Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

I am a United States (super) host and have been listing on Airbnb for about 9 months now. During this time I have noticed a large property management firm start to 'take over' many of the Airbnb listings in my neighborhood - To the point where I am one of only a handful of traditional (non-property managed) Airbnb hosts left, out of nearly 100 listings. These are the same listings I see on other booking sites; there is no home-sharing going on; no on-site host; no personal touches to acknowledge someone's birthday or an anniversary, etc - Just the same kind of anonymous listing you can find anywhere else these days, and there is nothing 'Airbnb'-like about it. 

This same large property management firm offers these listings at ridiculously low prices when they first come onto the market, e.g., in one case an ocean-front house that sleeps 12 was put on the market for $79.00. If I did not excel at marketing my place and catering to a 'custom clientele' (my strategy from the beginning - I have the advantage of being a former VP of Marketing), I would have no doubt been driven out of business nearly immediately - And I am guessing that other hosts may have indeed been driven out of business, or forced to list with this property management firm if they wanted their vacation rental business to survive. True 'home-sharers' may have had to close shop altogether, being unable to compete with such ludicrous prices.

It seems to me that Airbnb appears to be making itself over into a Booking.com or a VRBO or Expedia-type site as it prepares to go public in the not-so-far future. I began to wonder if us traditional hosts are seen as a liability by Airbnb these days as they move toward an IPO: Perhaps because we do things like speak up about flawed or failed policies; want to control our prices and not give in to these constant, nagging reminders to lower our rates to ridiculous levels; and have final say over who / what comes into our homes (whether human guests or animals). 

So, I'm curious, are other hosts noticing property management firms taking over the listings in their area? If so, how is this impacting / affecting you and your listing's success? And if you host in the traditional sense (home-sharing / sharing your primary residential property), do you feel valued as a host, and as a 'partner', by Airbnb? By the way, here's an article on the 16 Steps Airbnb has taken to entice Property Management firms with Vacation Rental listings to list with them. Notice that Property Managers are reportedly paid 30 - 60 days BEFORE the guest checks in. Must be nice! This is just one of the many policy adjustments Airbnb has reportedly made to appease Property Managers and get them to list. Seems like Airbnb is setting up Property Managers to succeed. Are they doing the same for us hosts?  https://www.vrmb.com/airbnb-16-steps/

203 Replies 203

@Rebecca0Diversification is the only way to success! We cannot only rely on Airbnb these days.Way too risky.

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 Sad, but true. 

@Rebecca181 Speaking of the truth, i wonder why no moderators are supporting the community and it's regular members when they are facing very problematic situation? As the French would say "Il y a anguille sous roche"

@ Rebecca Yes you are spot on, its happening in Sydney whereby a newly formed company xyz is doing what you explained and is trying to do it overseas as well. However this is only one piece of the puzzle!

Expedia has taken over Home Away, Home Away also bought Stayz in our country now converted to home away! They are all changing their model similar to airbnb. 

Every one wants a piece of the market. Including politicians and councils trying to get extra tax even if each Host already pay personal/business TAX. Its such a vicous attack on what was original in terms of providing something that filled the void on tourists etc how they can travel and not pay $350 to $450 staying in Hotels. I actually prefer to stay in boutique hotels but when travelling long term it can be unaffordable. 

Yes we are all caught in this marketplace of every outsider wanting a piece of the pie!

Thats why when everyone copies the model, its time to adopt a newer model. 

I read news stories that airbnb could be teaming up with another global booking platform. Whether is true or not, yet to see!!!!

hmmmmmm.....!!! 

In addition Accor hotels has bought One Fine Stays so its a war in homestays. WE should all try and stick together because its the superhosts that has endured a livable experience for homestays and promote ourselves as reliable hosts! Some places are not up to standard and if people are use to staying at hotels then try homestays, the environment should be super clean including cleaning all duvets and covers, not providing dark coloured towels. Tough luck if guests stains, chuck it out, buy new towels, Towels are not expensive! Hosts must provide decent spaces and amenities .

STAY POSITIVE and hopefully the dust settles!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Indeed, Syl, what we Super Hosts offer is unique, and our strong reviews attest to this. It is unfortunate that, while Airbnb pays 'lip-service' to us by saying how valuable we are, the truth is, their focus is on promoting Airbnb Plus, 'Concerts', 'Experiences', 'Beyond', etc. - Not Super Hosts. We deserved to be featured at the top of the search results, but that never happened. Very disappointing. 

