How do I handle guests with unrealistic expectations?

Maxine22
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

How do I handle guests with unrealistic expectations?

I had 2 female guests whom "I felt" had unrealistic expectations.  I'd like feedback from other hosts on this situation, basically to determine if maybe I'm the problem, or if they did indeed have unrealistic expectations, if so, how should I have handled it, or how can I handle it next time?

They wanted the furnace turned on (in July).  My listing is a self contained studio apartment (above ground walkout basement) in a large two storey house.  My husband and I live in the house upstairs.  There is a second studio apt in the basement also.  The AC is turned on in the home from June to Sep, and furnace from Sep to May.  If I turned off the AC and turn on furnace everyone else in the home is negatively affected (because they want and expect AC in summer, not furnace).  The guests said "is heat not provided?"  I said "Yes in winter, and AC is proivided in summer".  I personally carry a cardigan sweater with me always in summer when I go to the shopping mall or to restaurants because I find AC too cold for me.  But I never ask or expect public places to turn on the furnace or turn down AC to accomodate ME, since I'm just one person out of thousands who expect and want AC in summer.  Should I feel obligated in this situation to provide a portable heater, or not?  How would you handle this?

Secondly, a few days after check-in they asked for a supploy of plastic cups and straws.  I have no idea what they needed them for, didn't ask.  I responded by saying this is not included, that I don't have any, and that they have a fully equipped kitchen with regular glasses and mugs, etc for use.  Would you feel an obligation in this situation to accomodate and run out and get plastic glasses and straws for them, or just say NO, and leave it at that and risk getting a bad review?

Thirdly, they complained that there were mosquitos in the apartment.  They said they weren't at home so asked if I could go and take a look, I did.  I did not see any live ones, saw a couple of dead ones near the door.  The house backs onto a fully treed ravine, and because I'm surrounded by trees it is impossible not to have mosquitos from time to time.  What I did see in the apartment when I went there was food on the coffee table, left over pizza and an opened package of garlic sauce.  I explained to them that leaving opened food around like this will certainly attract mosquitos, and that a reasonable level of cleanliness is expected, and that they should remove organic matter (food waste, etc) from the apt on a daily basis to prevent smells and mosquitos, etc.  And I left a bug spray for them.  I also offered to have my husband go once a day and spray for them at a time that was convenient to them, they declined.

Then they asked for paper towels and more toilet tissue.  They were given a package of 8 rolls of toilet tissue, for two people, and used it all in 5 days.  Is this an excessive amount of toilet tissue to be using?  My hubby and I don't use that much toilet tissue.  What is a reasonable amount?  And I explained to them that paper towels are not provided, it's not a neccessity, and there are regular (washable) hand towels in the kitchen for use (and they have access to the laundry room).

How do I deal with someone who has unrealistic expectations?  How would you handle those situations?  I'm fairly new to hosting and would like a better understanding of what's expected of me and how to handle difficult guests.  I'm assuming asking someone to leave if they're not happy is not an option.  But caving in to every possible demand and request of someone like this is also not reasonable.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

19 Replies 19
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Okay, so your question is a long one - but well defined... so here I go. @farah would be a great help here as she has multiple people staying in both her own home and an apartment so would be a good person to get involved. So would @Huma0, as she has several guests at a time and can possibly give some good hints. 

You are in Canada. I don't know the temperatures there at night, however, I would not assume worldwide travelers should be limited to your temperature whims (not being negative, but that is what your rules regarding A/C or Heat only applying to certain months of a calendar *are*.) Are these rules for June-Sept/Sept-May in your house rules for them to agree to prior to booking? If so, fine. If not, then the guest is being relistic BECAUSE it's advertised as a studio and not an en-suite or something. The guest needs to know it does not have a separate A/C-Heat - that it is shared w/the house. Most studios are self-contained - in that they don't need to conform to other people's temperature whims.

