Condo Board Sent me a notice to stop hosting

Answered!

Condo Board Sent me a notice to stop hosting

I have to cancel my reservations starting in a week after recieving a notice from my condo board.  What is the best way to do this?  Does this count as an extenuating circumstance?

A real bummer, I was having a great time hosting and meeting people.

Thank you

1 Best Answer

@Alexander, you could try to talk airbnb into considering the cancellations as caused by the same event and error and that they should apply only one penalty to all of them, not one to every single one. You have understandable cause for your error and it would encourage you to continue hosting with the same account and on airbnb.
Call them and keep trying. Try to get a case manager or get higher up and plead your good will. That you tried to minimise damage to guests and airbnb image should help, insist on that.
When the airbnb founders started to lodge students on an airbed in their living room, they did not have permission to do that either. Their "illegal" idea is worth billions today.

Unfortunately, this forum is getting more hostile by the day. And I could not even say if the unsolicited attacks are worse or the unmotivated All-is-well-be-happy nonsense the same people post on other triggers. It's just pavlovian reflexes is action.
I'm very sorry that you got that straight off when asking for help.
Good luck for your negotiations!

View Best Answer in original post

84 Replies 84

@Dave-and-Deb0, thank you. I admired your stamina the last days, you and Clare hold up this forum as well as you can. Your guidebooks are great work. 

I have been feeling more and more unwell in this environment, I dropped in yesterday to give it another try but it's an oppressive admosphere.

@Helga0 will you ever learn? LMAO. I cannot believe you snared me into this trap of muck and myer.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

And Lizzie, I know your intial reaction may be to edit or even delete my post.  But please, give pause before you do this.  I believe, as clearly do many others, that my comments are warranted and they highlight what is becoming an increasing and worrying issue with this forum.  

For whatever reason, the new style forum is creating an environment which is far removed from the supportive, engaged and collaborative style of the old Groups.  I'd hope that Airbnb will take a step back and consider why this is so and more importantly, what needs to be done to address the destruction of the true sense of 'community' that existed prior to this 'improvement'.

@Robin4 Actually, the first thing that should be done is to get out the condo regulations origionally agreed to and signed. Then to get a hold of any revisions to the orgional agreement and discover who and how many votes it took to amend. Then if you cannot find a loop hole there, Go to the individuals who revised or created said ammendments and ask for clarity.  It is not a federal case, but every written and argued legal word goes back to the intent of the persons who authored the words and their ligitmacy at the time.  This is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer. Just sayin. I am a paralegal and worked at a lawfirm for many years. Consult an attorney for the facts, after reading your documents.

HI  @Alexander15 you are very welcome.  Thanks for appreciating @Robin4 too.

And, I was not offended by your choice to cap the words you did....(furthermore and pets).  Just made it easier to read without

my glasses. 🙂  Nor was I put off by your reply......even though one could probably guess your tone wasn't delightful either. 

thanks for elaborating your situation.  Wish you had done so from the get so (I can remind your legal landlord/friend /condo owner that they too need to read their association rules as well. Ignorance is not a viable excuse in any regard.  

Great to hear you contacted each guest, but completely disagree with your opinion about Airbnb as their terms and conditions are very clear.....for those who take the time to read them. 

If you have more time, you should read the post I wrote yesterday THANKING another host for calling me out publically on giving the wrong advice to another host because I had read part of her question scenario wrong....and I sincerely thanked that host because I don't have an issue learning, humbling and appreciating anyone who takes the time to call me out even if it did embarass me.  That's how we all grow. 

and to address your other comments you directed at me....all I can say is...."YEP!" 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Alexander it sucks this 1000$ penalty. And after this conversation, I think that you are right, and if Airbnb is not checking better is because is getting lots of moneis for the illegal leastings. 

Cristina 

@Alexander15 Classiest response I have seen. Bravo.
Hosts are not actually *required* to respond on the forum, though you would surely never know from reading through the many posts.
Anyway, good luck with getting everything sorted, & hope you are able to enjoy the holiday. Happy 4th!

