covid

Answered!
Paul44
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

covid

To Myra, Airbnb Support.

Thank you for contacting me.  I had a horrible experience yesterday Myra.  I carelessly agreed to a request to book from  a couple from South Africa. They asked for a quick response.  They messaged around 8.30p.m. and I responded within about 2  ½ hours I think.  I then thought it through a bit more and realised I was taking risks with Covid. This couple were set to arrive hours before new Covid traveller restrictions were to be  imposed by my government. The new restrictions would mean they must be tested on arrival and quarantine for ten days. But they were arriving just before that and coming to my place. I had no way to know if they would be Covid free. They didn’t say anything about it in their request to book.  The South African strain of Covid has been discovered to be resistant to the Oxford vaccine that the over -70s including my wife and me have had here in England. The couple have since written to me saying they had negative tests before leaving, but even so, think about it: they would then be sitting on a plane with other travellers for 6000 miles!  So, I tried then to contact them but the message option would repeatedly fail on Airbnb's webpage. I eventually called their number. They didn’t answer. By then, I was supposed to have gone to bed, it was past midnight and I was freaked about the risk I could be letting myself, my wife and my neighbours and community in for:  the risk of exposure I would be facilitating. I decided to cancel. That’s when my problems escalated. The cancellation regime on Airbnb is clearly made to scare us into not cancelling. I kept repeatedly typing in my reasons for cancellation. It kept on getting rejected - orange letter words saying" too many characters". When for the third or fourth time I edited it down, each time making my comprehensive explanation less and less coherent and convincing, I got the message " too FEW characters" and then, repeatedly, I arrived at a dead end page saying I "exceeded my quota" and to contact support.  I was getting tired, frustrated - and angry too, and all the while thinking the guests might be booking flights and yes, I did not want to inconvenience them - even though I had no way of knowing if they WERE evading the new rules or not.  I regret the panicky and abrupt message I managed to send them after eventually making my way to my message board....But the point is I was lacking any certainty and potentially risking the safety of my community here in Oxford.  I called support. I waited 5 minutes and got cut off!  Then I had to call again-- waited another 5 minutes. By this time I was so agitated that when the guy told me my reasons for cancelling were not legitimate and I would be charged $100 I flipped out and swore at the poor guy.  Anyway I am still annoyed with Airbnb. The website didn’t work well, the too many and too few characters is plainly bloody awkward, it seems more like deliberately set up to frustrate one's determination, and I have formed the opinion that Airbnb cancellation procedures are manipulative and bullying protocols ....ESPECIALLY egregious when the pandemic requires all corporations to modify their thirst for profit in favour of the good health and safety of the citizens who make up their revenue base. I have blanked off my calendar for the next several months. I am fed up with Airbnb. Anyhow, Thanks for contacting me. Goodnight. Paul.

1 Best Answer
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Paul44 It is only legal to host guests for WORK, and a small number of other reasons deemed essential; i.e. house moves & funerals. Travel for holidays or visiting friends & family is NOT allowed!

Have you read the top line on your own listing, where ALL UK listings now have a banner stating that travel is illegal except in a few limited exceptions? 

I home share, and I always ask prospective guests why they are wanting to stay. If it's a doctor, nurse or pharmacist, or someone doing something essential at the nuclear reprocessing plant, then fine! (so long as I'm happy we can social distance in my house,which we can.) I've turned down many in this Lockdown 3 who were wanting to work from home, on the basis that they can stay where they are. And seeing the sights is not allowed!

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul44 Do you realise this is a community forum?

I am sorry but changing your mind is not really a legitimate reason for cancelling hence the fine. Also was it even legal for you to host in the first place? There are very strict laws regarding this in the UK at present.

i didnt know that    is it legal or not? do you know?

@Paul44 the legality depends entirely on why they were visiting. Hosts really need to understand the latest regulations available on gov.uk  as they can be fined significant amounts for breaking the law.

I'm grateful you pointed this out. I'm glad  I have blanked my calendar for the foreseeable.

Helen350
Level 10

@Paul44 It is only legal to host guests for WORK, and a small number of other reasons deemed essential; i.e. house moves & funerals. Travel for holidays or visiting friends & family is NOT allowed!

Have you read the top line on your own listing, where ALL UK listings now have a banner stating that travel is illegal except in a few limited exceptions? 

I home share, and I always ask prospective guests why they are wanting to stay. If it's a doctor, nurse or pharmacist, or someone doing something essential at the nuclear reprocessing plant, then fine! (so long as I'm happy we can social distance in my house,which we can.) I've turned down many in this Lockdown 3 who were wanting to work from home, on the basis that they can stay where they are. And seeing the sights is not allowed!

Helen350
Level 10

@Paul44 

A quick tip when dealing with Customer Services:

- Use bullet points!

- Be as concise as possible

- Stick to essential facts; don't give unnecessary information!

CS staff are outsourced, inexperienced, very poorly trained,usually based in the Philippines, and speak English as a foreign language. 

You will probably have more success if you communicate with the above in mind!  (Tis the modern world!) 🙂

@Paul44  If you don't think you could safely host someone who turned out to be a contagious carrier of a new variant of Covid, it's probably too soon to be accepting bookings from anyone - regardless of whether they're visiting from.  It's not your job to enforce a foreign policy; you can leave that to trained border control agents.

I hope you are fully up to date on the current laws, as @Mike-And-Jane0  mentioned. I also agree, there's not a "host thought better of it later" exemption from the cancellation penalties as far as I'm aware.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paul44  This is not where to respond to the customer service rep-you have posted this on a discussion forum.

Guests from South Africa are no more likely to be infected with COVID than guests from your own country or anywhere else. 

It's no wonder the virus keeps spreading if people don't understand this basic fact.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Paul44  I think mistakes happen and we often try to fix them as best we can. Canceling someone last minute always carries higher consequences for the guest and the platform. Hopefully ABB will take into consideration that the system needs improvement to correct a lapse of judgement in last minute reservation like this. You may try boilding all of that down into a concise points. You made a mistake and tried to cancel it straight away but they website wasn't functioning properly. You also tried messaging but it was also not working. Again you tried calling but couldn't reach anyone. Mistakes happen but once you confirm a reservaion, that train has left the station, and guest may not have a place to stay or scrambling last minute, which carries higher risk for them as well. Good luck!