Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

👍🏻

Annie
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I think with this style of traveling, you should do 1 of 2 things when you are searching for a property:

1) Look for an Airbnb with a keycode. Ask the host during the Inquiry or Request to Book if it is ok to check in any time after the designated check-in time. There are plenty of properties that would be fine with this.

2) Stay in hotels, or other places with a flexible check-in.

I understand all of your concerns about having to specify an ETA, that you might have to bother the host by calling to reschedule, etc. I also respect, however, a host’s style and preferences for their particular property. There is no standard or correct protocol. Sometimes it takes a bit of communicating beforehand to find the right fit.

None of this helps you with your current situation, however. Having not asked questions and/or made arrangements beforehand, I think I would try as much as possible to provide a half-hour window of arrival with this particular host, 1 hour at the most.

Thanks Pat! We’ve gotten used to self check-ins and very flexible hosts who had little or nothing to do with us, even with houses where it was just a room we were staying in so we were a bit overwhelmed with this host since we’ve never had anyone ask us constantly exact ETA. As I mentioned, we already gave her approximate time which we thought would suffice. We were intending to arrive at that time too. But I guess she wanted to be exact. 

We’ve always done Airbnbs for the reason that they are cheaper than hotels, and so option 2 would defeat the purpose of why we stay in Airbnbs in the first place. But option 1 is definitely something that we have yet to try. We haven’t had to do a lot of communicating with hosts, since we’ve been lucky in our past 5 stays that we’ve had very hands-off hosts. 

Also as per everyone’s awareness why I *deleted* all that I had posted, it was because after sitting back and thinking on it for a while, I realized it wasn’t fair how I have somewhat complained about this host even though I had not met her yet. I didn’t think it was fair and so I took it down in this way. Hope you guys understand and I apologize for the confusion!