We are lucky. We use Ecobee thermostats. We set it to Heat/Cool according to temperature - and not per the month of the year. After 73 the A/C kicks on, below 64 the heat kicks in. Above 65% humidity the dehumidifier kicks in. However again, we are in the Bay Area where - if you don't like the weather, you go across town because there is another micro-climate. Weather changes often and fast here...so it's easier to have the Ecobee do it. My opinion? Your example of going to a mall or restaurant does not apply. You are not paying to walk into the entrance BUT they did not pay in advance for somewhere to sleep. Yes, provide a space heater. They are $30. Put it in the bedroom closet and only tell people it's there if they say they are cold. Target sells a really good Honeywell for $29 (UPC code: 092926593605) and it doesn't use very much power (I know, we have this for my mother-in-law's room when she stays). It's also safe and blows warm (not hot) air out 360 degrees in a circle. So having said that...

NO, DO NOT make a trip for cups & straws. They can go get them if they want them. Do not go get ANYthing that is not normally in your unit. If they were no towels in the bathroom and you had none, yes, go buy them. Cups/Straws NEVER.

Did you mention that you are very close to a ravine and are in a natural setting in your listing? I would assume you would mention the ravine because I would assume having trees and a ravine that close would be selling point. It must be beautiful. You are NOT responsible for a few mosquitos. It's JUNE! Yes there would be mosquitos!

Toilet tissue...what can I say? That is a consumable. I would mention to them when I refilled it (in a passive agressive way) "I usually leave 8 rolls in here for weekly guests... refilling must have slipped my mind this time. I'm sorry" They will get the point and you can vent a bit in a constructive, hinting way.

You seem to worry about how to handle things that are not really handle-able. Combined - in your post - you have things that a guest expects that are unrealistic...you are being a bit unrealistic wrt to the A/C/Heat. Use this as a learning experience. Providing a guest with a heater is an inexpensive solution and one that is appreciated. Hold your ground with other things. They didn't ask you to go buy the cups/straws. They simply asked for them. Not every request needs to be honored.

@Jann3 I think we have some telepathy skill or something, lol. I believe I was typing my response the same time as you.

@Maxine22 I agree with the answer from @Jann3 . If I can add a little more suggestion is that you can update your listing more thoroughly to ensure that future guests will have better expectations. Difficult people will always be difficult, but at least you already do your best. One more thing that is very important does not let this type of guest stress you out.. they are out there and there is a possibility there will be more in the future (sad, but true). So, having a clear boundary, firm rules, thorough listing and set the best expectation you can get can be helpful for the future. Best wishes!

Well, I *am* heading to Seattle on Thursday. I must have you on my mind.

BTW: I would've rented your place (one of them) but it's a wedding and we have to stay in a "Holiday Inn Express" with the wedding party...in EVERETT no less! Ugh!

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Maxine22 this guest is the classic difficult, selfish, demanding guest. I recently had one similar to this. She came from Las Vegas which is REALLY HOT in the summer. I live in Seattle which is way cooler in the summer. On her 2nd day she asked for a fan because she said it was TOO HOT (in Seattle, about 14 degrees at night) even with the window opened. I got her a fan because I thought it would be handy if at some point we need it too (I doubt it). Then after that, it is just requesting this and that and it was definitely not a pleasant experience to host her. It was about her her her and her all the time and she did not care whether her request was inappropriate or not nice. So, after the fan, I did not entertain her other request that was clearly not on the listing such as a lock for the bedroom door, bringing a visitor over, etc. Also, the next day (after she got the fan) she said that it was cold that day that she brought a sweater with her.... *I am speechless*.

So, I understand that it can get a bit frustrated to host this type of guest.

For the plastic cups, I personally don't think you need to get them that as it is not offered in the listing. If they want something in particular like that, it is their responsibility to get the supplies themselves. For more tissues, is there a chance they are using it to clean makeup? For the paper towel, if it is not offered in the listing, you are not obligated to get it if you don't want to.

