Guests who don't read the description and then mark us down on the Accuracy score

Ingrid55
Level 3
Taree, Australia

Guests who don't read the description and then mark us down on the Accuracy score

Hi Fellow AirBNB Hosts,

This is the first time I've ever had cause to comment here... 

We recently had a couple stay in our Private Room (in our home) who clearly did not read the description.  Turns out they thought were getting our entire home (they are first time AirBNB users) for $64 AUD per night... yeah, right!  

They raved about how wonderful we were during the stay... but obviously this was not what they had hoped for.  

Anyhow, the description we have for the room is very clear in that it states they have an ensuite toilet with washbasin attached to their private room (and it is private), but for the shower they need to use our second bathroom (which is shared with us).  We also say we don't have a TV in the room, BUT we have high speed internet which allows any of our guests to stream movies or whatever on their iPads or tablets (all in the description).  

I am really cross because they commented on our accuracy based on the shared shower room and no TV.  I was flawed, and really quite annoyed. 

I have now changed the description so that now written in UPPER CASE is a request to 'please read the description...'  

In the scheme of things, I guess it's just a small hiccup, but it is really annoying when, for $64, these guests receive a really lovely space complete with a lovely breakfast, and the invitation to use anything they wish...  

We are trying to achieve SuperHost status, and issues like this where they don't read the description just doesn't help.

Does anyone else run into issues like this, and if so, how do you deal with them?

Ingrid

34 Replies 34

Thanks Paul. Very professional way of pointing out the details. You are very experienced.  

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Ingrid55,

When the people write to me to book, I reiterate everything!

I say something like this:

Jane, look forward to having you.  You do understand that we have two rescue terriers who will enthusiastically greet you when you arrive with yips and yelps.  I can settle them down within a few minutes provided they like the treats I offer that day.  Also, there are no drapes in the room so you will be greeted by the morning sun.  Our setting is so private that I never saw the need for blocking nature out.

I'll pre-approve your request but wanted to be sure we were on the same page over the doggies and the sunrise.  🙂

There.   Just like that, Ingrid, I send it out.  Works like a charm!

I only point out those two things as those are the two things that may bother someone.  Tweak a message to suit your needs and repeat, repeat, repeat.  I swear, as hosts, we can't overcommunicate enough!

These are very helpful suggestions. 

Airbnb is so nice for renters and homeowners but Airbnb community members are so caring and thoughtful.  I'm learning a lot from all of you. Thanks. 

This is a whole new world for my wife and I, I find different people find the most bizarre things to comment on I generally find peoples feed back more of a reflection of their personality rather than their actual stay.

We find some people seem almost jelous of what we have and are doing they seem to force them selves to find something so minor to winge or comment about to the point  I feel more  embarressed for them. Like gee you dont get out much or clearly dont have much in life to understand the value ,expense and just what is  involved in providing what we offer. 

We have a half million dollar unit with body corp fees. ac/ heating through out a $20,000 jakuzzi which has been  kept to a lovely 39 degrees consistly  unlimited internet netflix foxtel.

We keep all towels, linin, bedding, & furniture in brand new condition we charge as little as $130 per night for up to 7 people supplying 2 towels per person 1 face washer per person soap hand wash body wash shampoo conditioner more toilet paper than one could imagine any group using in the booking period,

Tea coffee milk butter sauces to many condiments to list and we still have people giving 4 stars for value which some may say is still good but I would like to see where you would get better value The 2 star motels that the prostitutes and crack heads hire in our town charge more per night.  Then 4 stars on location also gets me, we detail our exact location distance and times to locations airial photos of the building and location, photos of the external building special things  to note clearly state you must climb stairs to our 3rd floor and is no lift even the exact amount of stairs then we get complaints of inaccuracy  after that there was no lift or further than expected from certain venues like we are being  punished for them not reading the add or them making an uninformed decission.

Have even found some close minded judgemental twats take one look at me on arrival and decide then and there no matter how nice and accomodating we are they cant force them selves to not have to find something to pick at Im a 120 kg heavily tattooed guy but really just a gentle giant and most see that in me instantly.

