Best Integrated Smart Lock

Answered!
Charlie-And-Rob0
Level 3
Victoria, Australia

Best Integrated Smart Lock

Hi All,

I've read most of the strings and done quite a bit of searching but I'm yet to locate a good smart lock that fully integrates with AirBnB.  

My preference is for something that doesn't require another app and auto generates/distributes a code to the guest via the Airbnb app/communications.  Anyone seen anything/used anything that fits this profile?

Thanks.

Charlie

1 Best Answer
Heather649
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Hi, I would suggest that you investigate The Airlocking System.  I think it would satisfy all your requirements.  

Here is a cut and paste from their website:

THE AIRLOCKING SYSTEM:

INSTALL LOCK AND HUB:
AirLocking ships you a Smart lock system. You just need to connect the system to the internet and follow the straightforward instructions to install the lock.

GUESTS RECEIVE DOOR CODE:
AirLocking automatically emails your guests' door codes in advance of their trips along with other check-in information you wish to pass along. You are copied on these emails for your tracking.

LINK WITH AIRBNB CALENDAR:
AirLocking seamlessly links with your Airbnb calendar to track reservations. The AirLocking portal provides status information and allows you to control guest notifications.

LOCK UPDATED WITH CODES:
AirLocking enables the door code in the lock at check-in time and disables it after checkout time. AirLocking also allows you to have codes for your own use which are separate from the guest codes.

CHECK-OUT BUTTON: (Patent Pending)
Airlocking has added a new feature--a CHECK-OUT BUTTON. When guests leave, they are asked to push this button. Instantly, the Host is alerted to their departure and can proceed with Cleaning Services or Repairs.

Heather 649

View Best Answer in original post

78 Replies 78

Thank you so much for this.  I just had a call with them this week and was strongly considering their system as it seems to be able to do everything I need.   I will continue my research.  Do you have any idea what system you want to replace them with?

JP, I agree with everything you said about the Remote Lock. I'd tired two locks and have to return both to Amazon. Terrible locks and customer service. Stay away!
Laurie-And-Bob0
Level 2
Highland, UT

We have been using Yale locks for about 6 months now.  They just came out with a much less expensive one which allows us to program the guest's phone number as the door code in a matter of seconds, or remotely open the door.  We just purchased one for our own front door for $129 https://www.amazon.com/Yale-Electronic-Deadbolt-SmartThings-Polished/dp/B00IPR3LQ0/ref=pd_sim_60_7?_...

We manage it through a Samsung hub at the rental property through the internet.  All in we are less than $200, plus the monthly Internet.  You can add water sensors, outside cameras, etc, so you can be aware of what is happening at the property without violating anyone's privacy.  I suppose you could also get a security monitoring company, but if you have friendly neighbors and you keep track of when people are supposed to be in your property, for less than $400-$500 you can have the ability to turn off water remotely, be aware of any open doors or windows, reset the door lock codes, turn the outside lights on and off, turn lights on inside and out on and off, and have some surveillance cameras in place to see if someone entered that shouldn't be there, raise or lower the thermostat, know if the fire alarms are being triggered or need the batteries replaced, moved the fire extinguisher for some reason, or maybe brought in a pet when they shouldn't.  The cost is pretty minimal, and we have found we made it up in just the thermostat fuel savings and the saved trips for folks who had trouble on the locks.  We love the Yale locks, so give it a try.

when you program the guests phone number, do you need to "de-program" the number after they leave?  Can you set the lock to allow the guest number to not work after a specific check out date?

I just clicked your link to look at the Yale lock you are recommending and it shows the price at $431.  Is this the same lock or did the link change?  I am interested in checking this out as the price is much lower than many of the locks I've seen and I've got a building with lots of doors!!

https://www.amazon.com/Yale-Electronic-Deadbolt-SmartThings-Polished/dp/B00IPR3LQ0/ref=pd_sim_60_7?_...

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

We have been using various smart locks for years at home and properties. Schlage and Yale are excellent ones, two of the ones we like the most:

Yale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS1O77G

Schlage:

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Connect-Touchscreen-Deadbolt-SmartThings/dp/B00AGK9KOG

Personally I prefer the Yale lock since it has better  battery life but very happy overall. The Schlage lock hsa a few more security features which we use in our house but for the rental property, we prefer the Yale lock which has all the features we need and it's very reliable (the Schlage battery needs to be changed once it hits 50% where as with the Yale we are safe all the way down to 20% through we try to change it sooner if possible).

As for managing the users, we have been using them with SmartThings to program them remotely using RBoy Apps (you can check them out at www.rboyapps.com)

They also have a low battery app to inform us when the lock battery needs to be changed (about once in 4-5 months).

For almost 2 years we had been using their lock code user management app which allowed us to manually program the users and set start / end dates so we could program this weeks/months ahead and forget about it. Come time and it would activate the user codes and then delete them when the stay was over.

