"I am doing you the service of booking with you"

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

"I am doing you the service of booking with you"

Uh...

Got a booking inquiry that said this:

"Hi Laura-

I am interested in booking your cottage. Looks very nice. I do wonder why there is a guest limit. Your place has 2 bathrooms which others in the area do not have and those one bathroom places sleep 6-8 people. We plan to bring between 5-7 family members and our dog a 50lb well-trained lab. I am doing you the service of booking with you so I would like to understand why you wouldn't allow me to bring more people to align with other places I am looking at. I wouldn't want to lose the money if I were you. Please respond soon as I am making my decision. Thanks!"

I mean....can people get any more entitled?

57 Replies 57
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

Oh, @Laura2592 Laura! 

I can understand how you must feel!  For me, that is definitely not a good match and I would not be able to comfortably host this party. My house rules and limits have a good reason for being, as yours do, and if your place is anything like mine, it cannot reasonably be compared to any others. In fact, my license says I can only host a certain number of guests, which is quite appropriate. I feel for you!  🤗

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Laura2592 WOW. Maybe you should also go over and cook them dinner during their stay. Bring them a few bottles of wine (you'll need a few with the increased guest count). Maybe put on a small stage show after dinner, rounded out with some foot massages. You know, because you should be so grateful to host this posse of guests. When he makes it sound so tempting, how could you possibly refuse?

I'd say, "It definitely sounds like the other places you've been looking at would be a better fit for your group size and needs. Good luck with your search!"

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

My blood is boiling for you right now @Laura2592 

@Emilia42 yes I had to walk away and get a cup of coffee. I am waiting to respond as an inquiry like this does not warrant my usual almost immediate communication. I am planning to say something like @Alexandra316 suggested-- thanks but no thanks, look elsewhere.  Luckily the person can't IB as they have zero reviews and just joined. We have it set up for only those recommended by other hosts. 

@Laura2592 Don't you dare be overly nice! 😀

You better raise your price over the timeframe they are interested in . . . to make up for the stress this inquiry has caused all of us.  

Just reading this inquiry to you Laura, caused huge stress for me as well. Yikes! 

@Laura2592 @Emilia42 @Alexandra316 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592  Oh my.  Yeah, this would be one of those inquiries where I need to stop myself from giving the reply they deserve and just give the neutral.....it's unfortunate that our listing doesn't seem to fit your needs, but I'm sure you will find a place that is a great match, best of luck.

But, um, holy s***, not only is this person willing to run roughshod over your house rules, but want's a f>>>> explanation for why they exist in the first place??!!!  I pity the poor fools that end up renting to this freak.

@Mark116 RIGHT??!

Sometimes I want to say "Because I own this house and you don't. That's it. Don't like it? Buy your own."

@Laura2592   It's a cottage, not a clown car.

@Anonymous can I send that as a response with the appropriate images attached? Haha. So. Tempting. 

I love how they plan to bring "5 to 7" people. Is that in addition to the jerk who is asking? Inclusive of said jerk? 

@Laura2592  Of course you can! I know you will always be nothing less than professional in your actual correspondence, but you have my blessing to throw a little shade.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

That person doesn't deserve an explanation.  I'd just respond to the message with the word "No".   

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  Entitlement+Total lack of self-awareness+Zero respect . Seems to be becoming the new normal. 

I would have a really hard time responding professionally to such an Inquiry. Mine would be along the lines of "Surely you jest."

In light of this new normal, perhaps we need to reexamine what we consider a professional response. As guest inquiries become more outrageous, why shouldn't hosts'?

@Sarah977 @Laura2592 

I am always polite, which does increase my personal anxiety, however it does the job. My response would be that we are not a good match and hope they find a perfect situation for their needs. If It was a request or an IB rather than an inquiry, being uncomfortable would be enough of a reason to deny.  It would also be an understatement of my actual feelings of panic and anxiety!