Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

I am a United States (super) host and have been listing on Airbnb for about 9 months now. During this time I have noticed a large property management firm start to 'take over' many of the Airbnb listings in my neighborhood - To the point where I am one of only a handful of traditional (non-property managed) Airbnb hosts left, out of nearly 100 listings. These are the same listings I see on other booking sites; there is no home-sharing going on; no on-site host; no personal touches to acknowledge someone's birthday or an anniversary, etc - Just the same kind of anonymous listing you can find anywhere else these days, and there is nothing 'Airbnb'-like about it. 

This same large property management firm offers these listings at ridiculously low prices when they first come onto the market, e.g., in one case an ocean-front house that sleeps 12 was put on the market for $79.00. If I did not excel at marketing my place and catering to a 'custom clientele' (my strategy from the beginning - I have the advantage of being a former VP of Marketing), I would have no doubt been driven out of business nearly immediately - And I am guessing that other hosts may have indeed been driven out of business, or forced to list with this property management firm if they wanted their vacation rental business to survive. True 'home-sharers' may have had to close shop altogether, being unable to compete with such ludicrous prices.

It seems to me that Airbnb appears to be making itself over into a Booking.com or a VRBO or Expedia-type site as it prepares to go public in the not-so-far future. I began to wonder if us traditional hosts are seen as a liability by Airbnb these days as they move toward an IPO: Perhaps because we do things like speak up about flawed or failed policies; want to control our prices and not give in to these constant, nagging reminders to lower our rates to ridiculous levels; and have final say over who / what comes into our homes (whether human guests or animals). 

So, I'm curious, are other hosts noticing property management firms taking over the listings in their area? If so, how is this impacting / affecting you and your listing's success? And if you host in the traditional sense (home-sharing / sharing your primary residential property), do you feel valued as a host, and as a 'partner', by Airbnb? By the way, here's an article on the 16 Steps Airbnb has taken to entice Property Management firms with Vacation Rental listings to list with them. Notice that Property Managers are reportedly paid 30 - 60 days BEFORE the guest checks in. Must be nice! This is just one of the many policy adjustments Airbnb has reportedly made to appease Property Managers and get them to list. Seems like Airbnb is setting up Property Managers to succeed. Are they doing the same for us hosts?  https://www.vrmb.com/airbnb-16-steps/

203 Replies 203
Melissa393
Level 1
Woodinville, WA

As a traveler, I really just want something cheaper than a hotel with a kitchen for cooking. Personal touches are nice, but to be honest I feel a little bit more safe if it is run by a management company anyways. I have met some very sweet people while staying in many airbnb's, although mainly what I am looking for is a place to rest my head safly/comfortably, with the ability to cook my own meals.

What a good point - the cooking facility option.

Donna294
Level 3
Orlando, FL

I am new to Air BnB and have been reading many of the posts in this thread and find it alarming.  Not surprised at the push back from the corporate lodging side of things because they are the ones behind so many of the local city and county ordinances banning short term rentals in many municipalities because they do not want the competition and desire to quash it.  If they are now posting their lodgings on Air BnB, its a mindset of "if we cant beat them, join them" to get their piece of the travel industry pie.  Its always been a struggle for the "little guy" to make it, and this is becoming yet another confirmation.  I say imitation is the best option.  If someone has the tech knowhow, time and energy, another site could be created and promoted as an owner only organization, a grassroots Air BnB for personal property owners.  It is hard to go up against the big boys as we have seen with mom and pop stores trying to survive in the big box store era.  Sincerely hope I am wrong but if Air BnB is progressing towards catering to corporate owned entities, it will be very hard to turn the clock back.  Although I hope you all are successful in bringing about some worthy changes.

Sooner or later a new start up 'Airbnb' will rise, and fill any 'neglected' niche, and the angle you mentioned (owner-only listings) is a natural start.

I agree with your thoughts.  It seems many a good idea has a shelf life because it deviates or morphs into something it originally wasnt intended to become, as Air BnB being invaded by commercial enterprises.  The original idea is a great one, having another option to a sterile hotel room.  It had become expensive for a family to travel if they needed more than one room to accomodate them and then there is all the expense associated with eating out every meal.  Renting a home was an ideal alternative.  And for single travelers to be in a safer environment other than a lonely hotel room.  Along with many other benefits.  I agree with you that if someone has the tech know-how, they could be a grass roots start-up for the travelers who truly desire to stay somewhere other than a commercial establishment.  I think the time is ripe to start filling this niche of the market.  The current vacation hosting sites are moving further and further away from the original model.

