BROKEN MIRROR from a child

Paul206
Level 2
Denver, CO

BROKEN MIRROR from a child

A guest checked in today. They were not even there an hour and their 1 year old "allegedly" pushed a mirror I had leaning up against a wall and the mirror fell forward and broke. This is a 6ft floor mirror and weights about 75 pounds. I don't understand how a 1 year old could knock over a mirror of this proportion. THANK GOD the baby is ok and there were no injuries. The mirror can be replaced, but what I am more concerned about now is the mother's lack of care and responsibility - how could you let a 1 year old out of your sight long enough to knock over a mirror that could have killed him?  I am very concerned about the rest of their stay - for their safety and my own safety, I want to ask them to leave. Can I do this? Thoughts?

17 Replies 17
Joanne30
Level 2
Kailua-Kona, HI

You are at fault for not securing a 75 # mirror.

Consider yourself lucky that no injuries occured.

Kids will be Kids and these things happen.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have to agree I would never leave a freestanding  floor length heavy mirror (or any mirror) in a house let out to children of all ages.

How is this any different than a child running out in the street? We cannot child proof everything in life. At the end of the day, the parent has a RESPONSIBILITY to keep an eye on THEIR CHILD! They are going into a new environment, you don't let your baby out of sight.  What about letting your child out of sight in a store and they knock something off a shelf that breaks? Is that the store's fault or the mother's fault for not properly keeping an eye on their kid. Put yourself on the other side of the fence before you try to blame me

How is this any different than a child running out in the street? We cannot child proof everything in life. At the end of the day, the parent has a RESPONSIBILITY to keep an eye on THEIR CHILD! They are going into a new environment, you don't let your baby out of sight.  What about letting your child out of sight in a store and they knock something off a shelf that breaks? Is that the store's fault or the mother's fault for not properly keeping an eye on their kid. Put yourself on the other side of the fence before you try to blame me

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You can always ask them to leave, if you cancel their booking there will be consequences. Like any other cancelation.

Have they agree to pay for a new mirror?

David

Not at all David. In fact she tried to blame me that the mirror was not secured to the wall. I've had many kids at my home before and never had any issues, but I've always kept an eye on them. To be honest, I am not sure that I am buying into her story. Think about it - how does a 1 year old have enough strength to get enough movement behind a mirror that heavy and cause it to fall?

Whether it was a child or an adult, an unsecured mirror falling on someone will get you in hot water unfortunately.  So it matters little as to whether a child or adult pushed it in terms of liability. They might share some blame for any personal injury but you would find yourself liable too.

I'd suggest thinking about whether or not your unit is child friendly and then you have to be prepared to accept some of the risks that go with children being in your unit.

If you have a security deposit in place you can try make a claim, however, I am guessing (just guessing) that AirBnB will side with the guest, that a mirror of that size should have fixings. 

Good luck...and thankfully no one was injured.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am not sure it was the baby, that seems odd as the baby would have been injured or worse. (unless it crawled behind the mirror and pushed it maybe? But too heavy??). I have looked at your pictures and cannot see the mirror anywhere. And yes, you certainly need to make things as safe as possible. Consider yourself very lucky, get another mirror and anchor it.

I agree, but it is also not my responsibility to child proof my home. This is my home that these folks are a GUEST in. Are you also suggesting I shoudl have child locks on everything? I dont think so. At some point, common sense must prevail and responsible parents must look after their kids.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If you allow children, you don't need child locks at all, you just need to be aware that there are many types of parents and some don't supervise, and are unaware of the pitfalls in your particular place. I allow older children only, prefer from 7 and up, the Age of Reason. Stairs, crayons, jammy hands, water in the garden, tantrums, crockery... Little children are tiny hooligans at times, unwittingly. Parents relax on holiday. I also need the ratio to be good, not two children to one adult for instance.

I completely agree with you- do you also need to put knives in a locked drawer, in case a child gets to those as well?  Outlet plugs?  Hide the chemicals?

This is a HOME, not their home, but our home.  Guests should understand that it is their responsibility to look through for the safety of their child.  When my daughter was little, and we stayed in hotels, I always moved lamps, wires, sharp objects, or anything that I thought could harm her or get broken.  How is this any different?

Thank you for this post, this unfortunate incident has made me re-think how I'm going to post my listing (which I'm new at).  I will let renters know that though I welcome children, the house is not child-proof and it is up to the parents to ensure their own child's safety and be aware of breakable objects.  Or something like that.  

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

You seem to have two choice. Either make the house child proof or don’t allow children 

It might seem counter intuitive but I don't allow children in the treehouse.  They are not totally human yet, and tend to make a mess.  Much like dogs.  I don't allow dogs either.

Adults are bad enough.  I don't need children and dogs added in.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Yep. No children allowed, period. My home is not a McDonalds playplace.