new coronavirus terms and conditions???

Ankur18
Level 1
England, GB

new coronavirus terms and conditions???

After hearing about the coronavirus outbreak in Spain with Spain itself going into lockdown, I contacted Airbnb support on 15th March for advice. They suggested I contact the host in the first instance. The host has pointblank refused a refund despite travel advice and without any concern of the safety of the general public.

I let some time pass and contacted Airbnb on 18th March as Spain declared lockdown. They suggested I wait as the situation may change.

I contacted Airbnb again on 21st March as now my flight has been cancelled and The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises British people against all but essential travel worldwide due to unprecedented international border closures and other restrictions.

Please bear in mind each time I have contacted airbnb I have had to hold for 30mins before eventually talking to someone and when I have done they are absolutely of no help at all. 

I sent my flight cancellation details even with a link showing Spain is in lockdown (as requested by the case manager). The case manager has basically told me that because of the coronavirus extenuating circumstances a refund is not due even though my flight has been cancelled. If you are not aware, your terms and conditions specifically state guests are entitled to refunds if their flight is cancelled and there are no other means of travel. 

Please could you answer the following:
  1. Do you think it is safe (for both me and the general public) for me to be travelling at this time?
  2. Please could you tell me if there an alternative means of travel that would get me to Barcelona as suggested by your colleagues?
  3. Does the introduction of the new coronavirus extenuating circumstances preclude the previous terms and conditions?
I look forward to hearing from you.
1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ankur18   It appears you are new to this platform so you do not realize that your posting is not being seen by Air BNB staff but is a public forum for hosts and guests.  As a host who has provided and agreed with 100% refunds for travel restrictions and event cancellations related to the covid 19 pandemic, I have experienced Air BNB being slow and at times wrong in their refunding process.  That being said, I have also seen that all the errors were reversed and all the guests got the refunds.  In reality Air BNB is scrambling like so many others to react appropriately. i suggest to go ahead and file for a refund, then be patient and persistent to get the refund.  Good luck and stay safe.