  An Airbnb rep told you that you have to stay? That is absolutely wrong. And no one is forcing you to stay, you can pack your bags and leave. I don't understand why, if this has been happening for 5 days, you didn't report it and cancel on the first day. 

If you just continue to stay somewhere under unacceptable conditions, you can't then expect to be refunded.

That this has happened to twice is rather unusual- what sort of places have you been booking?

@Danielle1275  Are you renting an Entire Home property, or a room in a shared house?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm so sorry to hear this @Danielle1275. Has this been resolved for you in the end? I've also passed this on to the team for you. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

I believe this stay is long over as both sides have left reviews.

Anyone reading this post should have a look at @Danielle1275 's and the host's reviews and responses as there was clearly a lot more going on here and the two sides tell very different stories, e.g. the host says the guys were sent there to do repairs requested by @Danielle1275 , but both sides mention that @Danielle1275 was arrested and incarcerated during this stay.

The host also mentions @Danielle1275 leaving a very similar negative review for her previous host (she has rented more than two Airbnbs, contrary to what she posted above) and threatening to sue them as well but perhaps that host managed to get the review removed.

It is possible that Airbnb did not immediately organise a relocation because the accusations didn't ring true, e.g. if the correspondence showed that the repair men were there to deal with @Danielle1275 's complaints.

I moved out of my apartment on 11 January. I had just moved in there at the beginning of November. I had 10 open work orders and nothing had been fixed in my apartment. My three old son could not take a bath. We could not shut the front door. And we were living with mice! So I chose to move out of the apartment and yes I did leave them a very bad review. I did not lie about this only be the second Airbnb I have rented because it absolutely is.

I looked for an Airbnb at about 1130 at night because the place I was supposed to move to that night fell through. I found Ashley‘s place and I contacted her and she said it wasn’t clean enough that I would have to wait till tomorrow and I advised her I didn’t care about the mess.

The first day a man came to put a weatherstrip on the front door. Second day a Man came to fix the shower and put a lock on the piano that was advertised at the place. The basement was leaking. The faucet under the sink was leaking causing cockroaches.

Long story short seven different people came to the Airbnb within the first five days. One of those times the same man to fix the shower walked right into the Airbnb and saw me naked . as soon as he walked out the door I messaged the house and told her I’m taking this to Airbnb that I have had enough . she proceeded to tell me that I would be messing with the income of her family of six and therefore I contacted Airbnb and told them to disregard. How did I know it was the same man that fix the shower if he did not walk in there and see me? How do I know what he was wearing? How do I know it was over his shoulder? The day her and her husband came over we had a conversation about something I had told her about prior, about a domestic issue I was dealing with. I also advised her that in that situation, my ex-wife had a no contact order on me when she served me with divorce papers to get me out of the house. My three-year-old son and I after that had nowhere to go so we moved in with her parents. We lived with them for six months before I got my new place that I just talked about.

After my ex wife’s father came To my new place and brutally  assaulted me, I posted something on Facebook about them that they did not like and they called the police department and told him that I broke the no contact order??. Well per the law in Iowa I automatically had to be arrested. An officer called me and told me he was not taking me to jail he was going to send it to the county attorneys office to see what they wanted to do about it. This was on a Friday. The following Tuesday I got an email through the court mail system that I am a member of advising me that I had a warrant for my arrest. A bench warrant, not a public one. IEnded up writing the judge an emergency statement asking if I could turn myself in because I had to set up a babysitter, due to the fact that after my father-in-law hit me I was officially the sole provider of my child. He agreed. Anyways the day that they were there fixing the leak under the sink and Ashley and I were talking I told her that I had just received an email about that warrant. I also told her that the judge agreed to allow me to turn myself in. The following day a friend of mine came over to return my son’s car seat and told me that there was somebody outside taking pictures of him. The cops knocked on the door and I opened it and yes it was arrested because there was a warrant for my arrest. They however had no idea about the agreement with the judge. but because I was there in front of them they had to arrest me. I received the police report a couple of days later and found out that the person videotaping was the host Ashley‘s friend Christina.. Police report also states that Ashley had called them around 1 PM advising that I had caused them nothing but problems and she was terminating my stay with Airbnb and wanted help removing me from the property. Apparently they tried to come there before and nobody was there so Christina who was videotaping waved them down when she saw me inside. This is not hearsay, this is all written in the police report. Two hours after my arrest, Ashley sent me a text it said that they packed up all my belongings and removed them. Hundreds of dollars with the food went spoiled. I had three days left in my state and she never canceled it she collected my money. So you can go ahead and assume and speculate what you would like to but there’s the story for you. If you would like, I have all the proof showing that her maintenance man did in fact come in and see me naked and that all of the reports that I am stating with the issues in the place she agreed to. I have police reports and everything else under the sun. You’re **bleep** right I threaten to sue the apartment complex who’s at $1800 of my money to move me in and wouldn’t fix my front door in order to close or fix my bathtub so My three year old could take a bath or remedy the mice situation. So if you would like any of that so you don’t run my name through the mud I would be more than happy to share any of it and all of it with you

