Worst Experience possible

Answered!
Kush36
Level 1
Bengaluru, India

Worst Experience possible

I had booked a flat on AIR BNB platform on 4th May 2022 for a check in on 9th July (till 23rd July)

I get a confirmation , get charged . Get emails from AIR BNB about check in etc - 3 days before the check . I send Messages to the Host on the platform & on the numbers provided by the host . The host does not respond . The Booking is non cancellable - So I should assume - it is all fine booked & whether or not - I do not have a choice but to be committed to the booking - as money is taken - which is non refundable & I have no way of checking .. if the host does not respond

When we reach the Flat for check -in and as per instructions contact the Concierge for Check-in , To our surprise the concierge says no such instructions to him to let us in & then he speaks to his so called manager on the phone which shocks us when we hear that the Building will not allow any AIR BNB guests on the premises & that this was communicated to all the flat owners long back. My grief starts with the thought that the host knew long back he could not host us then why did he not communicate the same or respond to our calls .

The horror continues after that when AIR BNB still want to give the host the benefit of doubt before helping a family who has flown more than 10 hours from across the continent - travelled two hours from the airport . Even after the one hour has passed I had to call AIR BNB to see what happens next - then the support staff sends a message saying booking is cancelled - But my money will reach me after my check out date ??? Why ??

I don’t have a place to stay with a family on roads , no money (my money blocked for no fault of mine ) - no alternative accommodation.

Yes air BNB staff send me links on the app to see suitable accommodation - but how do I book till the host responds & AIR BNB asks me wait minimum 24 hours for host to respond . How do I book Immediately ….???

So does AIR BNB expect me stay on ROADS till the new host responds . I wanted to speak to the support staff to understand the process & my options - But whichever person answer my calls - said they can’t help me & only the first person who took my call will help me & will call me back - BUT she never did & no one was ready to help me

Was I Asking for too much - when I am left on the roads with no accommodation after a long journey & my money blocked .

The support staff messaged me once that she can not connect to me on my phone - when I offered to call back - no response & when ever I call back no one can answer my questions or help me & all say that only she will call back - but she does not …..

Worst Support
Worst way of communication
A booking Cancelled by Host with no intimation - Host is not responding - NOW…..How can AIR BNB call it cancelled by host at the check in time - and leave us on the roads
& after that no support what soever
Imagine you arrive at your destination after 10 hrs of flight - 2 hours from airport to your destination & your host does not respond & Air BNB is worried about call charges & do not want to call to support. If I call the person who answers does not want to support - saying the original support staff can only handle ... they can't transfer call , she want call me & I can't call her - How do I Get support. After all this AIR BNB initiates a refund saying host cancelled - Now it will take 15 days for me to get my Money (as of now that is the status ) What if I don't have alternate funds - I am on the ROADS - thanks AIR BNB

1 Best Answer
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Kush36   I am so sorry this happened and can only imagine how stressful that must have been for you, particularly after such a long journey.  Unfortunately, there are some hosts out there who should not be on the platform due to these types of issues.  Obviously, as you received the check in details, presumably from Airbnb, then it would be quite natural for you to assume that all was well.  Under the circumstances I would have as well.

The problem here is the Host not being honest with Airbnb.  Airbnb expect all guests and hosts to be honest and sometimes they will have difficulty in determining the correct course of action when they have little information to go by.

What you can do, is ask Airbnb to issue you with a travel credit to use for another reservation rather than a refund.  Also if you use an ‘Instant Book’ property rather that an ‘enquiry’ or a ‘request’ then you will not have to wait up to 24 hours for an answer.

It is possible that the customer services representative you spoke to was inexperienced and did not fully present you with all your options, or possibly explained them poorly.  Please do call them back and ask them what your options are now in order to resolve this situation quickly.

5 Replies 5
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Kush36   I am so sorry this happened and can only imagine how stressful that must have been for you, particularly after such a long journey.  Unfortunately, there are some hosts out there who should not be on the platform due to these types of issues.  Obviously, as you received the check in details, presumably from Airbnb, then it would be quite natural for you to assume that all was well.  Under the circumstances I would have as well.

The problem here is the Host not being honest with Airbnb.  Airbnb expect all guests and hosts to be honest and sometimes they will have difficulty in determining the correct course of action when they have little information to go by.

What you can do, is ask Airbnb to issue you with a travel credit to use for another reservation rather than a refund.  Also if you use an ‘Instant Book’ property rather that an ‘enquiry’ or a ‘request’ then you will not have to wait up to 24 hours for an answer.

It is possible that the customer services representative you spoke to was inexperienced and did not fully present you with all your options, or possibly explained them poorly.  Please do call them back and ask them what your options are now in order to resolve this situation quickly.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Kush36 This is a horrible experience and I really do sympathize with what you and your family has gone through. However, there are some lessons-learned for the future airbnb reservations:

1.  When you reach out to a host prior to traveling and don’t get a response, contact AirBnB immediately. Not only did this host appear to be dishonest, but in another scenario, the host could have been hospitalized or died. 
2.Never, ever, EVER travel without more than one credit card. A million and one things can happen while you’re enroute. 

Again, this was a horrible situation and I sincerely hope that you are able to review him/her. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Kush36 

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Can you let us know what the outcome was - did Airbnb Support get back to you?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kush36
Level 1
Bengaluru, India

Not on the Phone ... Sending message on the app - which are irrelevant . They are talking about plumbing problems in the accommodation I never got & messaging about fights I have had with the host or ghost they mean as my host never spoke to me...They are totally messed up & mixed up ....

Thanisha0
Level 1
Methuen, MA

I rented an airbnb in Florida, when I am about to go to sleep after spending almost 5 hours in the house I noticed there were bed bugs in the bed. I call Airbnb support and they tell me that if I was not bitten nor does the bed have any blood stains they can’t do anything. They wouldn’t move me else where and I had to throw all my clothes away and look for a place to stay