A Beginner's Guide to the Art of Lighting: Enhancing Your Space with Warm and Welcoming Illumination

Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

A Beginner's Guide to the Art of Lighting: Enhancing Your Space with Warm and Welcoming Illumination

Proper lighting is a key factor in the aesthetics of a place, literally making it shine among other properties. Lighting isn't just for making dark places livable; it makes a place feel homely. It directs our attention, gives us a sense of direction, promotes architectural aesthetics, and encourages symmetry.
Using lighting better will not only help you present the space better in pictures, potentially leading to more reservations, but also make your space welcoming, comfortable, and homely.

In this guide, we will focus on four primary lighting sources that any host can utilize in their property:

Ceiling Lights: Ceiling lights were never and will never be ideal for creating a homely atmosphere; they are better suited to commercial spaces, offices, and basements. Instead, use drop-down fixtures that complement the furniture. They shouldn't be sculptures or draw too much attention, unless the ceiling is very high. They should blend with the space rather than obstruct it.

Avoid ceiling fans with built-in light fixtures, as they reduce the aesthetic value of the lighting. In my opinion, they always appear cheap.

Wall Fixtures: The main purpose of wall light fixtures is to create light and shadows on the wall. They should not be directed at other objects or the space itself. They can be directed downwards towards the wall and the floor, or upwards towards the wall and the ceiling. Some wall fixtures are designed to reflect light from the ceiling, providing a better way to light up the room without using ceiling lamps at all. Some wall fixtures can light up and down, combining beauty with effectiveness.

If the wall behind is plain and white and you don't know what to do with it, one big extravagant light fixture in shape and color will do; otherwise, a light fixture that blends with the wall color is even better. This gives the impression that you have paid attention to every detail.

Corner Lamps: These can be placed in the corners of a room or next to furniture. If you already have a socket in a corner of a room, use it for a floor lamp. These lights create a focal point in the space, emphasizing the corner and making the room look bigger. The light should be soft and can project downwards to a nearby table. It should not be aimed at the ceiling. Avoid using strong bulbs with floor lamps to light up the ceiling, as the light will be too intense and uncomfortable.

Table Lamps: The purpose of table lamps is to highlight your furniture and the area around it. If you have bedside tables, don't forget two light fixtures, one for each side. When lit, they will highlight the symmetry of the bed and the space. If you have a desk in your space, a table lamp will provide additional light at night and highlight the desk.

For basements and spaces with low ceilings, ceiling lights make sense to save space and prevent guests from stumbling. However, for high ceilings, use ceiling fixtures with long cords. This will draw attention to your high ceiling space. Hang them so that the bottom of the lamp is reachable with a small ladder, making it easier to change bulbs.

Avoid installing light fixtures on high ceilings, as it will be too difficult to change the light bulb each time. With high ceilings, it is much more efficient to use up-and-down wall fixtures to light up the space.

If you still use old light fixtures with fluorescent or incandescent bulbs, consider upgrading to LED bulbs that are modern, efficient, and produce good light with low energy and have a long lifespan.

Unless you sell diamonds or watches or anything under a glass counter, avoid using cool bright white lamps. They produce a cold, unnatural light. Instead, consider using warm light. Some warmer lights are brighter, closer to white, while others are deep yellowish. Warm colors evoke warmth, comfort, and safety, creating a cozy atmosphere. It's better to use ten low-wattage warm lights to illuminate a space than one strong white bulb.

Lighting has a deep psychological effect equal to its essential function of providing light to a space. Use it wisely to improve your space. And please don't forget to turn on all your light fixtures before taking pictures.

