weird inquires

weird inquires

I received a lot of questions wanting to  negotiate price for 1-2 to months booking. does anyone have this problem?

17 Replies 17
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Nhan16 

My policy is no discounts at all, no matter how short or long the stay. I gently and respectfully tell the guest. So far they have all booked with me at full price. Some people just like to negotiate price on everything, so I don't take it personally.

I Love your listing, came across to it by accident. Breathtaking views! You are very blessed.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I haven't had any hagglers recently, but then I haven't had many enquiries recently due to the you-know-what. My prices are already so low, and there's a discount in place for 7 days plus, such that I don't really offer a further discount. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Nhan16 

These are long term renters looking for long term rental prices for five star accommodation, don't go there.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I recommend that you do not negotiate with these people.  You shouldn't have to supplement their trip to allow them to stay somewhere that is above their means.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Mark-and-Nyomie0
Level 6
Thrumster, Australia

Yes we have - wanting to pay a cheap weekly rate for 3 months. I think it’s a scam. We declined, not so politely. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

We had an enquiry from a polite guest wanting a two week stay for two people to stay in an eight person accommodation. They would have liked to pay £1000 discounted rate rather than the listed price of £4000.

Scammers or chancers? I’ll never know.

Yes, I received one request too. 2 guests asked me to lower the price on a room and leave my place. Basically they wanted entire place for less than actual room rental price would be and I cannot be during this time at my place. Which is quit impossible, I have nowhere else to go.

@Elisabeth40  That's just incredible- that anyone would ask you to move out of your home so they could have it to themselves. That's beyond entitled and demanding- that would qualify in my book as insane.

@Elisabeth40  unbelieavable, don't let them in. In my country if they get into your place they won't be kicked out before years expecially if they have babies!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes, I am also getting frequent requests for discounts. I host long-term guests anyway and it is not unusual for people to ask (they don't seem to notice I already have weekly and monthly discounts), but the difference now is that EVERY guest enquiring is asking for a discount. Okay, there was one exception, who went quiet after I asked her if she was following social distancing regulations, but I wouldn't have been surprised if she had then asked for a discount if the conversation had gone further.

I have decided to say firmly, but politely, no. The rooms are already cheaper than in normal circumstances, I already offer long term discounts and so they are great value. The first person I said no to booked, so I am sticking with that going forward.

Hi,

over the last couple of days ive had 2 enquiries that dont look right. the first one was asking me to confirm the address, as she was a 'new driver' and wanted to see if she could get here. The second was asking if our accommodation was still available as 'i want to stay for long time' . 

I was wondering if anyone else was getting this and should i pre approve or decline?

dont want to be jumpy but the map shows exactly where our place is, though not the full address its only a small village and the calendar shows availabilty.

what would you do?

cheers

@Jo719 Confirmed guests receive the address, inquiring guests do not, and don’t need it. Redirect the inquirer to the map view and move on. Tell the other Inquirer that your calendar is up to date and to go ahead and send a request to book for their chosen dates. You don’t need to do anything with Inquiries except answer the question. And how you answer is completely up to you. You do not ever have to give the guest the exact information they are seeking. 

@Jo719  Never decline an inquiry, as declining lowers your acceptance rate- as all that is required is a message back. Save the declines for booking requests if you need to use them.

For the first request, it could be sketchy (why wouldn't she be able to drive there? It makes little sense), so just let her know that exact addresses aren't given until a booking is paid for and confirmed for security reasons.

The second inquiry is too clueless. I'd just reply that you rent short term, not "for a long time". I don't know if you normally accept long term rentals, but it's really not a great idea to do through Airbnb. In most jurisdictions, guests become tenants after 30 days and then fall under landlord/tenant laws. And Airbnb only guarantees the first month's paynent, so of a guest reneges on payments, you can end up with a squatter you'll be faced with trying to evict.