Airbnb screwed me on a cancellation - Beware of this

Francisco190
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Airbnb screwed me on a cancellation - Beware of this

I have a strict cancellation policy on all my listings. This week a guest booked my place and then asked to cancel. She called Airbnb and the case manager informed her about my strict cancellation policy. So far, so good. 

Then the case manager informed the guest that she could get a larger refund than what's stated in the cancellation policy if I agreed to do so, so the guest should discuss this with me. This is where things went out of control. The case manager generated expectations of a higher refund on the guest's mind. When I informed the guest that I would stick to my strict cancellation policy, she got very angry, called me and insulted me (also through whatsapp messages that I sent to the case manager), and then said that she wouldn't cancel. As you could imagine I wasn't comfortable about hosting this angry aggressive person, but I didn't want to lose money either because I had done nothing wrong.

Airbnb should NEVER inform the GUEST that it is up to the host to give the guest a larger refund than what is stated in the cancellation policy. They shouls just stick to what says on the cancellation policy! Otherwise they pass on the problem to the host and create tension between the guest and the host, like it happened on my case. Instead, Airbnb could tell the HOST that if he or she is willing to provide a refund larger than what is agreed on the cancellation policy, he or she can do so.

I was expecting Airbnb to take some responsibility in this case, as I didn't do anything wrong, while Airbnb did (and the guest for that matter, by insulting me). Unexpectedly, the case manager decided to cancel the reservation within 7 days of arrival, without consent from my side, and no penalty to the guest. In brief, because of a mistake from the case manager, I lost all the money of this booking!

I am extremely annoyed at how the case manager handled this case, and I am seriously considering to withdraw my properties from Airbnb - apparently the case manager didn't care about this either...

20 Replies 20
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb's strict cancelation policy is inherently going to anger some guests. I don't know why guests would even agree to such being charged in full if they have to cancel months or even weeks out. I think that even the moderate cancelation policy is over the top. I have my own 48-hour cancelation policy, but they're only charged for the first night if they cancel in that window. As they're browsing my listing, they see the moderate cancelation policy (1st night + 50% of subsequent nights).  So, with those lofty expectations, I figure they'll be overjoyed to "only" be charged for the first night within 48-hours.

Preston44
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I know this post is 4 years old, but the issue remains. Airbnb’s cancellation policy is horrible for hosts. Either the guest attempts to reschedule their trip outside of the cancellation window and then cancel, OR they go through support who mentions that they will work with the host. There’s no winning. Either you refuse the refund and force the guest to most likely go through with their reservation and guarantee you a horrible review or you lose a reservation block that won’t be filled short notice. Airbnb should take all responsibility for refunds/cancellations instead of putting it on hosts.

Airbnb's lack of ownership is screwing Guests over too.  I'm currently engaged in a battle with Airbnb over a recent stay.  My family and I arrived at the rental property and found some issues including a significant issue with the A/C.  I contacted the host via Airbnb messages, and after offering to bring an AC the next day, he messaged "I am sorry if you’re not satisfied. You can cancel reservation today.  If you check out I will refund you. "  Please note that I did not ask for a refund - although I was happy to see the offer, the host offered the refund.  Later in the message chain he sent "Yes I will refund you minus cleaning fee .  But Airbnb fee is I am not sure how it is processed I won’t charge Airbnb fee."  Given that I wasn't feeling confident that the issues would be able to be quickly resolved, I took them up on the offer to get a refund, even though I knew it would be a bit of a hassle to find alternate lodging, and we departed.  The next day I received a message from the Host that their refund policy was restricted and I would only receive 50% of the nightly amount.  There was nothing in their original offer which indicated anything about only refunding 50%.  I waited for the Refund Request to expire, and contacted Airbnb.  Their response was literally that "there's little that we can do if the Host has changed his mind regarding the refund."  So according to Airbnb, a Host can lie to get someone to check out, then refuse to pay them what was indicated.  I've been battling Airbnb about this for almost 2 weeks now and am trying to determine what my other options are; this is outright fraud.   Airbnb is refusing to take responsibility for their role in the reservation and refund process, and is allowing Guests to be cheated.  If they are going to allow Hosts to make statements about refunds, then they need to hold the Hosts to what they offered.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Marionne2 if you cannot get Airbnb to see sense then raise a case in the small claims court. Make sure you have screenshots of all the messages. Good luck from a host that doesn't like it when other hosts let the Side down!

Thanks for the advice! 

I know that not all Hosts are dishonest like this; I've had some great Airbnb hosts!  Airbnb needs to clean up their act for the sake of both Guests and Hosts.

Some hosts surely have language barrier problems and over communicating with guests.

All host has to do is to write: Please refer to cancelations policies you agreed to by booking" PERIOD

In my "post booking request" message I ask to clearly state that guests aware and agree to my STRICT cancelations rules (and recomend to buy travel insurance for unpredictable life events)  as well as HOUSE RULES and I do not accept request until confirmed. 

I do not want to make more money at my health expence