We could also set it up to turn everything off (HVAC, lights and turn on the cameras) when the renters left (the app takes cares of all this). It's been very reliable (barring a few internet connectivity issues) and the support is great. This is the original app:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-door-lock-code-lock-user-management-create-delete-and-sc...

However, with their newer version called Rental Lock Automater that automatically connects to the airbnb property calendar, schedules the users and even sends them a customized text message, we can't say enough good things about this app. Basically it's completely hands off user management for us. You can find more details here:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-rental-lock-automater-automate-user-codes-with-airbnb-ho...

I just love how reliable and comprehensive this app is it's been competely bliss for us especially with peak season coming up.

So all I need is smartthing hub, Yale lock and the RLA app... Sounds good to me! Ive been trying to figure out best way to do this and trying to avoid montly subscription if possible. RLA app is like one time fee of $35 right?

@Madhura0 wrote:

We have been using various smart locks for years at home and properties. Schlage and Yale are excellent ones, two of the ones we like the most:

Yale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS1O77G

Schlage:

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Connect-Touchscreen-Deadbolt-SmartThings/dp/B00AGK9KOG

Personally I prefer the Yale lock since it has better  battery life but very happy overall. The Schlage lock hsa a few more security features which we use in our house but for the rental property, we prefer the Yale lock which has all the features we need and it's very reliable (the Schlage battery needs to be changed once it hits 50% where as with the Yale we are safe all the way down to 20% through we try to change it sooner if possible).

As for managing the users, we have been using them with SmartThings to program them remotely using RBoy Apps (you can check them out at www.rboyapps.com)

They also have a low battery app to inform us when the lock battery needs to be changed (about once in 4-5 months).

For almost 2 years we had been using their lock code user management app which allowed us to manually program the users and set start / end dates so we could program this weeks/months ahead and forget about it. Come time and it would activate the user codes and then delete them when the stay was over.

We could also set it up to turn everything off (HVAC, lights and turn on the cameras) when the renters left (the app takes cares of all this). It's been very reliable (barring a few internet connectivity issues) and the support is great. This is the original app:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-door-lock-code-lock-user-management-create-delete-and-sc...

However, with their newer version called Rental Lock Automater that automatically connects to the airbnb property calendar, schedules the users and even sends them a customized text message, we can't say enough good things about this app. Basically it's completely hands off user management for us. You can find more details here:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-rental-lock-automater-automate-user-codes-with-airbnb-ho...

I just love how reliable and comprehensive this app is it's been competely bliss for us especially with peak season coming up.

Yes that's pretty much it, a Yale Lock, a SmartThings hub, a z-wave plug that acts like a repeater (we were told to add this to make the z-wave setup more resilient, cost us about $20 and we haven't had any issues so far) and the RLA app.

I believe the $35 is for a personal license, for the commercial license which includes RLA it's a one time fee of $99 (no monthly fees).

Great to know! I'll grab the apps once I get the locks installed.

Have you tried the push button or just touch screen? Wasn't sure which was best.

Both good AFAIK, we have a Schlage push button at home and others are touch screen. From what I've heard if the lock is facing the sun directly it may be better to go for push button due to heating of the pad. We haven't had any issues though.

Kris1
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

I use the Schlage BE369NX with keypad and zwave connectivity to Smartthings. I then run the RBoy Apps Airbnb Rental Lock Automater to automatically generate codes based on the guest's phone number. They simply need to enter the last 4 digits of their phone number into the keypad and that's it!. It's fully automated.

So you'll want to get a lock which connects to smartthings and will work with the RBOY Apps Airbnb Rental Lock Automater. You really want to stay away from asking guests to install apps - using their phone number is the easiest solution. This way you don't have to send them their code.

Agreed. I use this method and it's awesome. We have instructions put in our check in guide, plus our property managers message the guest a few days prior in Airbnb what their code is (last 4 digits of their airbnb registered phone number), and finally the smartthings Rboy app sends a text to the user "X" number of days prior to the stay based on your preferences. 

It works amazing. I chose the Schlage lock based on ratings around reliability, security, and ease of use. Plus it looks the nicest in my opinion. I've been using it for nightly rentals since Feb 2018 at least and batteries are at 79% still so I don't feel it's burning battery quickly as another user said. I'm using the Century BE469 CEN 626 bought off Amazon. 

Khóa-Điện-Tử0
Level 2
Hạ Long, Vietnam

August smart lock is the best smart door lock. They are compatible with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa and Google Home too. I am having 3rd Generation of it and using it Amazon Alexa without facing any hurdles. Before this, I was using the Schlage Z-Wave lock.  https://www.thecrazybuyers.com/best-smart-door-locks/

Did you consider just onboarding your Schlage Z-Wave lock onto AirLocking (https://airlocking.co)?

Are you using the separate August keypad rather than asking your guests to download an app? Asking guests to download an app doesn't seem convenient.

I've heard the battery life on the keypad  isn't great though. How often do you have to change the batteries? Also, since the keypad is oustide and exposed to the weather and batteries discharge faster in the cold, how does it do in the winter?