hosting Afghan refugees

Answered!
Thomas2477
Level 2
Washington, DC

hosting Afghan refugees

Where on the airbnb website does it spell out the process for hosting Afghan refugees (payment, vetting the guests, special protocols for the refugees' needs, how to modify the listing in order to be a refugee host, ...)?

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME
16 Replies 16
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Emilia42   You are just on top of everything!  Great response that I didn't know about.  Thanks!

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

This is the official news, including the Airbnb.org link: https://news.airbnb.com/afghan-refugees/

@Till-and-Jutta0  As one of Airbnb's appointed reps for hosts can you ask them why they decided to make a global announcement about the scheme without bothering to have any information available on their charity website about how the scheme  would work and how hosts could register.

the only info on the charity site is about the existing scheme where hosts offer free accommodation during disasters.

it seems incredulous that Airbnb wouldn't bother to put information up about the scheme on both their websites with a simple sign up form to capture interest - rather than causing lots of confusion amongst hosts and impacting on the credibility of the scheme by for some bizarre reason only having information available on their news page.

clearly shouting about their largess in the media us more important to them than keeping hosts who will be critical to the success of the initiative informed . 

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

@Helen3 Thank you for your thoughts. I as a host can see both options now: Refugees and asylum seekers / People impacted by a disaster. Payment plan is still missing.

Thomas2477
Level 2
Washington, DC

Thank you all.   I did already see the official news, but on re-reading I see that "in the coming days, Airbnb and Airbnb.org plan to share details on how Hosts and the broader community can support this initiative." So, I/we just need to wait for AirBnB to share the details.

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

New message from Airbnb

Very excited to share that https://www.airbnb.org/refugees is now live! Each of your group members can participate in 2 ways:

1. Sign up to host. Can you host a free stay for a refugee family? Are you able to host at a discounted flat rate? Would you be willing to host at your normal rate? Airbnb is paying for the first 20,000 refugees that are placed by our partner organizations, but we anticipate that the demand will outpace this initial commitment.

2. Donate. Hosts can give a one time, tax deductible donation directly to the Refugee Fund via the website. Additionally, Hosts that sign up for a recurring donation will earn the "Airbnb.org Supporter" badge, which lives on your profile and is called out in red at the bottom of your listing. If you donate as little as 1% of your earnings, you can have a huge impact over time!

Hello @Till-and-Jutta0 

once again Airbnb has messed up by asking hosts to take refugees with a sign up process which tells you you can put in a charge rate - but when you go through the process only allows you the option to accommodate guests for free.

bad enough that they took nearly a week to provide the information but then to compound it by not offering host the options to charge makes a mockery of the whole scheme.

if they can't get something so simple right I have no confidence that they can run something as complex as providing supported accommodation for refugees 

I've registered instead to offer accommodation through my local government and suggest other hosts do the same or whoever is leading on resettlement schemes in your area. They know what they are doing, have proper vetting systems in place and support packages for refugee families . 

@Helen3  I'm not surprised.  I took a quick look through the Q&A and didn't see any mention of how Airbnb was vetting refugees nor any mention of any kind of dedicated help line that would assist either guests or hosts if there are problems/miscommunications or whatever issues with a stay.  That seems quite basic to me.  

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Air is paying for the first 20,000 individuals and not families?

And for how long?

And at the hosts advertised nightly rate? Or at an Airbnb fixed/capped rate? 

Andrea4221
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I’ve signed up but it’s not clear how you change your rates. I’m be happy to host a refugee for free but I don’t think I’ve indicated this…..

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

Please see/reply to my earlier post I've already pointed out that if you go through the sign up process you are linking to - there is no option to put in a day rate you have to offer accommodation for free. @Till-and-Jutta0 

Can I suggest you go through the sign up process yourself to see what I mean?

@Stephanie  can you check please