Yes Rebecca, I agree with you 100%, airbnb are **bleep** lucky to have honest outspoken superhosts like you who pretty much can speak well on my behalf. I enjoy reading Sara posts also. So right!

Thankyou for speaking so well on our behalf! YES AIRBNB SUPERHOST DESERVES TO BE HIGHLIGHT ON THE TOP SPACE! THEY ARE THE HOSTS THAT ARE PROVIDING A SAFE ALTERNATIVE AND A PROVEN NON SCAM ACCOMODATION! 

@ Rebecca, I already forward my questions to Q & A, if you ask Brian C that Question to "Place US SUPERHOSTS on  the TOP SPACE", it would work in their favour of traditional hosting which made the company successful in the first place. In the future IPO, they are going to need us to sell us out so WE DEMAND THE TOP PRIORITY IN MARKETING SPACES ON THEIR SITE!

Hey@Rebecca

How are you going? the airbnb superhost is rising from the ASHES. I saw it feature neatly under airbnb plus and its like thousands of us...!  I hope they listen to you because you are RIGHT!!!

Be well!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Airbnb is not stupid. If they wanted to feature us, they would have by now. We are supposed to be pleased and grateful for a 'Super Host' filter that is rarely used, as most guests don't know or care what a Super Host is. Obviously, their focus is on 'Plus'. And it seems to me that as more locations become 'Plus' locations, the less valuable we 'regular' hosts / Super Hosts will become unless we get accepted into the 'Plus' program. In fact,  the most successful Super Hosts are just competition for 'Plus', so why would they support us? I imagine it will be 'Go Plus or Go Home' by that point.

@ Rebecca, I think some superhosts are still not accurate superhosts because airbnb didn't take the photos and they didn't go inside their homes to verify it, but the hosts have good communication skills to get so many 5 stars. 

I personally wasn't interested in Plus because I like the simple aestatics of no clustering with furniture.  When I travel myself I wish I can stay in places with hardly any furniture LOL! 

The new plus photos have lots of  furniture it still doesn't suit my taste. The single color wall contrast also isn't my taste. I also like to update pictures and change rugs, fabric interiors and provide new pictures so it remains my way of hosting. I can understand its so much better that they have a range of plus to increase their stylish homes and was needed. Not every hosts are interior designer experts.

I am interested in the Beyond to see how it folds out.  Hopefully hosts like you, Sarah, a few great superhosts can be in Beyond. As long as GUESTS START TO REALISE THAT HOSTS ARE OPENING THEIR HOMES TO STRANGERS AND FOR GUESTS TO REMAIN RESPECTFUL, It can test my patience sometimes. When I think I had enough I block off my dates and not HOST. 

They keep asking for FEEDBACK, we are giving them feedback. Two days ago they upgraded my overall score to 4.9. two days after they drop it back to 4.8

Hey whats up airbnb!

All you superhost are rising from the ashes! its featuring higher on the search list!!!

woohoo! Thanks Rebecca!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Rebecca181 Here's how valued we are... this is my response to the CX agent who refunded a scamming guest *in full*, despite my strong objections. Can't upload screenshots, so had to copy and paste

Hi Gennica

It's now 3 full days since you abritrarily over-ruled my Strict cancellarion policy and refunded €2400 of my money to a scamming guest who made spurious complaints about my bed size (disclosed in my listing), and street noise (refuted by my other Airbnb guests right next door) in order to wriggle out of his booking. Despite sending you two further emails requesting clarification as to your reasoning for this decision, I have received neither a response to my emails, nor any explanation whatsoever as to why you/Airbnb feel it's in any way appropriate, ethical, right or even legal to hand *my* payment over to the guest, against my cancellarion policy and without my consent. 

Not only that, I'd like an explanation too please as to why Airbnb allowed a guest who had clearly indicated his intention to cancel, to remain in my home (trespassing) for many hours after my 11am check out (on day 2 of the reservation that I never got paid one cent for), presumably to allow him the extra time to fabricate/stage new "reasons" for leaving (as his initial claims were disproved), in order to be granted a full refund - which the guest himself said that Airbnb (you?) advised him to do. (Screenshots of this conversation with guest available)

Before reaching the decision that my home wasn't good enough for them to remain in, the XXXXX's did make extensive use of my home and *all* its amenities - they used my washing machine and tumbler dryer and detergents (they told me on arrival that they had been travelling for 3 weeks, and it was imperative they could launder all the dirty clothes they'd accumulated straight away. Which they did). The 6 of them happily consumed the food, chocolate and wine I leave for all my guests, used my showers including the many toiletries and towels I provide, cleaned out their hire car with my vacuum, used my hairdryers and hair products, watched my Netflix, played on my PS4 and pool table, cooked in my oven and grill, unnecessarily used several extra sets of bedcovers, and drank copious amounts of my coffee. 