Also— I contacted Airbnb at 11:07 am the Sunday morning that gentleman walked in on me. It wasn’t until 8-9pm my time that they finally called me back and they told me they could not put me anywhere that night that I would have to stay for the reservation that night and they’ll put me somewhere the next day.

well within that time is when Ashley contacted me and asked me to tell Airbnb that we resolved it on our own.

only for her to turn around and have me arrested. I did that out of the kindness of my heart, and she SCREWED me over royally.

It absolutely has not. I have decided to stop communicating with Airbnb as this was filed under EMERGENCY and then PRIVACY VIOLATION, and the only thing that has been rendered is the sheer fact that I have been bounced around to approximately 25 different people. I’ve told the same story, sent the same evidence, and nothing gets done. The house is out making money on the property and I am out $1200 amongst hundreds of dollars worth of spoiled food and broken toys. My situation is not only privacy violations. Theft. Harassment. Destruction of property. Illegal eviction…etc.

I am in the process of hiring an attorney to represent me in this matter

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Danielle1275 I'm not sure you have much of a cause of action for illegal eviction unless you stayed there for more than a month, it also may be a stretch expecting the host to reimburse you for a reservation that wasn't cancelled and for any food/items lost due to your removal from the property.  I can only judge by the listing photos, but the place looks brand new and not like the leaky, roach infested needs constant maintenance place of your description.  The money spent for hiring a lawyer may have better uses for you.

Re: What next?

@Danielle1275  Everyone has their own perspective.  If I was in the midst of ending what sounds like an extremely volatile relationship [according to you], moving from airbnb to airbnb

umm please explain how/when I moved from Airbnb to Airbnb? Weirdo. I didn’t and haven’t lol.

most of which are dangerous/needing repairs [according to you] — please point out where I said that

with a 3 year old in tow,  and getting arrested, I would consider that my life was in an extreme state of turmoil.  

lol. Just lol. Goon.

I wish you luck in sorting everything out, but I will stand by my analysis that you don't have a very solid case against your host Ashley.  

thanks for your speculation Mark, didn’t make a difference. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Danielle1275 

The problem is that, firstly, you did not tell the whole story. Secondly, your story keeps changing. In the response to the review, you say that the trouble with the law was due to driving misdemeanours but above you have said it was to do with a no contact order?

I'm not trying to drag your name through the mud. I have no interest in dragging anyone's name through the mud, especially someone I don't know. I'm just pointing out that the host presents a very different side to this story and that both you and the host have posted reviews and responses to reviews that you did not initially detail here. I guess those reviews were published after you posted this thread.

It sounds like you are going through a very troubled period in your life where you don't necessarily have a stable place to stay, but I am afraid you cannot put this on your Airbnb hosts. It's simply not their responsibility and, quite frankly, no, a host and his/her family should not lose their income due to your personal problems.

Well bud, my attorney seems to think differently. Again with the assumptions. 

I said I do not have a criminal record in response to the host’s statement. As in I’ve only ever 

been in trouble for driving suspended?? please tell me how my story has changed? The no contact order was filed to be dropped by the plaintiff long before my arrest, and is being dismissed. Would you also like to know my blood type? I am not in any situation that puts my life in a whirlwind nor do I not have a place to live lol. That speculation **bleep** looks goofy on you. I had a 14 day reservation and a host stole my items on the 11th day. That is my issue. Do you think I wanted to stay there? Do you think I wanted to live there? Lollll. Oook. 😂

also, if I have such a record please explain to me how I’ve worked in healthcare for the last 12 years?? 🙄 coo coo.

I wish you luck in sorting everything out, but I will stand by my analysis that you don't have a very solid case against your host Ashley.  

Danielle1275
Level 2
Cedar Rapids, IA

How about this. Since Airbnb won’t let me post this link you’ll have to type it in but this is all the evidence that I have and that you need.  Please tell me how I did not tell the whole story? What part exactly is missing? 

take a look at everything here, and then try to parent me, k??