I have two trade qualifications a diploma in Horticulture / permiculture hevily involved in coastal engineering and land rejuvination and am now mid way through my psychology degree. A little off subject but as first mentioned a new world for me and judgemental first impressions define who they are not who I am.

Just a bit of a learning curve As I have always been hands on in feild work not hospitality dealing with ungreatful cheap skates looking for caviar on a bread and baked bean budget. In saying that we know quality and value in acomodation as we Have travelled the world from back packing to 6 star accomodation,  and trust me ive had worse 6 star experiences at nearly ten times the cost.

We also own numerous rental properties short and long term and uni / boarding style accomodation hence why we ventured in the Air BNB world .  Now 8 months into having  our listing and acheiving  super hosts status by the 3rd month we are doing well filling basically every weekend 2 to 3  months in advance all school holidays booked out up to six months in advance and filling week days  closer to the booking dates only having a few empty days per month.

long story short most people are awesome and greatly respect and appreciate the effort and costs involved and is an amazing experience, but a small few are just arsehats and comments are more personal than professional i have found I wear a valid negative on the chin but unfair rating and comments can be disheartening for one and damaging to ones listing. my apologies for the rant and thank you if you took the time to read my comment 

@Ingrid55 - we also only rent a room and have gotten keen at spotting the people who think they are getting a whole house.  They use words like "house", "condo", "cottage", etc.  things that mean the entire property. When they use this type of language, I respond with "Please note that this is a rental for our guest room and a private en suite bath.  You will be sharing the property with us."  9 times out of 10 they say, "Oh, sorry, I thought it was the whole place."  Then I follow up with "Not a problem. If you only want to rent entire, private locations, you need to search for Entire Home."  That way I feel like they won't waste the next host's time.  

But even still, some people are so busy worrying about other things that they don't even notice the real listing details.  My favorite was the guest who wanted to bring their dog for the weekend of their son's wedding.  I asked  a lot of questions about the dog and where was the dog going to be staying the day of the wedding (we don't dog-sit).  He kept saying the dog would be with them.  At a wedding?  So finally I said, "This rental is for a shared home.  We will be here the entire weekend."  Only then did he bail.  Not only did the guy not realize, but he was trying to lie about the dog.  

To maybe give you another solution, like @Wendy-and-Frank0's, you could respond with a follow up question like: "While you're here, we'd like to coordinate shower times since there is one shared shower.  Do you prefer to shower first thing in the morning or at night before bed? "  

Carmelita-and-Bernard0
Level 1
Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands

I have an apartment with 2  Private rooms and shared kitchen, bathroom and sitting area. I have had some guest who said " I didn't know I was sharing". I will certainly use the suggestions here. 

My recent challenge is how to recieve a new guest for the second private room while an existing guest is using the space. For instance,  what is how do you go in and clean around the existing people who's stuff is every where?  Do you try to introduce them? And here is a biggy;  Do you try to rent only to women or only to men or do you mix it up?   I recently stayed at an Air bnb private room in Detroit, MI. USA where I shared a lovely apartment with a host who used signage in the form of little notes posted in the bathroom the kitchen cabinets and other places.  The notes were framed and on decorative paper .  Some of them were helpful info and some were stern recommendation on how to cooperatively use the space.

Airbnb is so great because it does allow the opportunity that 

Carmelita and Bernard can offer - inexpensive private bedrooms in the Virgin Isles.

For this opportunity many people are willing to shared the other spaces in the house.

If you are not staying at the house, it obviously takes more thought, which you obviously you are doing.

First thing first - relax. You are providing a service and giving choices to travelers

People who make a booking with you are adults - they know how to take care of themselves and choose accordingly.

You don't have to worry about mixing the sexes, if people really care, they will ask you. 

There are some tricks to ease problems that come with sharing a bathroom and kitchen.

A smaller bathroom with NO counters, towel bars and no hooks encourages guests to bring their belongings back to their room.

A kitchen with no stove and oven minimizes cooking mess.

Small individual refrigerators are better than one big shared one.

Remind guests that belongings in the shared space becomes an invitation to share or move those belongings.