David1827
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

This conversation makes me hope that another site will develop just for personally-owner-managed sites.

I have been alarmed to see the additional fees my guests are paying to Airbnb. While the hosts may be charged only 3%, I saw where my guests were being charged an additional Airbnb fee MUCH more than that; it made my property out of reach for some who thought initially they were getting a better deal based on my own listing information. Anyone else experiencing this?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Yesterday, and again today I talked to a property-manager (both 25+ properties) to learn more about the subject. What is also happening is that property-managers will not only 'manage' individual properties, but actually  'lease' them long term, which  in many locales qualifies them as 'the owner'. Now there is an interesting twist.

Tom-and-Carina0
Level 6
North Las Vegas, NV

I have only been here since 2016 August.  However, i research for many month prior. I've seen a great deal more property mangers  on listing each time I look.  I know it will  lower and lower and the  put me out of business.  I do not think airbnb separating them into two platforms  or a filter would help us little guys. As the site grew in popularity the bussiness  it brought are not diehard  homesharers. It brought bargain hunters. They are not looking for my cookies and homemade  treats they are looking for a great stay for less than the alternative. More and more the alternative  is a condo on the strip, professionally  managed. I'm not sure why older hosts believe there was a airbnb core belief and commitment to home sharing. More like a way to have a great bussiness  model on line by matchmaking. They now have a  a way to make higher numbers of matches.  More money. Capitalism. Ok by me. I don't fell like I was betrayed. I'm trying the best I can to work in the limits I have to make money as well. Do i love to host people, sure I do, would I do it for free,no way.

I also believe  as host we can create a market for private listing by being awesome. Also, when unfair  practices emerge speak  up. If they smart dudes who came up with plan don't  see value in quality hosts then they loss said hosts to competition. Then there offering losses value.

Also,  some (just look on here somtime , not this post)private hosts are crazy, worrisome, big dealers,have unrealistic  expectations about guests or about there amazing  services or homes. I hope I'm not one of them. I'm just doing my best to stay afloat.  There is competition and I know we should all probably  cross list our places.

It would be interesting to see how all the hosts who commented here are doing a year from when this post was first written. Have bookings increased or decreased; are there more commercial listings in their area that are now on Airbnb, etc, etc.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rebecca181 It wouldn’t really be that hard for Airbnb to create a new platform like they did with the creation of their “gay friendly” Mrbnb. 

I had a conversation about this at the dog park the other day with a fellow host. 

My idea is to create “AirbnbPro”.

a booking platform dedicated exclusively to the professional hosting outfits. 

Airbnb could charge a listing fee like other paid booking sites to promote rankings.

This includes all the hotels and large commercial properties. 

Then keep the traditional Airbnb platform for small host. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

@Rene-and-Zac0 This is my dream!

@Rene-and-Zac0 in my opinion, this would be the ideal solution and it is smart to refer to MrAirbnb - Obviously this can be done. Have you presented this as an idea on Host Voice?

@Rebecca181 Pulllleaze. I’d have a better chance beating Chuck Norris in Numchuck fight than get through something to Airbnb. 

They really need to just give me an office down the hall from Brian. I’ll show you how to be innovative and cutting edge.

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

I live in a college town and in the past year have noticed a huge uptick in listings from large property managers.  I'm also familiar with the full page of identically listed rooms, coming from one host, which knocks the other listings down the list.

In my area everyone tries to lease for 12 months Aug-Aug, since that aligns with the school year.  If you end up with vacancies after August you're in trouble.  The listings I'm seeing are no-doubt property managers who failed to fill all their spots, and I think a lot of them are trying airbnb for the first time.  It is my feeling that they will probably find airbnb to be far too intensive for regular use, and they'll try all that much harder not to have vacancies again.  

That said, I agree with others that guests should see some distinction when searching.  Just like craigslist had to segregate items for sale by individuals from items for sale by dealers.  The dealers would clog up the search results with stuff that no one really wanted to see.

@Christopher187 Yes, good observation there. And, of course, given Airbnb is wooing and courting property managers and adjusting policies for them and such, who can blame them for listing?