what star category do these "offences" belong to?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

what star category do these "offences" belong to?

I am about to leave a review for a guest who 

1. gave me a lot of hard time about my ID requirement. After much push back, he sent everyone's IDs with all information but the name marked out making it a guest list rather than ID on file. After much more back and forth, he did comply. His communication was polite and consistent throughout. Is this lower stars in communication, house rules, both or neither (he did come through after all)

2. moved a heavy couch to a completely different area. It needed to be lifted in the air to get it through a long narrow hallway. We tried ourselves, there was not a chance my housekeeper and I could do it. My house rules and check out message ask to put all furniture back. Luckily he was still in the area and came back to get it done. If I had a same day check in and he was not still around, I would have been in a very tough position. Is this cleanliness, house rules, both or I should let it go

The house was clean overall, no other complaints

57 Replies 57
Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

If everything else went well, I would not subtract stars. Instead I would send a private comment to the guest about the furniture moving, which is a big pet peeve of mine when guests do this and don't put it back where it was.

Are you able to turn on "require ID verification" with AirBnB? Or is that not sufficient for your purposes?

@Karla533 I want to see IDs from everyone in the group so that wont work for me

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Inna22 Hmmm, overall, the hassle the guest caused you was enough that I would say it warrants 4 for house rules, especially given you communicate expectations well beforehand, so his disregard for some of it was blatant. Maybe make specific mention of the furniture issue, as it may be relevant info for some hosts but not others. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22  I'd give a 4 for house rules, if you thought the communication was rude, you can give a 4 or lower there.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  If your house rules state for guests not to move furniture, then mark down for house rules. If that isn't mentioned, he didn't ignore any house rule, he was simply disrespectful in not putting it back before he left. 

And if your listing states that guests must provide names and ID of everyone and he insisted on booking but making a hassle of it, I think that could fall under communication. There's more to good communication than just being polite. "Could you please waive your no pets rule, as I always travel with my dog. Thanks in advance" is polite, but poor communication because it's entitled and they are asking you to make an exception for them.

Seems like there should be an "Overall" category for guest ratings, just like for hosts, to cover whatever doesn't really seem to fit in the other categories.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 I'm grouchier than everyone else here... 3 or less rules, clean & communication.

Jerky guy

@Kelly149  I'll have to remember to be on my very very best behavior if I ever book with you. And I'll run any messages I send past a couple of grouchy friends to make sure nothing  could be misinterpreted. 🙂

@Sara977, the thing is, the ratings just matter so very very little. Conscientious people care and no one else does. How many hosts have gotten a 4* without any discernable reason than, "well, I don't do 5s"? It's that whole "how accommodating was your host?" bit. The whole platform is designed to care more that the guest doesn't want to give @Inna22 the info she so clearly said they should. And what jerk carries a sofa down a hall?? Ridiculous. It doesn't matter one way or the other bc some silly, we take everyone hotel on ABB will still take this guy's money. And we don't even know what ABB considers a "bad" guest review. Remember how a CS (who didn't sound crazy) told me that the whole recommended by other hosts stayed intact as long as the guest didn't have CONSISTENT all 1* reviews. So it just doesn't matter.

@Kelly149  Well, as a host who has never used IB, I've never seen guests' star ratings anyway, so they matter not one whit to me. 

And judging by all the posts I've read from hosts who had horrible guests who had 5* reviews, and those by hosts who say they always leave  5* reviews for guests or don't review, it's not like something you can rely on.

Even if all hosts tried to be conscientious and rate and review honestly and consistently, what one host might consider a 5* guest could be what another would consider a 3*.

I consider star ratings to be useless. And I'm sure most guests don't deliberate much before clicking on a star rating. In fact, while hosts sometimes ask for input on this on forums, I can' t recall ever seeing a post from a guest who is asking for feedback over how many stars they should leave, unless the guest is also a host.

They absolutely matter. You get suspended for a week or an interval of time for this sequence:

5 stars, 5 stars, 5 stars, 1 star, = below 4.3? there's strictly an algorithmic suspension - not even a human involved.

YES. They matter. There's nothing printed about total number of times and when it all just ends. every TWO times we get a ONE star review . . . bam.

And @Sarah977  you can come anytime. We’ll have a ball. No grouchiness whatsoever 

@Kelly149  Aw, thanks.

@Kelly149 @Sarah977 

Star ratings are useless. But I have been saved, twice, by a previous host's written review which I am very thankful about. Now if only all hosts could write truthful reviews without all the tiptoeing and false beliefs of revenge. 

Emilia, i have experienced the absolute opposite! I always check the guests star rating because the brief reviews left by hosts who don't want revenge after the stay, are often made clearer by the star review. I do believe that there is the possibility of revenge, you only have to find the hosts listing on google or Facebook and there you go for a bad retaliation review. I wouldn't think twice about leaving a bad review for a guest who had really broken the rules but there are those guests who were just plain annoying for lots of petty reasons and that is where the stars are really helpful.