As for taking care of your guests, do emphasize the living situation during booking. Do introduce the guests to each other or humanize them some way. 

And emphasize that they have signed up for an Airbnb adventure

Good luck

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

I had a couple show up and the husbamd asked me where I stay when guests are here. I happened to be turning away from him as he asked the question and I knew he thought he and his wife had the place to themselves.  And without looking at him, I calmly pointed up the steps and said my bedroom is right up there.  And then proceeded to take them down the guestroom. We got along just fine.  In my review he mentioned how he was surprised that I was going to be there but that I made it very comfortable for them and they had a great time.

If I think the person does not realize I live here, or I do not want them to book, I mention how I  will be around all the time and able to answer questions. Home all weekend in fact.  I will be happy to share my home and will be very quiet in the morning so as to not  disturb them if they feel like sleeping in, I know I like to sleep in sometimes. Etc. Very effective.

I recently had a guy who was a host ask me all kinds of questions like: where exactly are you?  What is a moderate cancelation policy?  He had an agency running his properties and knew nothing!  I even made comments abouit being home and he booked.  I knew he was confused  so I waited for the follow up.  And 20 minutes later I get a message asking me if this was a private room or whole house? I said I LIVE HERE.  He apologized and canceled right away because he intended to party.

@Jennifer178 - that was EXACTLY the question I was asked by this couple... and I said very similar to what you did.  I realised at that point that they had the 'wrong end of the stick'.  

From now on I will make sure people understand what they've booked as soon as their booking is made.  

Thanks for your message... I am glad it's not just me this happens to!!!

Have a good evening 🙂

Ingrid

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The listing type is a private bedroom, right?

Hi @Farah1, was that a joke?  If so, funny.  If not, you have proven our point.

@Jennifer178 I'm not proving anything. I was on my phone and opened it through the browser (did not see the listing yet) when I asked the question and that's just an honest question. It seems like she is not the only one who has this issue, so I'm just asking everybody who has this issue. + there is a possibility that since suggestions been coming in, the listings have been updated. The purpose of this group is to help each other, not sure why you need to respond to my question that way.

If you had read the original post you would see that the issue is that guests do not read the listing and then are surprised when they find out it is a private room and not a whole house listing.  Everyone posting have been talking about similar situations because we all rent rooms in our homes, not the whole home.  Hence, why I said  what I said.  All listings say either entire home, private room or shared space no matter how the host names their site.  No matter what info a host adds to their listing, it does not change the fact that the type of accomodation is always stated because Airbnb puts it there. I truly thought you were being funny based on the facts of the conversation. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jennifer178 and @Farah1,

I hope you are both good. I just wanted to step in here as I think there has been a little bit of a misunderstanding between the two of you, lets not dwell on this and lets keep things constructive, as it is easily done. 🙂 

Going back to @Ingrid55's original question, are there any more suggestions on how she could make it clearer that she is listing a private room?

Thank you both.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Ingrid55

Looks like you've added the suggestions about the shared spaces, and the title as well as the short description are clear as a bell.

My feeling is that many potential guests send out multiple inquiries and then forget what details belong where. And, as we all know, in the times of Pinterest and Instagram they often don't read and only react to pics. The wishful thinking blind spot!!

I only rent a private room too, but I don't use IB, so when a guest doesn't mention "room" in their inquiry or request, or if they mention they love my apartment, I'll be sure to respond something about booking the ROOM in my apartment. Experience has also made me wise to ask before accepting requests about whether they've read my description as regards to what I can/cannot offer because all private host rooms are different.  I'll mention to note esp. the steep stairs (I'll help with luggage) and my working times from home in the description. I tell them I don't want them to lose their booking fees in case they'd missed something and it wasn't what they thought they were getting.

That way they have to say yeah sure, no problem or they re-think the booking. That also makes them aware of what they booked regarding the later review, and my reminding has worked wonders. I now never simply accept, except for the maybe 5% that mention in their first booking 'I've read your description and House rules..."

With Instant Book on, there is a message that pops up before the booking goes through. You could use that to get their attention that it's a room in your home and any other 'week spot' (stairs, pet, other) that guests have been prone to overlook.