How much do YOU want to know when a host leaves a bad review for a guest?

Donna222
Level 2
Millbrook, NY

How much do YOU want to know when a host leaves a bad review for a guest?

I have a house that I'm renovating that has an apartment/suite on it separated with a two car garage in between.  The main part of the house is under renovation.  It is closed up, and I never work on it while guests are there. The suite was the first thing I renovated.  I'm talking repairing walls, replacing appliances, installing a washer and dryer (outlets, pipes, etc.), repairing busted pipes that froze during the winter, repairing walls, painting, repairing floors, etc.  I do NOT charge a cleaning fee.  I know there would be an argument that I should do so, but we have our own feelings and theories on it - whether we're right or wrong, I don't know, but I'm doing this to pay for medical treatment for my daughter that isn't covered by insurance (I know, more information than you need), so running the AirBnb is very important to me for my daughter's life.  I clean like mad and do all the right things for my guests.  I've let things go regarding guests quite a few times despite the fact that my house rules have been broken or maybe there's a mess that shouldn't be left, but the latest guest - I just felt my heart drop when I walked in after he left.  This guest violated all but one rule in my house rules.  If it had just been maybe one thing or two, I don't think I would be this angry.

He booked for two guests, stated he was traveling to fix cell towers due to tornadoes we had here and had his foreman with him.  He then tells me that his girlfriend is going to meet him there. It's obvious he had three guests (or more) and didn't book for three.  On his last day there, he asked me if he could have an extra hour and a half AT checkout time.  I allowed him to do so since I didn't have another booking that day.  He told me how much he loved my place, and asked me how long I was going to keep the AirBnb open so he could book again.

The garage, which is not part of the AirBnb rental, was used.  My garage door was tampered with and was disconnected from the garage door opener so they could manually open it since the way to open it was in the other garage where they had no access  When I arrived at my AirBnb, the garage door was two inches off the ground and left that way...with a pile of cigarettes laying right outside the door. There were matches that had been lit and dropped onto the floor of the garage.  The garage was doused with cologne and smelled like a bar...cheap cologne, stale cigarettes, and alcohol.  I'm sure the cologne was used in an attempt to cover up the smell.

At this point, I have to mention that I leave paper towels, dish soap, dish cloths, and dish towels on the premises.   I walked into the kitchen and was greeted to a pile of dishes that were "washed" (I use this term loosely as there was smegma on everything, and I had to rewash it all).  Whatever they dripped on the kitchen table was left on it.  I opened the refrigerator which had a strange bluish purple substance on it that took some time to remove, and a pot I left there was in it and closed.  I opened it to find a picked chicken with one of my knives in it...along with 5 out of 6 beer bottles left as well.  There was egg yolk on the oven, and grease dripping from the rack to the bottom.  The drip pans that had been spotless were also not clean.  I do expect some of these things, but bear with me on this....

I looked into the living room, and there was an empty bag and dryer sheet on the floor.  This wouldn't cause me to write a bad review in itself, but as I moved forward to the main bedroom, that is when my heart sank.

It was trashed.  I mean, trashed.  A heavy wood, antique dresser was drug across the hardwood floors and moved six feet away to the window (I have a rule stating not to move the furniture due to floor scratching).  I can't understand the reasoning behind this being done. There was no way to get to the window or walk in between it around the bed.  On top of it, a wet towel, brown bag like is used at liquor stores, and a packet of chicken gravy.  The end tables had odd green stuff stuck on them (I have a rule about not eating in the beds- there's a table in the kitchen where people can eat).  There were glass marks on the end tables (also state to use the coasters I provide).  Also, an empty bottle of energy drink...five hours, to be exact.

The end table on the other side of the bed was moved forward.  As I made my way to that side of the bed, I note the laundry basket from the other bedroom closet was on that side turned upside down on the floor.  I looked behind the end table, and my lamp that had been on the end table was on the floor.  I picked up the end table to move it, and there were empty water bottles and garbage on the floor.  The decorative pillows were tossed on the floor and under the bed and had greasy looking finger prints on them.

Then, I look to the right because there is something odd going down the wall and on the heater....as I move things out of the way to see what this is, I realize it's some sort of melted green and chocolate ice cream (my guess is mint chocolate chip).  It's on the wall, down the baseboard heater, and puddled onto the floor...and just left there...on the hardwood floors.  As I'm removing the bed sheets, and cleaning everywhere and moving furniture back BY MYSELF with TITANIUM IN MY SPINE, I see MORE ice cream on the hardwood floors and on the living room wall.

