check in

Elaine772
Level 2
Langhorne, PA

check in

my question is about payment to host when guest checks in.   My understanding is hosts get paid when guest checks in. But is it safe to assume that "check in" is just a date in airbnb system?  what is best way for guests to protect themselves if host does not provide access to property?  I understand this is quite rare. But is is possible to have host with no prior rentals.  If i show up at check in date and time and there is no key and i am unable to reach host and will notify airbnb immediately that i was not allowed to check in and host will tell airbnb i am lying, what happens next? How can i prove to airbnb that i am telling the truth?

29 Replies 29
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Elaine772   If you are unsure about a host, rent from an experienced host, not from someone with no reviews or who is a new host.  Be sure to know what their cancellation policy is as well.  AirBnB is paid by you when you booked, but does not pay the host until after your arrival.  

If you do arrive at a property at the arrival date and time and are unable to check-in for whatever reason, contact AirBnB, make your complaint and ask to cancel if the host is unreachable or not responding.  You may be refunded (or not) per the terms of the cancellation policy, rehoused, or refunded in full by CS.

Elaine772
Level 2
Langhorne, PA

@Lorna170 this is not what asked.  before you became superhost, someone took chance with you. I dont want to cancel, i want be able to check in. if host is a crook and claims he allowed me to check in and in fact he did not, how do i prove to airbnb that i am the one telling the truth? I am assuming in case like that i will get full refund so i can go someplace else to rent.

@Elaine772 how does the host prove that you checked in, when in fact you didn’t??? Airbnb doesn’t take the host’s word for everything. Quite the opposite actually.

Just call Airbnb customer service, they will try to contact the host. If they can’t reach the host they will tell you the next steps which will likely include issuing a refund.

@Emilia42   this is not what i asked. if airbnb contacted host and host told them i am there how do i prove opposite to airbnb?

@Elaine772 You didn’t answer my question. How can the host prove that you checked In if you truly didn’t? Why are you just assuming Airbnb will take the host’s word over yours with no proof?

@Emilia42 i could not care less what host will or will not do. all i know most fees airbnb collects is from guests so refund will hurt bnb bottom line. and there are only so many hosts and multiples of that amounts who are guests just waiting to be screwed by airbnb. airbnb is such great company, all they have to do is post link they help afghan refugees. meanwhile it is company from hell. please go away, you are useless

Best of luck to you, @Elaine772 

@Elaine772 I have noticed your posts the last couple of days and you seem to be rather rude and not very well mannered. This is a community where we try to help each other - hosts and guests. And you will find lots of regulars with lots of knowlegde when it comes to what is important to know when it comes to Airbnb. 

I can tell you that a first time host is not paid by Airbnb for at least a week after the first guest checks in for security reasons. Your other question about Airbnb not believing a guest who arrives to a non existing listing etc. is not an issue. Otherwise it would have been a thing in this community. As a host I pay the 15% Airbnb fee. 

this is first piece of useful information i got.  at least i will have 1 week to prove that listing does not exist.  if this happens. i think it is unlikely. i just like to be ready for all kind of possibilities. i am not going to apologize, if you find me rude that is fine. i just want information and dont like when people waste my time.  but thank you.  there would not be alternative airbnb  host community if hosts felt this community has any value. 

@Elaine772 

see here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/425/when-youll-get-your-payout

I think you will find more help on the Airbnb help pages. Why don’t you read as much as you can there to educate yourself since you are not finding any help here.

i read it before i posted and this exactly why i posted, check in date is nothing more than a variable in airbnb system to pay host. i will be on airbnb mercy to fight fraud. I dont remember if you or someone else posted that new hosts wait 7 days, it is not in that link and it turns out 7 days is for ACH transfer, If host wants to be paid by paypal, it is next day and host i am worrying about is most likely has paypal.  

@Elaine772   I don't know how you can prove to CS that the host is lying about you being checked in.  It would be a "he said, she said" situation.  If this has already happened to you, report the host to customer service and demand to be rehoused or refunded.  Then contact your credit card company.

If you are that mistrusting of the AirBnB platform and are afraid that you may run into a host that is a crook, rent a hotel room or use a local real estate company who has short term rental properties and has a physical office you can go to to complain and don't use AirBnB.  

@Lorna170 please go away.  if you dont know answer to my question just go do something else.  why should i care about host will do? i only care what should i do. And i can only hope your next guest  trashes your place and airbnb pays you nothing. 

@Elaine772 there is absolutely no need to be so rude to people, who are only trying to offer you helpful advice! And wishing for someone's business to get trashed - so uncalled for and yet revealing 😕

If community's advice seems so displeasing to you, perhaps you would be better off asking these questions from Airbnb's notorious customer service.