In return for my 16-time superhost hospitality (rated 5.0 by my thousands of previous guests), Mr XXXXX was rude, hostile, disrespectful and overbearing throughout. He and his family moved my furniture around, damaging my wooden floors in the process (and left the furniture for me to put back), rummaged and snooped through spaces I had informed them were *not* for guests' use (old storage cupboard and my own private storage spaces and personal effects), left their leftover food uncovered in my fridge, open trash bags (containing decomposing food) on my kitchen floor and dirty dishes in my sink for me to wash up, left burnt on food stuck to my oven and grill, destroyed one of my towels with what looks like black hair dye (and hung it right where it would be staring me in the face when I walked in), left every light in the house blazing (in the middle of the day), left toilet paper stuck to my bathroom walls, left wet towels thrown on beds, wooden furniture and on my wooden floors, clogged up one of my showers with long black hair, took a picture down off my wall and left it on the floor facing another wall, with a table in front of it (caricature of iconic movie characters, one of a set of 3). Photos of all the above provided upon request. And the final insult - Mr XXXXX not only left my front door unlocked, but left it wide open, just metres from the street. I returned home the following day to find it still open, but by some miracle, nobody had strolled in during the night and robbed me blind (unless you count the XXXXXs and Airbnb, of course)

So as you can imagine, I'm more than a little upset at the moment Gennica. Your failure - THREE days later - to offer even the most cursory explanation for Airbnb refunding this dishonest man *in full*  (at Airbnb's suggestion, according to Mr XXXXX) without so much as a discussion with me first, after he and his family had used and abused both my home and my hospitality, is a clear indication of the utter contempt and disregard Airbnb now has for the very hosts on whose backs this company's fortunes were built. And of course, it shows Airbnb's "valued Superhost" status up for being nothing other than the total con-trick that it is. 

The bottom line here is, Airbnb has rewarded this guest for his reprehensible, manipulative behaviour by immorally gifting him €2400 of *my* money, which was legally due to me, as per the terms of my strict cancellation policy. In addition to that, Airbnb has forced me to absorb all the costs of this entire family's stay out of my own pocket, as unbelievably, you also saw fit to refund them for the 2 days they were here, using all my facilities!!! 

How *dare* Airbnb disregard my many years of exemplary service to their guests, and my long-proven history of top-class hosting on this platform, and devalue what I offer here as being utterly worthless? Payout of €0.00?? And forcing me to host your guests for free - at my own expense, in my own home? What a despicable way for Airbnb to treat their hosts. 

Unfortunately Gennica, hell will freeze over before I accept this decision and permit myself and my home to be cheated and violated like this. As it appears that Airbnb doesn't even have the courtesy of offering me any sort of explanation for this shockingly unfair and unconscionable decision, and you continue to ignore my attempts to engage in further conversation, I have been left with no option but to take this further. And right now, the media (social media and mainstream media) seems like the only place to raise my concerns and get my voice heard. 

One last thing - I'm not sure if you or your superiors in your office are aware of the new European Commission laws and regulations concerning Airbnb, that were brought into effect on July 16th of this year, but I strongly suggest you all acquaint yourselves with them pretty rapidly, as I'll be taking my case to them too. 

Kind regards
Susan 

@Susan17 This is genuinely heartbreaking to read / hear about. I am so very, very sorry that you were put through this entire ordeal; the fact that Airbnb threw a bucket of salt onto your wounds simply validates my growing conviction that we traditional (non-commercial property managed and/or shared home hosts) are viewed as being voiceless, disposable, and dispensable, making it easy for us to be dismissed and dehumanized via incomprehensible decisions such as the one you describe in detail here.

It is my hope that you create a dedicated post on this latest Airbnb escapade that once again victimizes hard-working hosts; it is also my hope that your report does not get 'minimized' or rationalized away by other hosts here who seem to have trouble wrapping their minds around the fact that our rights under AIrbnb's own Terms of Service are apparently being violated with increasing frequency these past few months. This effects the entire community, whether it has happened personally to them or not. These days I feel like I am playing a game of Russian Roulette, hosting with Airbnb. Which chamber has the bullet? I don't know about you, but it's a game I no longer care to play.