Australia: tax

Australia: tax

Hi, can anyone give me any advice on how Australian tax works for Airbnb revenue?  Thanks very much 🙂

76 Replies 76
Marlous0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I will be in trouble if they cap the number of rental days in Victoria as I rely on the income to pay the mortgage on my investment  property as renting it would be insufficient income to meet the monthly payments.  The majority of my bookings are long term (currently there is someone there for 5 weeks) as I am close to Monash University and international student families book it for long periods.  I also close to Monash Hospital and families do extended stays when loved ones are in hospital. This is in addition tot he ones who come for holidays to visit families living in the area.  I am no threat to the tourist industry as I am 15k out of the city and as my home is 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms it would be difficult for families of 6 to afford hotel/motel type of accommodation.  When financial lifestyle decisions are made on currently laws the government should not be able to retrospectively change them.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Sally3 exactly the same as a rental property . H