When you’re just about burnt out?

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

When you’re just about burnt out?

This post isn’t so much about getting answers  it’s more a ‘anyone else feeling this way?

This year has been busy and I’m grateful for it.  Our usual overseas visitors  and guests attending local weddings have been replaced by staycationers  staying a little longer.  

I’m absolutely burnt out, not with the work (I have an amazing housekeeper) but with the sheer volume of ‘peopling’’ and trying to communicate with folk that can’t/won’t.

Are any of you at this stage/have been at this point?  How did you get through it?  

Our reviews are great and everyone leaves happy but I’m done in.  Block out January? 

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Amanda660 

If you feel burnt out, then it is indeed best to take a break to reload again. Or temporary bring (some) tasks to somebody else.

"but with the sheer volume of ‘peopling’’ and trying to communicate with folk that can’t/won’t."

Please explain more details about this issue.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Amanda660   Winter is slow season for me, but I also decided to block out a few days over New Year, to take some time off.  I generally only get one or two bookings in January and February - I'm ready for the break !

I was ready to snooze my listing, a few weeks ago, but I had existing reservations to work through.  I extended my prep time from one day on either end to two days on either end, since I kept getting people booking reservations that only gave me one day to prepare - this was wearing me out, since I do everything myself.  It wouldn't be worth doing if I had to hire a cleaning service. 

There's also winter maintenance I have to do - painting, and things like that.  I may extend my week off into January, by a second or third week. 

One has to take a break from it all, once in a while.  It's stressful having people in my house all the time, even if they are in a separate space and I don't see them.  I'm always thinking about things like making sure there's enough hot water,  worrying about  if there's a sudden power outage or internet outage,  checking in with them to make sure they are ok, trying to be reasonably accessible in case they lock the key inside (which does happen, in spite of my detailed lock box instructions) etc etc. 

And, of course, wondering if they are going to be great guests or not, and what the place will look like after they check out. 

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

@Amanda660 It’s time for a break.  Enjoy it. Come back with a renewed sense of excitement for your next guests. You’re doing great! 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Amanda660 I gave up the ‘peopling’ long ago, that’s how I got through it. I’ve had the busiest season ever and it was longer than usual. I’ve had a back to back turnovers almost everyday since June (I have three listings and do all the cleaning myself - a group is always checking in or out somewhere.) I’m less stressed and annoyed this year then previously. I think it’s because I don’t take it personally anymore if guests are crappy communicators. And I don’t feel bad about saying NO or sticking to my policies. Essentially, I just take their money and run.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Amanda660 that does appear to be more challenging hosting a 4 bedroom house. In comparison I have a one bedroom guest apartment attached to my house, so not as much communication necessary. I find most guest have very limited communication so try to get all the info I need when they book. I'd say your are doing great, as its very challenging to screen guest as host are expected to maintain a high booking rate. I thought I was doing it wrong as I set it up to be very limited contact or communication, but that turned out to be exactly what guest want. I did have a recent guest who begged for me to meet and hang out with them, wanted to hand out candy for trick or treating. I got candy and decorated the porch. But the guy was wacky. For example, said his phone quit charging the night before arriving. I offered an alcohol wipe to clean it, he then claimed I broke it, when I didn't touch it, but later took it to the apple store and they cleaned it for him, so messaged to say I was right. But I felt a lot better about not being available to guest. I'm also having guest this year every day of the year, including holidays. The only time I've taken of was a few weeks back in March of 2000 because of covid, and even though I had only been hosting a few months was weird getting back into it. I also recently declined my first two guest that was also stressful. I've always thought guest should expect exactly what is offered in the listing. If guest ask if they can bring their mom next time, I'm perfectly honest and explain that as much as I wish there was more flexibility I have to keep it exactly how its offering the listing description.   

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Amanda660  Even though I host remotely I was burnt out by August and shut my calendar to new bookings until late October.  I went up to my Airbnb and stayed there for 2 and a half months and just tried to re-group and remind myself why I enjoyed the place and even hosting.  It took some time, but it worked.  So definitely go ahead and do anything you need to do to de-stress and get back to what inspires you.

Helen444
Level 3
Hutto, TX

@ Amanda660 We have a bit of a different situiation since we are a full service b&b. We live here, and offer complimentary breakfast( both hot and cold)  a paid brunch, all made fresh by yours truly. I also offer 5 course dinners with wine pairings and happy hour. So when we have even a full weekend which would be 9 people, I am usually exhausted.  I also do all the cleaning and the house is 6300 sqf, with 3000 of it being tile that has to be mopped. We take great care of our guests , treating them like royalty, so I understand burn out.

We rarely have weekly bookings, or for that matter bookings longer 4 days, for which I am gratefull.

I typically close down for December because of the need to have undisturbed family time,(and it takes me forever to decorate) 🙂 You do what you need to do to keep going, or you won't do it well.

IMG_0070.JPG

Helen Harrison-Markow
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I stopped hosting at the start of covid, haven't recommeced yet but beginning to feel a fresh interest. Fully understand peopling.  It's very tiring, esp if you give out high energy. I have learnt to reign it in a little, out of practise now as I haven't seen many people for a long time (covid lockdowns). But it can be done so that you beam out less. Hope this doesn't sound too flakey @Amanda660 ! Have a rest until you start to miss it. I worked non stop for many years, hardly a day off.