DAY 3: Was it Worth it!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

DAY 3: Was it Worth it!

Most of us want a challenge in life, challenging ourselves keeps us young, something I didn’t really care much about until this last few years.

Nine years ago we bought a derelict house; we were getting near the end of our travelling having spent most of our retirement nest-egg!

Most things in life are not really a challenge because, we get someone else to fulfil that challenge…it is our idea, but someone else’s effort. I didn’t want this property to be like that, I wanted to actually do everything I possibly could myself.

This was the state of the listing cottage the day we took over the main property in Oct 2009. 

101.jpg

It was just an old brick garage that water flowed through every time it rained.

Garage 2.png

The roof had fallen in, various animals had moved in and I wouldn’t put a sack of potatoes in there, let alone a guest!

Garage 2009.png

And here was that rear garden of ours.

P1010567.JPG

By 2012 Airbnb was just getting off the ground here, it was a vague curio, a bit  like brains and walnut sandwiches…something we had heard about, but were not sure we really wanted to try!

On the limited budget I had left, I put the effort in. Sometimes I would spend a couple days to a week doing something and then one night in bed calmly resolve to pull it all down again because, I maybe could have done it a bit better!

Was it worth it?

It has been worth it 232 times over and growing!

Guests 3.png

I feel really lucky that, like brains and walnut sandwiches I decided to give Airbnb a try. At times the company drives me bloody mad, but my many journeys on the Airbnb Ocean have been journeys of discovery and they have given the latter years of this ol’codger’s life a sense of purpose and filled with many nice memories!

Thanks Airbnb

IMG20181118191231.jpg

43 Replies 43
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen427

Ah Helen....you need to consult your Google Maps!!

One Tree Hill Sth Aust.png

Of the places Cathie mentioned Helen , this map will put our comments in perspective!

1/......Gawler

2/.....One Tree Hill

3/.....Hahnforf

4/.....Our location in Mt Barker

So Aukland and USA....move aside!

Cheers.....Rob

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Robin4@Elsa64@Huma0@Cathie19@Jeet0@j Renato@Clara@Fred@Rebecca@Lizzie@Quincy and @everyone -else

Mooving along, Eat your heart out @Robin4 this is THE One Tree Hill, with 360 degree views across the region, that Bono and U2 based the song One Tree Hill on...and that Cows, Calves, Steers and Heifers, Ewes, Rams and Lambs rule the views and are guardians of 24/7 that is the best attraction.

One Tree Hill was used as a hugely successfulTourism Promotion of Auckland, New Zealand in around 1990..that Airbnb users must include in there itinerary - as well as the one near @Robin Mount Barker of course..

On that note, perhaps we should have a separate topic expressly for stories for those who in live in Locations named the same but in different locations of the world..

How many One Tree Hills are there as an example?

Where are they all?

What are the key attractions in those One Tree Hill locations?

That would be a fun travelling experience to venture on..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/One+Tree+Hill/@-36.8999982,174.7658237,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1...

Calf on One Tree Hll, Auckland with Obelisk in the middle backgroundCalf on One Tree Hll, Auckland with Obelisk in the middle backgroundMoov over @Robin ,we have cows, calves, sheep on One Tree HillMoov over @Robin ,we have cows, calves, sheep on One Tree HillSheep and Lambs reign on One Tree Hill, AucklandSheep and Lambs reign on One Tree Hill, Auckland

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen427

Oh Helen, see, there you go, all these other interlopers have lost the simplicity, the subtlety of being.....One Tree Hill!

I think ours has much more to offer...there is a certian genuineness about that the rest of you have lost!

IMG20170813101931.jpg

Cheers......Rob

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Robin4, Nice photo 

Some criminal activist cut down our Lone Tree on One Tree Hill in October 2000, only to have a cluster of trees now that obstruct some of our views across the City.

They are also trying to get away with permanently removing exotic species from our other Tourist spots across NZ which is a failing to acknowldege and include the European people's Cultural contributions, our economic betterment and Laws of the Land!

Much to my embarassment uneducated ones (Council authorities & arborists)  have been cutting down our Trees that are Living Memorials for whatever reason, frequently purpose planted on our Auckland Volcanic Domains for those who served in Wars or contributed to society, or settled in those regions in very harsh conditions we will never ever experience.

Sadly that includes Pine Trees and the beautiful  yellow flowering Australian Wattles which are one of your Australian emblems, regularly worn by Her Majesty the Queen, that were planted for a purpose - those who lost lives.

The most recent desecration is the removal of the Russell Lupins in the MacKenzie country, South Island, created and planted in  late 1930 -40's, Wartime and World Wide Depression era - no commonsense cross referencing seems to be done here.

No thought is given to the disruption of the wider ecological systems which include living creatures in the soil, plants and the like that some of us understand the importance of why we are all here together.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12055533

Pine trees being removed on Auckland volcanic cone to create native bush
21 May, 2018 11:01am
2 minutes to read

0:07
/
0:18

Helicopters are removing pine trees from Mount Wellington, to make way for native bush. / Supplied by Kaye Jamieson

@Robin4

HAHAHAHA djeeeez Louise!! @Robin4 🤣🤣😂😂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19

Oh bugger, surely you can still come here for a quick bite and a catch up....even a morning coffee!

I so hate it when a superhost passes me by. Bookings are bloody relentless here but, surely an hour here is not out of the question! I would so love to meet you guys.

But I understand if it cannot be! just another of lifes little treasures that has passed me by!!!.....:-((

Cheers.....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4

As always, I'm so impressed with what you have done with the cottage (as well as with your hosting). I feel like a bit of a kindred spirit, because I bought my place in 2009 and it was a mess. You, however, have been doing almost everything yourself, whereas I have had help (or quite often hindrance) from builders, plumbers, electricians and the like, and am STILL NOT FINISHED!!!

That's quite the achievement. Kudos to you!

Elsa64
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely amazing job!!! you must be so proud of yourself. Congratulations 

Just saying ....  😉

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What a lovely story. You must be so proud, looking back now.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dieneke0

Thanks Dieneke, yes I am,  but more so I am looking forward to what is to come. I have such grand plans for this property. I am setting myself a deadline of completing 1 room per season....one room every three months. The first is the main bathroom which I am into at present. It is going to be an amazing room and like the cottage I will be proud of it. In two years I should have this property just the way I want it but.......Dieneke, I don't want it to end!

As I opened up this thread, I need a challenge!

Cheers.....Rob

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4  - isn't that nice. There are always more things to do.. it certainly is a challenge.

Best

Dieneke

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 

isn't that nice. There are always more things to do.. it certainly is a challenge.

Best

Dieneke

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 

yes it is great to have challenges - there always are more challenges, so it shouldn't end... 

Good luck

Dieneke

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 Sorry, I thought that the reply had not gone through, but it did... 

Best

Dieneke