My rules state not to wash the towels or linens.  As many know, when someone does that, stains may set in that we are prepared to remove.  When I went into the twin bed room, I found a bunch of wet towels sitting in the dryer.  An entire bottle of Tide laundry detergent had been used.  The guy was only there for TWO NIGHTS.

I have trash cans in every bedroom, in the bathroom, and one in the kitchen that is between the kitchen and living room.  The kitchen also has a recycling bin. It's really easy access to a trash can.  However, these guests decided the floor was an equally great place to drop garbage.  Yet, in the garage, a HUGE construction bag was FULL of garbage.  I'm five foot, eight inches, and this thing came almost up to my shoulders.  Next to it, was one of my kitchen bags full of trash.  Well, this is how it goes - I had to haul all of that smelly trash in my car with me.  The construction bag (I do not leave construction bags) was SO heavy, and I'm a relatively strong person.  I put these in my car on my way out that evening, and had to go through that bag because our trash collection will not take construction bags, and there were recyclables piled in there.  So, I'm going through this taking liquor bottle after liquor bottle out.  There were two spray bottles not totally empty of armourall in there.  There were a lot of dirty cloth rags in it, an old heavy sweatshirt, WINDSHIELD wipers, a box for a camera, lots of Dunkin Donut cups, containers for fast food, some sort of storage container by Rubbermaid, and old food.  I came to the conclusion that this guy cleaned his car out and discarded everything he's had in there for well over a week and left it to me to dispose of it.  My real response, "Wow, you could clean out your car, but couldn't pick up after yourself in my house?"

The bathroom?  Oh...apparently, they weren't sure how to flush the toilet.  Also, it appears there was a haircut done...over the toilet.  I don't even want to know.

Two nights this guy stayed.  Two days and over six hours each day it took for me to clean up after him.  TWO DAYS of HOURS of cleaning and washing and cleaning and washing.  Cleaning walls, cleaning out an apartment sized oven (they aren't self cleaning), cleaning all of the drip pans under the burners of the oven, cleaning my walls of ice cream, scrubbing this ice cream off the floor, heaters, and end tables, picking up cigarette butts, picking up water bottles, bags, plastic wrappers...and I have ALWAYS been kind to my guests.  I've ALWAYS tried to accomodate when I can.  I have NEVER even had the desire to leave a bad review until this guy.  I felt so disrespected by his piggy ways.  How DARE you treat someone's house like this?  Like I said, I don't even charge a cleaning fee.

With all of this, I feel like I really need to warn others regarding hosting.  I don't want anyone else to have to experience the mess that I had.  How much do people want to know with ALL of this?  This will be the first negative review I write.  You know what's odd?  This is his first time booking an AirBnb, but he told me that a former girlfriend use to do the bookings for him.  So, I'm his first review, and this is what he does to my house?  No excuses, he's stayed in an AirBnb in the past.  Am I too mad over this?  I've had people be messy before, but NOTHING like this where I felt like he thought I was his maid service and to hell with me.  Nothing like someone smoking in my garage, throwing garbage on the floors, and just totally being disrespectful to my house.  If another person had been scheduled within a 48 hour period, I wouldn't have been able to host because of THIS guy.

To add insult to injury, there was a quarter left in plain site on the desk.  A quarter...was I getting paid two cents an hour to clean up after him?

Thanks for letting me vent, but, again, the quesiton is....what would YOU want to know as a host?

60 Replies 60

Word of advice is to block off next MeM day weekend..

Lisa975
Level 4
Barboursville, WV

I too just left a 1 star for a guest just a few minutes ago.  They were in our condo for 3 days.  Broke into the owners closset and used every towel and left them wet all over the place including beds etc.  Moved heavy furnature around.  Then left their full loaded military style rifle loaded and under the bed when they left.  Just trashed the place.  The next people coming in the same day had three small kids with them  They could have found the rifle if not for the cleaners finding it first.  They used the condo to sell their "product" while the Bike Fest was going on in Myrtle Beach this weekend.gun.PNG

Holy cow!! That is terrifying.

