host requesting i send ID to a phone number

host requesting i send ID to a phone number

I am a new member just requested a booking for a place listed as new with only one rating.  Host is requesting I send front and back of my ID to a phone number?

Scam?

11 Replies 11
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Lawrence223 

Probably not a scam.

You have no reviews so the host wants verification that you are not attempting to scam her.

You should send your information through the Airbnb website though, not to a private number. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Lawrence223  You should be able to upload any ID information via the airbnb platform rather than send it to someone's personal phone.  But, a lot of areas/countries require significant info including in some cases passport or ID information to be registered w/the local government, so it could be this as well. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Lawrence223 I would be hesitant to comply. As Mark says, there could be a legitimate reason why the host need more info from you, depending on where this listing is located, but you need to know more about the why. When a guest uploads ID through the platform, it isn’t shared with hosts. Have you asked the host why they want you to do this?

Host Did not reply as to why by phone # and not Airbnb 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lawrence223 does the listing require that you send this information?

Not mentioned

Thanks for all the advise.  I decided to look for other options

@Lawrence223 

No response from the host is a very bad sign. I think you are wise to look for something else.

On the off-chance that the host is legitimate but ignorant, you might send one more message to the host stating that, "Because you did not communicate with me regarding your unusual request for my ID, I have decided to seek other accommodations."

If you don't get a response to that I suspect that they were, indeed, trying to obtain your information for some illicit purpose.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lawrence223  As a new member with no reviews yet, I would suggest you fill out the profile write up. It's much easier to get accepted as a new guest the more info you provide on your profile.

And no, I wouldn't send my ID to a phone number- phone numbers are not allowed to be exchanged anyway until a booking is confirmed, so it would have to be done in some sneaky fashion, which  is a red flag. And anything a host requires in the way of info from guests should been stated in the listing ad.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Lawrence223  I am so glad you found this forum to ask your question before you responded to the host request.  While it may not be any type of scam, the host was not acting in accordance with the Air BNB terms, which may be a sign of ignorance of the platform, but might also be a flag that the host needs to become more familiar.  While many time both hosts and guest decry the Air BNB policies for various reasons, many of the policies are there to protect both the host and the guest in a transaction that takes a great amount of trust.  Not perfect by any means, but worth paying attention to.

Thanks, It’s great that this forum is so responsive and helpful.