security deposit

Paul7218
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

security deposit

Hi. I'm brand new to hosting. I have my first confirmed booking. When setting up the listing, I couldn't find how to add in a security deposit into the pricing.  Does this feature exist for UK hosts? There was an article in the help centre, but I think this may only be for US hosts, not UK hosts (i.e. I can't find a 'Standard fees and charges' option in the pricing section).  How can I set up a security deposit? Or is this handled a different way in the UK? Thanks. Paul

3 Replies 3
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Paul7218 

Go to Listing

Choose Policies and rules

Scroll down to Security depost and click edit

Add an amount. 

Please be aware though that the name Security deposit is very misleading. Airbnb does not collect this amount from the guest prior to their stay: it's just an amount that they could potentially be charged if there is damage. You have no say over whether you get the money in the event of a problem. Please do make sure that you fully read and understand the Host Guarantee before you are put in the situation in having to make a claim against it, because there are very specific rules on how and when you can file a claim and if they're not followed you will definitely not get anything. For example, you must initiate a claim before another guest checks in.

You may not get anything if you follow the rules to the letter either, but you will at least increase your chances of getting a payout.

Make sure you have your own seperate insurance coverage: don't rely soley on the Airbnb insurance, because it's notoriously unreliable. 

Paul7218
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316 Thanks for the advice. I've found it and set it up now.  I wasn't aware this is how the security deposit works. That's very useful to know. Cheers. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Paul7218 

Airbnb App> Listing > Booking setting > Pricing > Extra Charge > Add amount Security deposit per trip > Save 

79E53950-5D2D-4081-B641-8009457BE203.jpeg

037BF31D-4A99-4E4E-A1C6-03B18E4E911D.jpeg

Welcome to the community! 👏

Ways to go!
Happy Hosting