"I am sensitive to color."

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

"I am sensitive to color."

We have blocked most future dates on our calendar as we are thinking about selling and trying to make a plan. We do have one string of dates available in March. Booking has been slower than usual. I got an inquiry last night for a few of the available dates that said:

"Hi my name is X. I am interested in your space for a few days in the spring (gave blocked dates.) I wonder if they are available. I am a color sensitive. Do you have any bright or harsh colors anywhere in your cabin? Would it be possible to remove them during my stay? Thank you and I look forward to your reply."

We have had inquiries from smell sensitive folks, noise sensitive, light sensitive, but never someone who is color sensitive. As an amateur artist I think of myself as quite color sensitive, but its by no means debilitating. Has anyone else heard of such a thing? 

18 Replies 18
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If dates aren't available the just say so . 

@Helen3 I did say so. I have just not heard of this particular sensitivity and wondered if others had. 

Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

Well, FWIW in the Southwest some people decorate with bright colors and I avoid those places and certainly would never book an ABB or a hotel with too much bright color.

My listing has 40 photographs so people can screen themselves out and not bother me if they do not like the occasional spots of bright color I use in my decor.

@Karla533 I have quite a few photos as well so I am not sure if the guest thought maybe they were not accurate? Surely I do need to update a few in the kitchen and living space so that is a valid question. 

Rule 34, hosting version:  If it exists, there is a sensitivity or phobia to it. No exceptions.

The question is what one can reasonably ask others to do to accommodate their sensitivities. Asking to remove items specifically by color doesn't sound reasonable to me, but neither does asking for dates that aren't available. I'd call those both red flags, but not to the guest - that would be triggering.

@Anonymous Rule 34, hosting version:  If it exists, there is a sensitivity or phobia to it. No exceptions.

I think you are correct. I just had not heard of this one. TBH the smell sensitivity issue is one that caught me by surprise years ago when I first discovered that there were a sizeable population of people who suffered with this. And I know people who say they can't wear certain fabrics comfortably, or be in places with electromagnetic waves, or look at pictures of objects with many small holes, or stay in spaces with lighting that is too bright or too cold, etc. So I am not trying to be cheeky with this question-- I am just looking to see if anyone else has heard of this. As a host you accommodate what you can, and this isn't one I think I could. But not sure. 

The dates not being available is the biggest issue. The dates not available AND a hyper specific ask is a definite no. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 Yes! I’m color sensitive. The color I’m triggered by is RED, most particularly when in the form of a flag. 

@Colleen253 LOL. There are so many of those triggers as a host....

@Laura2592 

Yes, I know this.  I am trustee for a man with autism challenges, and his need for controlling his environment is great. He has color issues too. Bright colors have significance for him and set off mental processes that are complicated and distressing for him. The spectrum is infinitely broad, with as many facets as there are individuals. Controlling his environment and stimuli are vital for providing as much comfort as he can get. He has a diagnosis of OCD as well, thus he has behavior patterns that are comforting to him. When these are interrupted he experiences serious distress. It is a difficult and complicated life, and controlling as much of it as possible is essential for him. As long as he can keep the control he needs he can function, in between the constant worry and analysis of every detail. Just getting through the day is very high maintenance.

Besides the blocked dates, this person is as @Anonymous said, not an easy fit.  This is a high maintenance person. It is good that she knows this is an issue for her, and needs to control environmental stimuli.   Her world is much more complicated than ours. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

helen@744 Some people aint right.My walls are yellow maybe they would like those removed . Tents are often the answer for 'color sensitives ' H

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  Regardless of whether it's a recognized condition, asking a host to change the decor is ridiculous. There are lots of monochrome grey/black/white listings out there. Not to mention that your photo gallery shows what the colors are. Guest appears not to have read or looked at your listing at all, just sent a message. 

I thought even Inquiries could not be made if inputting blocked dates?

@Sarah977  I think the guest was inputting the available dates on the calendar, but asking for different, unavailable dates in the message. I hate that.

When people with particularly monochrome listings ask for critiques, I tend to recommend adding some stimulating colors . I hadn't considered the specialty market for chromophobes. I wonder what would be more bothersome to this guest - a room with all the different gradations of color dispersed throughout, or a room so starkly monochrome that every incidental flash of color is impossible not to notice.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sarah977  I think the guest was inputting the available dates on the calendar, but asking for different, unavailable dates in the message. I hate that.

funny, I don't mind it, cos sometimes I have the calendar closed for "just in case" reasons and don't mind opening it up for a longer paying, i mean staying, guest. 

@Anonymous wrote:

When people with particularly monochrome listings ask for critiques, I tend to recommend adding some stimulating colors . I hadn't considered the specialty market for chromophobes. I wonder what would be more bothersome to this guest - a room with all the different gradations of color dispersed throughout, or a room so starkly monochrome that every incidental flash of color is impossible not to notice.

Monochrome is where it's at! We have a base grey and white for our listings, and then just add a pop of colour with some art and soft furnishings. 

This one is kind of hilarious, that someone would ask for changes to be made just for them, because if it's just some throw pillows they could deal with that themselves (surely??) but are they suggesting the host repaints or refurnishes? LOL! 

oh what a cute place @Laura2592  your styling is a little different to mine but I would stay there! 

. (duplicate)