hosts pay for covid refunds?

Georgina181
Level 1
Nelson, New Zealand

hosts pay for covid refunds?

I'm feeling really stupid and confused! A guest has just cancelled a booking for Jan 2021 due to Covid international travel issues. I understand it is not covered by the airbnb  covid policy. I have a strict cancellation policy but feel its the right thing to agree to a full refund. The policy automatically gave back $399 refund when she cancelled. The 'full refund' amount was a further $822 even though my payout update after the $399 said $797 (?). My payout is now 0. My main confusion however is the email after pressing the 'issue full refund' button. It says I have sent $822 to guest and this will be taken out of my next upcoming payout. But I have had no payout from this booking and never will, so does that mean I have just paid to refund this guest from my other upcoming guest payouts and Airbnb keep the cancelled guest's money already paid to them for the booking other than then automatic $399 paid back as allowed by my cancellation policy??

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Georgina181 This is confusing many people and its not at all clear what is actually going on.

Some have reported that they are not being paid for current stays until they have worked down the balance of the refund.

There is no way that Airbnb can keep the guests money (except for their service fee) and I am confident you will be able to sort it out in the end.

I would host your next guests and see what happens - Keep a sharp eye on your transactions and contact Airbnb if you are not paid for your next reservation.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Georgina181 

I believe that in agreeing to the guest refund you have voided your cancellation policy and would not be able to legally reclaim your losses.

A Covid cancellation for 2021? Is that for real or just a “get out of jail for free” card? I think you might have been duped.

For other hosts facing this situation, what has happened is your next bookings will not be paid but instead funds will be held back from you to - as my understanding - to compensate for AirBnb income projections in order to protect their cash flow.

You should be no party to this, and should contact AirBnb and confirm in writing that they WILL be paying your next bookings into your account as normal. Otherwise, if you don’t do this now you will find yourself financing AirBnb cash flow with withheld payments. Cast your inquiries around this CC and Facebook and Internet discussion groups to find that this is a regular irregular practice. You have NO outstanding debt to anybody in your guest cancelling And you should expect payment for your upcoming bookings as they occur.

Don’t wait. Seek confirmation now.