8 Replies 8
Karen1100
Level 3
Nelson, Canada

Great article, lighting is most important.
I agree the warm light can completely change the room's ambiance. Thanks for sharing.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Karen1100, thank you for sharing your thoughts with @Guy991. I am tagging him here, so that he receives a notification of your lovely message 😊

To tag someone, simply use the "@" symbol and select their username from the dropdown menu.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Wow. Scintillating stuff, but my lightings is just fine-thanks. Didn't have to read an article either, just kinda figured it out on my own. Go figure. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Kia272, thank you for sharing your perspective 😊. It's always enriching to hear from our Hosts and learn from their experiences.

@Karen1100 mentioned the positive impact of warm lighting on the ambiance. What type of lighting do you prefer? How did you determine that it is the best choice for your accommodation?

We would love to hear more about your experience.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

My experience, @Paula  is that everyone has their own style. For one, I don't come on the CC and tell people how to decorate or do things that anyone with a brain can do on their own. If someone ASKS for advice, then offer it. 

I haven't seen anyone in the CC asking for a treatise on lighting. 

I've seen this person (the OP) give out some VERY bad advice prior to this, and it concerns me. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Kia272, thanks for sharing your comment.

The primary function of our Community Center is for Hosts to come together and share their ideas and hosting practices. While it's possible that we may not always agree with each other's ideas, it's important to be respectful and encouraging, even when our opinions differ. Let's continue fostering a supportive and encouraging community where all perspectives are valued.

Thank you

-----

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Guy991 

Thanks for the great insights! I looked at one of your listings and you are right the hanging lights do look very nice in, especially in such a lovely building! 

I had to just wing it and was a learning process for me, although I'll share my experience. 

I totally gutted a guest apartment. I knew I needed to plan the lighting. I considered a lot of options and there were some hanging fixtures on sale but they were too busy.

The space is very compact in every room so there wasn't room for floor lamps or end tables. I also wanted ceiling fans because it's very hot here, and put in huge barn door to help circulate air. 

Anyway I googled how to space the overhead can lights and followed that but I really didn't like it and changed it from 4 rows of lights to 3 rows, and no middle light where the ceiling fan was. So went from 12 lights to 7. To me this worked much better with fewer overhead lights, also having a dimmer switch and warm daylight LED bulbs that can dim all the way down. 

Although this was really just out of necessity, it really works great for this space. I also added wall lights, kind of old school, mounted on the wall with no chords in living room and bed room. So it really works well if guest want to read in bed, on the couch, or want to dim the overhead lights down even more. 

To me it just works well because you don't notice the lights and everything is evenly lit, and all have dimmers switches that are easy to find in living room, bed room and bathroom. They all also have other lighting. 

Some advantages is they can just turn on all the lights right when they walk in the door, or a room, can adjust with dimmer, no chords, no chance of fire with lamp falling on the bed or furniture. 

But my experience was that the reccomened grid of overhead lights was way too much and it totally changed when I removed about half of them. 

Even in bed they have a wall switch instead of having to hunt for a light, although they usually turn on the wall switch and use the switches on the wall lamps for their personal preference. 

There is also night light over some steps, by living room door, thats built into the wall, although other guest have also left more night lights and that I just left and they can turn those on or off or move them which they often do. 

* cords 

Sorry wasn't able to edit.. and hit my head on a big limb while riding my bike.. 

Funny when I was at Lowes looking at under cabinet kitchen lights for this project, I happened to run into, Bill, one of the stars on Moonshiners. 🤣

I was trying to figure out how to hardwire them as most of them have a plug. I asked him, "Bill" (Josh's friend) as he was there,  and he said that I could just cut the plug off and wire it directly, but I installed an outlet inside the cabinet to plug in the under cabinet lights. 🤣

I'm on the coast, not moonshining territory, but I saw Bill on the next season and he had a "Folly Beach" hat that is only available at the grocery store on the way out there, so he was in town doing a renovation project. I recognized his voice right away, some people just have a very distinct voice. 

I also had to hide the remote for the under cabinet lights as guest would change it to flashing disco mode or something 🤣 although its suprising how inexpenisve under cabinet sting lights are that work well and can adjust to match lighting.