$389+ August Smart Lock *DOES NOT WORK*

David632
Level 5
Plainfield, IL

$389+ August Smart Lock *DOES NOT WORK*

Will anyone from Airbnb discuss this issue? I would like to know if this is an Airbnb issue or an August Smart Lock issue...

I synced my Airbnb + August accounts on 10/11/2016. It has not worked once.

I've had an open support issue with August Smart Locks since 10/16/16. I've provided numerous reservations for them to research and I'm not getting any answers. Many times they take DAYS to reply. In fact, it's been 13 days since my last response from them. 

There is no interface for tracking which guests received notification on how to access the property or which guests downloaded the app or if the guest has equipment capable of running the application. I'm left messaging guests on Airbnb messenger to find out if they received any instructions on how to access the property...over and over and over. 

This lock was supposed to make my life easier! Instead, it's only caused a multitude of additional headaches.

BUT! It has the potential to be the coolest thing EVER! Is the issue stemming from Airbnb or is the issue with August Smart Locks?

How can we get some answers?

Thank you,

David

25 Replies 25

Hi Eric, your contact info is scrubbed from the page so I can't contact you directly.

Matthew's suggestion really needs to be implemented.

When I'm coordinating a check-in process with any guest, I never know whether a guest has received the email from Airbnb directing them to download the August app (in some cases, I suspect not). So I never know whether they've received the email, whether they've downloaded the app or created an August Home account, and so I don't know what to remind or direct them to do.

Most of the time the integration looks to have worked and I notice an upcoming Airbnb guest has been given access on the August app profile page without my having to do anything manually. Other times not; I'll have to manually invite the guest using their phone number.

Not having any ability to view the guest's activation status on the August app makes the pre-check-in and check-in process so much more complicated for me.

@Eric471, I know this was a while ago, but since you did not tag me, I was not notified about the message.

The admins have redacted your direct contact information, and I'm not entirely sure how to send you a direct message (I'll try later).

Can you try to contact me either by posting here (and tagging me) or direct message me (where I think we can exchange contact information).

Hi, @Matthew285 & @Maryam25 - 

Here is the gist of the update from August:

1. It's mid-February and we have begun work to eliminate the need for Airbnb Guests

to install the August mobile app for access to Airbnb listings

2. The plan is to allow Airbnb Hosts to use the August keypad to grant access to guests 

3. This will be automated. No extra steps required by Hosts except to pair the

keypad w/ listing in the beginning.

4. The feature is coming soon - best estimate from me is 4-6 weeks at this point.

We appreciate your patience and when the feature is ready, we will likely get the word out via channels like this and others related to Airbnb hosting.

[ Note: I'm happy to discuss this with you directly in more detail via phone or email. I see that I can message Maryam directly (and will do so), but that's because her name is less common and I see her profile icon in the initial list of potential recipients. For Matthew, there are many w/ that name. ]

@Eric471, when I hover the mouse over most people's photos, I see a popup that has two buttons: "Send Message" (in red), and "View Profile" (in white).

For your photo, I just see "View Profile".

Do you see a "Send Message" button in my popup? That would be an easy way to send me a Private Message where we could exchange contact info.

I am looking at all the setting for my profile in this Community board, and can't see how to turn on or off anything related to "Send Message". I know the admins have sent Private Messages to me before. 

Yes, for you, I just see [View Profile] as well and don't see the option to enable anything along those lines in the Community Settings. I sent you a note through your listing.

David1593
Level 1
Fort Mill, SC

I have been using the August lock for a few months now and still cannot get AirBnB and August to link together to work.  I talk to every guest before their stay and not one person has received an email about the August lock and instructions on how to use it.  There is no clear instructions or way to tell if it is setup correctly on AirBnb or August.  There is no online account with August and you can only use the mobile app, so no way of knowing what it sends out or if it will send out anything at all.  Trying to explain to users how to download an august app, create account and then send them an invite is a bit overwhelming for some of our guests.

I gave up trying to sync everyhthing and just bought the august keypad.  It has worked very well so far.  I have the August lock, keypad and connect installed.  I am able to connect when I am at home and manually create a temporary passcode for users for their time with us.  I set the code to the last 4 of the guests mobile number.  It is an extra step to create the user on the app, but it works well.

I had high hopes for this lock to make it easy for my guests and I, but seems like its not ready for prime time.  Anyone who is buying the August lock in hopes it will just automatically just send out email when a guest books, I would suggest waiting until August and AirBnb can fix the problem.

Hi, David,

This is Eric at August. We will do our best to address these issues so the Host/Guest experiences are more intuitive on both ends.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have additional suggestions.

Best,
Eric [Personal information hidden]

Eric471
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Airbnb Hosts,

Please note that we are available to help troubleshoot any August lock access issues you may face. If you could contact me at [Personal information hidden] with your Airbnb email address, we will work with you & investigate further.

In general, hosts are bcc'd on emails to guests that explain access via an August lock. Once the guest installs the August app and creates an account, the guest would be listed in your Guest List section of the August app.

Best,

Eric ****

Thanks Eric. Just installed an August lock set, and the automatic August email invites to our guests are going out. However, there are a lot of people who flatly refuse to download an app. It would be SO much easier if a keypad PIN could be generated automatically for each guest when they book. Even better if they could use the last four digits of the guest's phone number by default.

I'll reiterate the requests above for a better interface showing the status of each invitiation that has been sent out. A way to modify or append a message to the invitations sent out by August would also be greatly appreciated.

Eric471
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi, Airbnb Hosts,

Just a heads up … August has updated its Smart Lock app with a new Airbnb feature that integrates the August keypad and auto-generated entry codes for guests, so feel free to check it out when can.

You can contact me here or directly if you would like more information. There is also an FAQ about this on the August Support site.

Eric
Kyler39
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I have invested in the Yale lock for all of my Airbnb Properties and it's NOT WORKING! Yale support has been absolutely no help. They won't return the locks either. Advice to all short-term rental hosts - DON'T BUY YALE OR AUGUST HOME LOCKS - THEY DON'T WORK!!!