"I didn't think that was serious. "

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

"I didn't think that was serious. "

Booking has been slower than usual so it's particularly irritating to get requests for things we don't permit. Case in point yesterday....couple, 2 infants and a pet sent a request. We don't allow infants due to safety issues (clearly stated in our rules) and its over our capacity. I explained politely. The guest responds with  "Thanks.  I didn't think you were serious.  Most of the time we book places that don't allow infants or pets. Too bad."

So one does wonder 1. What's the point of rules if ABB permits guests to book when they don't meet stated requirements? And 2) are other hosts not vetting guests at all?

36 Replies 36
Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

Oh I cant being to count how many times I have been contacted by guests with the following:

'Hi there, your cottage looks great. I note that you say no pets, but could we please bring a small, well behaved cockapoo?'

Answer is always NO and I tell them that the last 'small well-behaved dog' I allowed caused £500 worth of damage. That tends to quieten them down.

Oh I should add that that small well behaved dog I refer to was an 'emotional support animal' so I was forced by Airbnb to take it. It urinated all over the house when it was left for hours alone by the emotionally challenged guest.

Helen @744. I think that emotional support animals by their very nature should go out with the hosts. a breeder once wanted to know if I was 'home " most of the time because the dog we were getting needed to be with people. Emotional support animals need to be taken out to do their business like any animal . I would have had something to say about this as this animal obviously needed its own emotional support person.Animals are not like cushions or toys to be dragged around by 'child adults". If I ever get one then I will be asking the questions before hand as I cannot abide this type of cruelty and disrespect to both you and the animal.H

Oh Helen... I asked all the questions, I was promised the earth, then they just did what they wanted and left the poor dog in the house alone. They got the worst review i have ever written and a private message telling them I thought they were disgraceful owners. They came from the USA to stay at my cottage in the UK so they had flown the poor dog out too. Sorry, but that is entirely disrespectful to the poor traumatised animal. They bought a toddler too and proceeded to blame the toddler for the mess that was clearly dog urine (unless their toddler cocked his leg up against the wall). This actually played in to my hands because in the past any damage caused by an animal was not covered by Airbnb host cover. Still....I will forever argue ESA's are a total joke and the policy is massively open to abuse.

@Alexandra199 wrote:

They got the worst review i have ever written and a private message telling them I thought they were disgraceful owners.  

Did they leave you a review? I'm curious to know what they people say in a review after they break the rules. 

what's funny is that I never think a small dog is going to be less of a problem than a large dog. I'd prefer a larger dog every day of the week. But any dog can scratch, chew, dig or bark (although some breeds are more prone to it than others and IMHO it's always the small dogs who are chewy and noisy). 

Of course, 80% of all behavioural issues come at the human end of the lead.....   and the comments that are made  by @Helen744  "Animals are not like cushions or toys to be dragged around by 'child adults" is bang on correct. If people need an animal for emotional support, how on earth are they stable enough to be able to train that animal to behave properly?  

Hi @Mark116 and all,

Thank you for raising these concerns with me.

I've relayed all of your feedback to the relevant teams so we can take it into consideration going forward. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and suggestions with me here, so please continue doing so.

Warmly,

Catherine

@Laura2592 @Helen744 @Alexandra199 @Anonymous @Ann72 @Michelle53 @Sarah977 @Inna22 @Kelly149 @Elaine701