When can we expect AI to be trained?

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

When can we expect AI to be trained?

I know many are weary of the constant grumbling about the recent changes in the search forced upon hosts. I am just wondering when we can expect the AI to be fully trained?

In the image below I have conducted the most basic search: West Virginia, USA - any date - 1 guest. I have chosen the bed & breakfast category. Even zoomed in, my listing does not show. It should be in that red circle.

I am not a new host. I've been on ABB for about five years. I was "super host" for most of those, only losing it when I closed my calendar during the worst days of the pandemic. My views-to-date are down 24% over the past 30 days, the freefall beginning April 25.

I have "bed & breakfast" in my listing title, and description. I have images of the guest room, and breakfast table, with descriptions in place.  Now, granted, I do show up when conducting an "All Homes" search. But if a potential guest is searching "Bed and Breakfast" and scrolling the map along our Interstates 64 and 77, they won't find me at all. That is the route my guests are traveling 98% of the time.

So, like many others I would like to know how long it takes the AI to be "trained?" I am getting tired of waiting. Fewer people are seeing my listing so I have less chance of getting booked. 

Or, is the "Bed and Breakfast" category only for those who are incorporated for tax purposes? 

20220601_ABB_bnb_search_firefox.jpg

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Robin129 

Your listing is not in category "bed  & breakfast", but it is in category "Shared homes"

Yes @Emiel1 I know. That is the point. Hosts cannot choose the category. The AI does that.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Robin129 

What AI is also is doing (?):

It changes the photo shown in results when "searching by category"

Your listing shows up with main photo in normal search, but when searching by category (shared homes) it comes up with this:

Emiel1_0-1654123188214.png

I have seen others mention the picture change issue. Right now my concern is that I do not show up in the "bed & breakfast" category. I want to know when the AI will pick up on that, or if there is some reason I do not qualify for that category.

Janelle-and-AJ0
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Interesting topic and I think it's hard to say. the A.I. is never actually 'trained' as it will keep learning and adapting. I feel for you regarding the drop in views and bookings, we're in the same boat and it's quite frustrating. I think if Airbnb could re-add the titles and the review count that would be an immense help (curious if they will). 

It seems like everyone is losing bookings so I'm curious if those bookings are just going to other units on Airbnb or don't exist in the first place or if guests find the platform to cumbersome to use now. Surely, the data will tell us in the coming month. My fear is that people are still booking on Airbnb at the same rate in which case, Airbnb will have no incentive to make changes since they're still getting paid.

I'm very surprised that they removed the review count of all things. Airbnb's biggest problem is that guest's don't trust it and rightfully so, there's a lot of bad hosts out there who don't have accurate listings and cancel last minute (This forum is filled with horror storied). To me, the term 'Superhost' coupled with a large number of review spoke volume to the consumer in the form of trust and accuracy. I'm not sure why they would get rid of that.... 

The updates should have gone as followed in my opinion:

-> Filter for high to low in price

-> Useful categories (2 bedrooms, 3 bedroom, 1 bedroom ect)

-> Proof of STR insurance to Airbnb, this would filter out most of the bad hosts in my opinion 

-> Make the requirements for Superhost harder, it's by far to easy.

-< Loyalty program for guests

But instead, we got 50 different categories which aren't necessary and serve a very small portion of the actual market. Like who can afford to go stay in those $17k/night spots featured on the home page? The arrogance is absolutely disgusting. It's time that Airbnb realize it's target market which is the average person traveling to a city for what ever reason (sports game, small vacation,  Dr. Apt ect) who just want a clean, safe and comfy place to rest their head. 

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

@Janelle-and-AJ0 I agree, somewhat, and disagree, somewhat. I agree with re-adding the listing names and review counts.

I see your point on the terrible hosts. As a home share host I have a different perspective. I share a room in my home. repeated cancellations reflect negatively on my listing. I have received many hits against my listing in reviews for things that are not within my control. For instance, location.

I am where I am. I cannot move my listing just because someone doesnt' like the location. Yet, I get 4/5 stars for location at least twice a year. Guests really have to look at the map. 

I've had guests ding me because my bathroom is downstairs and the guestroom is upstairs. This is clearly noted in the listing description. Guest oftentimes do not read the descriptions. Same with my checkin/out times.

It is plainly stated in the first couple sentences of my listing that checkin is from 3:00-6:00 pm and checkout is by 9:00 am. Yet, I frequently find myself reaching out to incoming guests to check on their arrival only to learn they "didn't know" checkin was by 6:00 pm and they are still 2 hours out. 

So, as a home share host I have a very different experience than those who do not live in their ABB units. 

Yeah for sure; that’s brutal 😞