WELL SAID!!!! I agree 1,000%

Jessica66
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Hello,

My parter and I own a brand new condo in downtown Toronto. We received possession of the condo in January of this year and began renting it out on Airbnb in March.

So far, it has been extremely successful. Because of it's location and it's size, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, we are able to be selective with which reservations I accept. We host small, young families, who are quiet, responsible, and respectful. It has been a really lovely experience meeting these families, and helping them plan their stay in our city. We have been 99% booked since March and from today until September, we have only 3 days that are not booked.

Our home insurance covers short term rentals, and goes above and beyond what is necessary.

We have never relied on the building or concierge to assist us with our guests in any way. We always meet our guests in person to hand over keys at check in and check out, and if they need assistance during their stay, we are always nearby to help.

My partner received a phone call from the property manager yesterday, telling us that what we are doing is against the condo rules, and that if we do not stop, they will take legal action.

I am reaching out to you because I wonder if you have any previous experience with a situation like this.

It is not written in the condo rules, declaration, yet they threaten us legal action!!??

Any advice or experience you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Jessica **

I would firstly ask them which rule you have breached. I have certainly heard of such bluster before with no such basis.

If they take it further fight fore with fire, you will need your own lawyer to threaten to counter sue. Assuming they do not have any legal basis that should be the end of it.

Have you spoken to other owners in the block, do you know what the managements are like?

David

If I were you and you were me.

I would make friends with the condo board association.

See if you can get on it.

Did you respond to them that you  have a Fee Simple Absolute deed/title?

Do you have this in Canada?

If there are no laws against it what could they possibly cite you for?

Shall they make some up?

What does your association contract say about changes to terms and conditions and the notice

if any required to give members of such changes?

Do they require a vote to change the laws?

I would love to hear how this works out for you.

We have many members in ShannonsABBStoryForum on Facebook,

who would also like to learn how this works out for you.

Shannon

Oh, I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Rachael0
Level 2
Western Australia, Australia

Hey

Im so sorry to hear about your situation. If you miss having people have you looked at Couchsurfing? I used to do and loved it way more than Airbnb becuase it is free you can not get busted for it and people do not expect your place to be like a hotel. In fact they are very likely to help clean your place and cook you a meal and be super grateful. Also you can stay at other people's places for free when you travel.

I do enjoy Airbnb but if I did not have the fiscal pressures I have atm I would go back to Couchsurfing in a heartbeat.

Just a thought

Goodluck

Rachael

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rachael0 @David126 Hi Rachael...that is interesting lateral thinking for those who may be caught up in regulation issues as regards to hosting.

As we are in close proximity to our local high school more than half our year is taken up with 'Homestay' for overseas students and there are absolutely no 'regulations' to contravene where this activity is concerned. All that is required is a 'Crimtrac' (police report) and a school clearance to host minors and acceptance into the Homestay registration program.

We concurently host both Italian and Japanese students and I have to tell you, this actvity is a delight and we have gained so many wonderful experiences from doing this.

Because our facility is self contained and not just a spare room in a house, and is less than two minutes walk to the school, this cottage is seen as the school's premium location. We can host up to three students at the same time.......as long as they are from different cultures! The authorities will not allow two students from the same country of origin in the one facility because they tend to form an enclave of their own rather than mixing and learning from a different culture. But as long as they are from different backgrounds we can host virtually as many as we wish. And financially it is lucrative, three students can return you the best part of $1,000 per week with no government tax issues!!

Many schools around the world are all the time on the lookout for host families to take part in the homestay program. It is a wonderful way to gain experience in other cultures. Last year one of our students was a 16 year old Japanese girl from Ciba in Tokyo. She was obviously not from a wealthy family and had very little discretional money of her own, so the last night she was with us we gave her an Opal necklace  and she cried and cried. Experiences like that you just can't gain through Airbnb.

It does not suit all hosting situations by a long shot but for those who may be caught up in hosting regulations it is an alternative well worth thinking about.....Thanks Rachael for bringing it up....cheers.....Rob

what do u mean by atm and fiscal pressures (financial difficulties)? for about how many nights would u have these couchsurfers?

Avi9
Level 1
Dallas, TX

whats my rights ?

can is till rent my condo?