air bnb guests stolen our stuff

Doyle1
Level 2
Australia

air bnb guests stolen our stuff

hi guys, i just really need help or advice here as seems like air bnb taking a very long time to sort this out for me *more than 14 days

i have "Airbnb guests" who have stolen $15,000 worth of stuff from my property things like, camera, laptop, projectors, the whole entire house got searched by them. 

(police reported, fingerprint recorded and CCTV footage available) but Airbnb seem to not cover me as the liability insurance only covers guests (not host)

any suggestion? or what should i do next?

i am a superhost 113 review with only 5 stars

3 Replies 3
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Doyle1 

Sorry to hear about your loss.  It is well known with experienced hosts that they should not rely on Airbnb to cover loss.

Hopefully you have commercial rental insurance. Try filing a personal commercial claim with your insurance provider.

Good luck!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would call Airbnb every day until they respond. 

also claim on your own STR home insurance for STRs

of course you should be able to trust guests with your listings but leaving items such as laptops , projectors and camera's in your home is risky unless securely locked away in something like a locked attic. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Doyle1 

I'm afraid there is no option for host to require proof of finger prints from guest at this time. There is the option to require government ID to Airbnb. I'm not sure how much that would help for a shared space, where guest have full access to entire space. For proof the police will likely need to recover the stolen items that may be for sale somewhere and can link that to the guest. And while I hope you get this resolved, the Airbnb insurance isn't a replacement for STR insurance. It should be host responsibility to not leave out cameras, laptops, etc, in a shared space. However if you had them locked in a bed room, and have video proof of them breaking into the room and taking things that would certainly help with any kind of shared rental. Its just challenging to prove your roommate stole something, as someone else may have. Even with a entire house rental or apartment I think it would be very challenging to prove guest stole something, although its worth a shot as Airbnb may offer some kind of compensation if host has original receipts, etc.