Has any host has ever had an enquiry that made them feel like this person was stupid?

Has any host has ever had an enquiry that made them feel like this person was stupid?

Was wondering if there were hosts out there that received an enquiry and it came out as a list of questions which I don't mind if it helped clarified their questions but the one I received was.......well made me feel like he was stupid. I want to say sorry that was a bit mean, but I can't help it. I really think it is so stupid.

So I answered his question all of them and answered as well stating , "if you read my description throughly it would have answered your questions ...",  his response was thanking me for answering SOME of this questions. I answered to all them.

Again , my head started doing a little monologue to myself, stupid!!

One of his questions was do I speak english? (I live in an english speaking country and all my description are in english and so are my feedbacks, I failed to see how two and two wasn't worked out)

Does the place have a view of this place...?? (my place is not in the vincinty of that place and there is no pictures to provide evidence that it did, I fail to see how he would assume my place would when there is no indication there is such a view)

Is anyone staying in the apartment? (face palm, when a guest asks a question that already is very clear)

Is there any supermarket nearby? (again rolling my eyes, PLEASE READ THE LISTING with all the god **bleep** information on it)

How far is the nearest vegetarian restaurant? ( I don't know, sometimes you got to find out things for yourself)

Maybe I'm too harsh, but the last time I had an instinct how stupid the guest was (trust me he was, he manage to knock on the wrong door after buzzing on the right number, and failed to check out on time even with instructions) he caused me so much problems by moving everything in the house and my instincts is telling me , this one is a trouble maker if he is already so fussy about asking stupid questions. 

Want a place with a view, find a place that shows that and dont' be stingy with the money you got to pay. If you want to be a cheap skate and give me hassle ,please do not apply.

106 Replies 106
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Lol I did went though this my response was ok you know best is always good to learn believe me you really do learn they are out there

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Yes--I"ll take all guests like the other host said--smart or stupid. It's all money to me.  My latest favorite was a host I had as a guest while her 'luxury' condo was being rented for the weekend.  She had this list of things she found wrong with my little simple room...one of which was the fridge didn't work.  I went in and checked on it.  Well, of course it didn't work, IT WASN'T PLUGGED IN.  I plugged it in and it worked just great...so even a fellow host can be not-so-smart lol.

Thing is, we will get all kinds.  Dumb doesn't mean a bad guest, it just means he might require a bit more patience than a smarter one. Most people don't mean to be dumb and annoying, they just naturally cannot help themselves.  I always tell myself:  they will be checking out soon and I will never have to hear from them again.  That helps me keep my sanity.

@Joanna85

I wish I had your bravery, but I can't maybe because I have been tramatised by my first guest who used my place as a drug den and I had the cops arresting them after xmas day. 

The clean up with the worst thing I had to deal with as it was Xmas and I had another guests moving it pretty soon, so everything was so stressful. $7000 worth of damages and to replace.

I promised myself never to go through that again.

Jim-And-Janet0
Level 1
Charlottesville, VA

Thank you for making me laugh so hard!

NO ONE reads anything anymore.  99% of my guests questions could be answered by opening their eyes.

@Jim-And-Janet0

How do you cope???

No I need some booze to just process this, I still can't get over the do I speak english question.

Peter71
Level 2
Providence, RI

I've gotten several requests recently for the address of my place after the reservation was confirmed.  The people turn out not to be stupid, but are they just lazy, or is the app weird in some phones which makes it hard to find obvious stuff?

David1569
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Disrespectful question, brah.

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

As hosts we can live longer and happier lives by not being so reactive. Better to be less harsh in our thoughts and actions. Seek to understand. 

@Jim-and-Marcia0

I have been not reactive to previous ones, but I think the do I speak english was the nail bitter. I cracked under that one.

Monica431
Level 2
Montesano, WA

I stumbled across this and I am laughing so hard! I often get the really crazies asking really dumbassery questions lol. - Do you live there? (well it does state you are in my home not a hotel) I am just going to crash on your couch, my mom wants the bed to herself (no, no your not) I love the questions though it makes for great conversations with my friends, with a glass of wine. 

@Monica431

It is for mine as well, but my friends really do wonder if my stories are true , till I show them the messages, they go wtf??

This is for real. 

I sadly respond yes it is.

Hannah104
Level 3
Fullerton, CA

Urgh, yes! I try and troubleshoot this as much as possible by keeping a notes file of FAQs so I can just copy and paste when someone is too lazy to read the description. I also keep a binder in the room full of all info a guest could possibly need about the house and local area but every now and then there’s a guest who is completely helpless.

My recent favourite was a lady who asked for the room to be extra clean due to allergies. No problem, I reply...but then she demands an earlier check in leaving me just 30mins to clean up after the previous guest has checked out. Panic stations are go and I manage to rope in my 4 reluctant housemates to do a deep clean with natural cleaners in record speed. After she arrived, I received frantic messages about how to turn the AC colder (instructions are in the binder but I relay all the information anyway) and naively think all is well...until I get a very upset message the next morning asking for multiple additional blankets (in the closet...in the room...), as she was far too cold. KINDLY TURN THE AC OFF PLEASE MADAM! Sigh.

There’s just no pleasing some people no matter how very hard you try.

AND shout out to whoever mentioned about your location being poorly reviewed. That happened to me quite recently with absolutely no useful feedback from the guest about why he reviewed my locale so poorly. I'm really transparent about where my listing is in relation to the wider area, so this completely infuriated me! Gimme those stars - I earned them and can't physically move my house! Why this has a star rating is totally beyond me, location is such a subjective thing and the guests can check the map in any case. If my location isn't what you want, book somewhere closer!

Rant over. Thank you for listening.

@Hannah104

So true , sometimes you can't please everyone no matter how much you comply but I come to the point where I don't bend over backwards so much to their wishes. If someone complains this or that, I always say you are welcome to find another place, but please be aware of the strict cancellation policy. Had guest once complain the dvd player wasn't working, it was, it just didn't play all the different country coded dvds, so I got her a replacement but she requested for compensation. 

I had to respond, you asking for compensation because dvd wasn't working or because it wasn't new? 

No response.

Some time ago an inquirer mentioned an equestrian event that was in Queensland although we are in Western Australia. The guest thanked me for the information and cancelled. Looking at the Airbnb site, there was our site nestled amongst the Queensland sites of the same name. Messaged Airbnb and asked if they could include us in the correct state and it was done promptly.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Hannah104you aced it with the AC story. A true classic. At least she didn't ask for an electric blanket because she was now freezing,

(P.S. I would put a limiter (i.e. a screw) on the dial so they can't go too far.)