suspended 30 days

Jamie776
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

suspended 30 days

Hi we have just been told our (usually 5 star) account has been suspended for 30 days due to a guest giving us 3 stars because they found a spider in our super clean, lovely bush/beach Australian property. We have gone through so many back and forths with Airbnb, can't believe this superficial review could result in a suspension!

But my main question is, does our account actually become 'live' again in 29 days? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of Airbnb. As i said, we have had a great experience for 5 years and an average of 5 stars 4.7 rating. We just can't understand this.  

Any advice would be gratefully received 

Thanks 

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jamie776 if that's the whole story, it is indeed incredible, even for @Airbnb . This forum has many posts of hosts who have been suspended or delisted for ridiculous or undisclosed causes, though. It seems that often the listings are reactivated after a waiting period but the process is completely non-transparent and there doesn't seem to be any way to know for sure. In your shoes I might try appealing to Airbnb on Twitter and/or Facebook.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Jamie776  Super frustrating!   This is not to dis you or blame you for the Kafka-esque suspension Jamie, but maybe it's Airbnb's way of suggesting you spend some time on giving the listing a good going-over.  You have quite a few reviews that are along these lines:  "...as others have pointed out, the place could use some TLC to sweep the deck, clear away the spiderwebs, clean the sills and deal with carpet stains. The photos give a fresher aesthetic than the reality. I wouldn’t personally stay again without a bit more care put into the place."

As hosts and business owners we all have to try to swallow harsh news from time to time, but if we can make a silk purse of a sow's ear we show we can go from strength to strength.  You're a caring host with an amazing property so I say if you can get away go out there for a few days for some R&R and some autumn cleaning.  Sounds like an incredible setting!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with the other hosts who have expressed agreement that the non-transparency of the AIR BNB suspensions is very frustrating AND that perhaps now is the time to review your listing and the feedback you have gotten to a bit of a spruce up.  The saying, "If it ain't broke, why fix it" may no longer apply. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Airbnb is really out of control. Suspended for a spider? In a beach shack? That's insane. And so is the guest who reported it.

@Jamie776 A suggestion for an addition to your listing- a mosquito net. Some reviews mention having to keep the doors and windows closed due to the mossies, which made it hot. Not only will a mosquito net solve that, it can make bug-phobe guests feel more relaxed, that a spider, or whatever, won't run over them at night.