what star category do these "offences" belong to?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

what star category do these "offences" belong to?

I am about to leave a review for a guest who 

1. gave me a lot of hard time about my ID requirement. After much push back, he sent everyone's IDs with all information but the name marked out making it a guest list rather than ID on file. After much more back and forth, he did comply. His communication was polite and consistent throughout. Is this lower stars in communication, house rules, both or neither (he did come through after all)

2. moved a heavy couch to a completely different area. It needed to be lifted in the air to get it through a long narrow hallway. We tried ourselves, there was not a chance my housekeeper and I could do it. My house rules and check out message ask to put all furniture back. Luckily he was still in the area and came back to get it done. If I had a same day check in and he was not still around, I would have been in a very tough position. Is this cleanliness, house rules, both or I should let it go

The house was clean overall, no other complaints

57 Replies 57

@Christine3190 I do use instant book and they provide ID after. The guest is asked to do it after they have a valid reservation. This rule is clearly spelled out in multiple places so all they/you have to do is find another host if this is not acceptable. It would be far fetched that a host with hundreds of reviews who rents a place going for hundreds of dollars a night is actually doing it to steal an ID. I would feel safer handing my ID to a reputable host than a rando at a hotel front desk 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

I suppose in a way the reason i don't have grave concerns is that we have external cameras. Every guest arrives by car, so i get their license plate on camera. If something bad happens and police are involved, I am sure that will be sufficient ID.

I have checked "require ID" so every guest, regardless of IB or not, has to have provided ID to ABB. I've had one guest query this as they previously had been registered and travelled without proving themselves. I think were I to also require a copy of their ID I can imagine they would feel put out. 

The idea that only "poor people" and not some reputable host is a thief is also amusing. Actually rich people are far more likely to commit fraud, they used to call it 'white collar crime' but i suppose now we'll need a new term for it. 

@Gillian166do you watch the camera 24/7? Unless you do, you are only seeing what is happening in real time when you watch it 

As for a crime, of course every income level commits crime. In the US tax laws are so complicated, I am sure most have commuted tax fraud. I am not saying a host with an expensive listing is automatically honest. It would be however not a cost effective way of committing identity theft. You set up an expensive Airbnb, invest all the money in the property, actually host the guests so you can get a handful of IDs? Your are either caught after the first round because  all those guest would immediately know where all of them showed IDs or you do it one ID at a time. The host is either in jail shortly after first stay  or is being highly inefficient at committing crimes. Statistically, any person coming to Chicago has a higher likelihood of having their ID stolen somewhere out and about than by their Airbnb host. The key to protecting you against identity theft with certainly seems to be staying home.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Inna22 wrote:

@Gillian166do you watch the camera 24/7? Unless you do, you are only seeing what is happening in real time when you watch it 

Actually I was merely talking about the fact that I can record people's licence plate numbers, in lieu of demanding they send me a copy of their ID. So there's no need to respond to rest of your comment as it's not really the point I was making. 

@Gillian166So you have someone’s rental plate. How is that helpful?

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

you keep  misunderstanding me, I shall assume it's innocent. My guests are not renting cars (99% at least). And even so, to explain again, were you to involve police in your hypothetical situation, the rental company would have guest IDs. 

Look, the only reason I responded here was to give you some insight into why a guest might not want to give you their ID, and you refuse to accept that some people just value their privacy.  

@Gillian166i am not sure you realize how you sound. I am a straight talker myself. You come off as very rude. This would have been an interesting discussion but I will withdraw. Take care

@Gillian166 , dont you think scanning and recording plate numbers is an invasion of privacy. ? I would ratherbe straight forward and tell people that it is to keep everyone safe including me. H

@Helen744  Why are you misrepresenting what I wrote? This keeps happening in this thread.  No I don’t scan their license plates and record the details.  You see this as an invasion of privacy? 

You seem to be missing a point. Airbnb does not verify each guest's ID. How can they when the guest who makes the reservation doesn't provide it or provides it at the last minute?

I suppose you might be able to understand better when you consider that you are letting perfect strangers into your home. I, for one, would like to know who is staying. 

Airbnb Support does not ID every guest occupying the property and until they can guarantee the guest won't bring others into the property or switch guests around, there is no way to know who is actually using your homes.  We take enough risks at hosts without adequate support from Airbnb.

@  Helen744   

@ Christine

Sometimes it is excruciating especially with people who have not really used Airbnb . They assume hosts are some sort of adjunct of Airbnb and not just a booking agency, because Christine be aware that is all they are . If you open the door to anyone who wants to book without providing you with ID then be aware it is not just to protect their civil liberties. All types of people scan Airbnb listings and avoid  giving any details of who they are  so that if anything occurs they are long gone and Airbnb will just say . We cannot contact them . So dont help them to work against you . sometimes you have to be smart and tough . H

@ Helen744@ Christine 3190 I will tell you what is not common and practically unheard of . that is AIRBNB hosts stealing guests identitys for any purpose . Trust is involved here and if that exchange of trust and good faith cannot take place in this scenario then  too bad but those of us serious about the safety of ourselves and our guests put it in our rules . That is not your choice it is ours .