My best suggestion is to keep all conversations within the airbnb messaging system and reply professionally. Also, make sure to keep a clear boundary to ensure they are not taking advantage of you and that you cannot entertain every request they have especially if it is unrealistic. I would also check-in on them using the messaging system to see if they are having a good stay to show that you do care, but it is just not possible to meet all the demands.

Regarding the bad review, yes they might leave you a bad review... however, there is no guarantee that they will not leave a bad review even after you meet all of their demands, so why would you suffer if the chance still 50/50?

Told ya @Farah1 would be a good one to ask! She posted an answer RIGHT after I said she'd be a good person to ask - and you see something else: She and I didn't agree wrt to the heater. BUT we do agree on many other things. Different hosts, different opinions. That's what great about the forums here. 

@Jann3 regarding the heater, I think it depends on what the *real* situation is. I agree with your point depending on what is the temperature at @Maxine22 's city. I think I am looking at it from the perspective of the guest just being difficult like the ones I had in the past.

in the fall, 1 guest said it was cold and the heater was already at almost 70, BUT she barely had any clothes on... I don't care what clothes she wanted to wear (but you would think you don't dress like you are on the Caribbean island when you are in Seattle)...

And this recent one who came from Las Vegas in the summer saying Seattle was hot, asked for a fan, then the next day said that it was cold. Temperature between those 2 days was similar...

So, yes there are 2 sides, it might be needed for you to adjust @Maxine22 , but there is also a possibility that the guest is a difficult demanding one.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My rules.

Most people are resonable and assuming they are I can be quite flexible.

Some people are not and in the past I have bent over backwards and found they keep pushing so I no longer do that.

As soon as I detect it is going to be difficult then I stick to my rules and no budging, makes me much more comfortable and saves a  lot of aggrevation.

I see a lot of people feel that they are being held hostage to a bad review, I do not play that game, not sure I could use AirBnB if I was worried about that all the time.

David

I gave the most recent guest a glowing review and was saddened and upset (initially) by what she wrote in return.

I could respond to her but I'm thinking I should just let my other reviews speak for themselves. 

@Victoria101

Andrew has a great advise on how to respond to a negative review here > https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/How-to-avoid-vindictive-reviews/m-p/461625#M4384

@Farah1, thanks for the link. I will try to cool off and decide. Will be professional if I do decide to respond.

@Victoria101 I read that review you wrote her and what she wrote you - I might be wrong but, there are so many Narcissist out there

and they will challenge, push and do anything they can to cause drama. See how that review pushed the drama button for you. I am sorry you got that - and I hope you can do what you suggest about let the other reviews speak  cause those difficult people are just out there and we can't change em. I hope you can resist a negative response because if you do that folks will then be judging YOU. Maybe something like  - surprised to read her review as she kept it to herself.  I wouldn't speak to her directly BUT about her - that will chap her for sure. that's the interesting part of hosting with Airbnb all the different people and personalities and how they manage their lives and drift into ours and what impact WE allow them to have. I wish you the best Victoria.

@Clara116, yes I did not know that she had these sentiments, especially since she appeared to be having a good time at my birthday party with my family, 3 days before she checked out.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Maxine22  We provide both a fan and a space heater and blankets and robes. We do not adjust our thermostat for guests. A/C in the summer, heat in the winter, and set to "eco". They can use the fan or the space heater to adjust their atmosphere. Put this in your house rules and manual.

Put everything you supply in the listing details and house rules and manual and say you do not supply more than what is provided in the space upon arrival. Perhaps it's 1 roll of TP per day and 1 roll of paper towels per week, 2 towels per person per week, etc. Anything else they need they must purchase on their own.

Leave mosquito repellent in the place. It's cheap enough. Maybe citronella candles and matches? Mention there are mosquitos from the water behind the property and not to leave the doors or windows open.

Anytime anyone asks for more than you want to provide, refer them to the house rules and manual that they agreed to or be more passive-aggressive and provide these things (within reason) but leave them a very factual review. "So-and-so asked for more toilet paper and for the heat to be turned on in summer and had several demands for the host to provide over-and-above what was reasonable such as paper cups and straws."