Guests not reading the directions... how frustrating!!!

Tom18
Level 4
Venice, Italy

Guests not reading the directions... how frustrating!!!

I am hosting on Airbnb since 4 years and the biggest bug is not in Airbnb, it's in the guests!

I put plently of infos in the House Manual, House Rules and Directions fields, so that the guests will receive it automatically when they book.

I think, they will get it in their Apps and in the My Trips sections of the website, so it will be more confortable for them to have those infos when traveling.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT GUESTS DON'T READ IT!

(sorry my caps but I am quite frustrated, I told to the Airbnb customer care plenty of times and they never listened me!)

At least 50% of times people don't read it! And don't find it... they find just the address and they come using Google maps!!!

Very often I send them a message giving them the link to 

https://www.airbnb.com/reservation/itinerary?code=XXXXXX

and still often they can't find the info in the page or they click the link and don't open it. :((((

I think it will be VERY VERY NECESSARY that, in the moment that the reservation get confirmed, the Directions, the House Manual and the House Rules get copied AUTOMATICALLY inside the message thread between host and guest.

Like a system message from Airbnb!

Something like:

Reservation confirmed!

Address: ...........

Directions: ................

House Manual: ...............

House Rules: ...............

What do you think?

I talked several times to Airbnb customer care and they theoretically forwarded the message to someone... but nothing happened.

And instead I think it will be a great fix!!

Happy hosting everybody!

Tom

26 Replies 26

And you honestly think that guest who do not read a short description of your appartement would read a mile long mail from AirBnb?

You really think so?

Really???

I just think that, when they are looking for directions, they don't know where to look.

They usually read all that's written in the Conversation Thread.

That's why you are right, they don't read the Booking Confirmation Email, that's why those infos are to be put also in the Conversation Thread.

@Tom18

Before arrival I ask guests if they need directions or if they are ok using google maps.  If the answer is positive, I send a google maps link with descriptions/landmarks to look out for to their private mail through airbnb.  I try and keep info as short and consise as possible. Never failed so far.  

Jeesh, I'm emailing now with an inquirer who doesn't even read the two line email I just sent! Airbnb blocks out phone numbers, so no, I can't call her (and don't want to). I've told her that twice now and suggested she scroll down in the email and see where her number has been replaced with NUMBER BLOCKED, for heaven's sake. This is the same person I just told that she can't reserve for someone else, her grown son has to do it himself. 

Grown! And mommy is pestering me!

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Why do you care which route they take to get to your place? Whether they follow your directions, or use Google maps, or take the scenic route, why does it matter?

It matters because I live in a city where they have to use public transport, they can't just put the address in GPS and drive.

And matters because I manage several listings and I can't wait people for hours, while they are getting frustrated.

Then they came late, frustrated, they think the listing is not in a good location just because Google Maps don't have street numbers (very common in Venice) and they make me late to other check-ins or to my work.

That's what the Directions are designed for, for the host to tell the easiest way to arrive.

Hi @Tom18,

Hardly takes some time to copy paste the directions in the message thread and send to the guests a day prior to their arrival.

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Hi @Tom18,

I can totally relate to this matter. Guests tend to inform themselves when and how they want and need it. Even if your description includes all the information, links ETC, guests will ask  regardless because:

1.) They don't know that the information was presented to them

2.) They didn't take the time to read, however demand the information when it suits them

3.) They don't care at all, they just demand to have it served, it's easier when a host does the work again, rather than taking some time to look up the information themselves 

Summary

In all cases, all these guests could be labeled ignorant and careless

Wherever you go, there you are.
Laura77
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

@Tom18 so after i get them there... i have a laminated instruction manual with ALL the information AGAIN in the room.  Don't worry sometimes they don't find that either 🙂 

sometimes they admit to seeing the instructions but ignoring them... what can you do? people are like that. if they run late get a lock box with the keys inside, if the places are self contained that makes life easier and they can arrive when the like. as for the other instructions... well you can lead a horse to water... 

@Laura77  @Tom18

Some guests are simply clueless whatever you do and I suppose the maze that makes up Venezia does not make it any easier.

@Marit-Anne0 @Tom18

this is true Marit, but mostly they are charming and lovely. i suppose we host so very much (i have three rooms so can have up to 6 people in my house a day) that the numbers are always good when the final tally is drawn. Sydney is much easier than Venice to navigate however... 🙂

We have noticed that more guests are skipping over the details about what exactly they are booking, the address, and the particulars that are either in our listings or in our communications.  There are a number of reasons for this.  Airbnb's guests' profiles have changed as Airbnb has grown.  Now there are more guests who see this simply an inexpensive lodging option and a financial transaction, rather than as an alternative travel opportunity that works differenlty than a hotel, motel, or inn.  Fewer guests treat it like a visit to someone's home.  Another thing that has happened is that more and more guests manage their transactions on their mobile phones or through their choice social site like facebook and don't see all of the information or all of the content of the messages.  And finally, as Airbnb has grown, so has it's reach globally, and so there are language challenges.  As maddening as this all is, as hosts we are trying to adjust our approach.  We often ask our would-be guests what device they are using so we can be sure the guests are seeing all of the information they need.  We require our guests to give us their arrival time for check-in and make it clear that without this information, they may not be able to gain access to place they have reserved.  In as gentle a way as we can, we do not give up control of the transaction.  We are not a cheap hotel; we are an Airbnb listing.  So far, though sometimes it is more work, we have continued to have a good experience. 

I have had the same problem. So, I created a short message that I send to my guests a few days before their arrival. See below. This is even easier now that AirBnB allows you to save a frequently used message. Try it out, it's great!

"

Thanks for choosing a Timberline Pines cabin for your upcoming holiday.

The key box code will be: 

To open the box dial or punch in code and slide black button down. The box will open and the key is inside. We recommend that you return the key to the box so as not to get locked out.

Please be sure to print the directions from your AirBnB itinerary as not all phone GPS will work here.

The cabin has a binder with specific information about various systems. Most of your questions can be answered there. However, don’t hesitate to contact us if you have ANY questions or need anything. 

Thanks, 

Kim & Paul"

Thanks for all advices.

Unfortunately I can't use a Key box, the law here obliges us to indentify the guest and sign a brief contract, it's like a hotel check-in more or less.

What I don't undestand is why Airbnb doesn't put in place a system to copy automatically in the message thread (they read there!!!) all the infos that are in the Confirmation Email (that nobody reads).

Is that a choice or what?

I think it would improve things A LOT.