weird inquires

weird inquires

I received a lot of questions wanting to  negotiate price for 1-2 to months booking. does anyone have this problem?

17 Replies 17

Thanks for your help, I was worried I was being too suspicious. 

@Jo719  Hosts' intuition generally turns out to be right. 

There's been a couple of times when I was a bit wary, but further communication with the guests put my mind at ease and they turned out to be fine guests.

One was a request asking if her friend could stay, too- she could bring an air mattress. I only host one guest at a time in the private room I list, and guests who ask to bend your rules are usually red flags, so I just replied that no, the room is only suitable for 1 and that she should probably look for a place that can accomodate two. She messaged back right away and said, no, no, she still wanted to book for herself, her friend would just have to look for another place. She turned out to be a really cool person and once she got here, she said she totally saw why 2 people couldn't comfortably share that room.

The other I was wary about because although his profile was set up 3 years previous, he had no reviews, it said he was a student, and his profile said he liked a mix of partying and quiet times. No one can throw a party at my home, as I live here, so that isn't a concern, but I also don't want guests who stumble home drunk at 3 am.

But his messages were polite and articulate, he was a really nice, quiet guy, and he left his room jaw-droppingly immaculate. Turned out he hadn't updated his profile since he opened his account, had never had a chance to travel (hence the no reviews) and was no longer a student- he managed 10 pizza outlets.

Nash-Cottages-LLC0
Level 10
Nashville, TN

@Nhan16 Yep, we've had inquiries. Then, the next question is usually 'can you email me or call me so we can talk about this?' Our response is a polite 'no, we prefer to keep our communication with potential guests here in the messaging app. Do you have any specific questions we can answer?' We've never had one person respond back to that. So, they either found a place more suited to them or got the message that we're not negotiating offline.