@Lisa723 hello sure hope you went to the police and got this on on record - what craziness to find this under the bed - but breaking into your closet - that's against the law too???? so sorry your place got treated like this. keep us posted>

WHAT DID YOU DO?

happy hosting, clara

@Clara116 you tagged the wrong @Lisa975 🙂

@Lisa975 oh, my! Did you call the police about the weapon? It might have been stolen or used in some crime. Really terrifying to consider what could have happened if your cleaners had not found it and children did find it.  What was their product? Meth? Hope that the cops really did an investigation. Did you report this to Airbnb? I am sure that you have them a Thumbs Down. Sure hope they are removed. I do not want them here!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lisa

God almighty, what sort of country do you guys live in where people walk around with fully loaded assault rifes, shove them under their bed and just forget about them.

I think US citizens are living out a self fulfilling prophecy.  Complacency breeds contempt, and because a society allows this sort of thing to be the norm, the consequences of that norm are going to ever spiral out of control! People become desensitized to the issue and don't care. 

It is probably no good you reporting this to the police Lisa, because a major part of their resources are tied up trying to deal with gun related incidents, and they just don't have the manpower to do anything about it in the way of follow-up even if they wanted to.

Already we have seen this year in America more school children killed by gunfire in the supposed safety of their schools than the US armed forces have lost in their entire worldwide military operations!

@Lisa I am sorry that you had to experience this, it is so unfair when all you are trying to is the right thing, and I absolutely shudder to think what might have happened if that next guest's kids found that weapon.

If a guest showed up here with any sort of a gun, I would refuse them entry, point blank, and if I found out they had one during their stay I would involve local Police and have them removed immediately.....I would not seek an explanation, I would just get them removed. It would not be up to Airbnb, it would be up to me...It is against the laws of this land to carry a gun......and we don't have massacres!

In 2016 there were 1.04 firearm related deaths per 100,000 people in Australia.

In 2016 there were 12 firearm related deaths per 100,000 people in the United States.

There are 13.5 guns per 100 people in Australia.

There are 101.05 guns per 100 people in the United States.

It sort of speaks for itself, doesn't it! 

Cheers.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lisa975,

Lovely to meet you. This does sounds rather flightening and I am so sorry to hear about how your home was left. 

In case you haven't already, please can you contact our Support Team about this. As you are based in the US, here is a contact number to reach them: +1-415-800-5959/ +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free).  Also, here is a Community Guide which provides a useful overview of the different ways to reach the team. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Donna0 Perhaps:

"Guest seemed nice (enough) on the phone, but after actually hosting him, I feel he'd be best suited for a hosting situation which provides constant 24/7 maid service running right behind him." Translation: he is a PIG, no one will touch him.

Btw, did I read correctly you said two days of cleaning, once each day? 

Hotels won't run into this type of problem, even with this pig: he would have to bring in the food, encounter smoke alarms, fines for smoking (via credit card), daily maid service (aka inspection), bullet-proof furnishings, limited amenities & possibilities, etc, etc.

Two days of cleaning...totaling 12 hours.  Total piggy mess. I did leave a review with that statement. 

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Honestly, i'm going to be the bad guy here, I have little sympathy. 

This sounds like Vandalism. I would have reported it to the police, THEN called Airbnb with Police report.

People do stuff like this because they get away with it.

My husband is a retired cop.  The only thing we have here is the tampering of the garage.  Otherwise, we put ourselves at risk with mischief by allowing people to stay in our place.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have guests in Hunting season so not something that bothers me. If you are here to Hunt you will have something to hunt with and I have without exception found them to be good guests.

I doubt very much that it is an Assault Rifle, very few of them around seriously expensive and someone with one is not likely to forget it.

Can not tell what it is exactly but looks $1,000 plus so I would have throught the guest would want it back. Sounds like a deal is doable. Otherwise hand it in to the Police.

I would not worry too much about the verbage, would exppect a guest with one stars and thumbs down to junk the profile and start afresh.

David

My son said it was a SCAR  I looked it up and they sell for about 3 grand.  Look up Myrtle Beach bike fest memorial weekend and you will see probably what they were using it to protect.  He checked-in and used the remote lock.  He went back and got it while the cleaning people were there and security waited for them to get it.  

@Donna222 Sorry to hear to hear about this terrible experience.. I hope you have guests who make you smile and make you forget about this person. Don't let this one person tarnish your experience of hosting and don't give him this power over you. I am an ex-hotelier by education and by profession. Trust me when I say this that even in 5 star luxuxy hotels very often then not we get similar excuse for human beings who have no respect of the space they are living in. I can never forget the room I have seen and unfortunatly cleaned as an unpaid trainee ( free labour in the name of internship 🙂 some 15/16 years back. The room was a catastrophe. Walked into broken glasses right off the threshold of the door, urinated carpet behind the door, chips crushed and stuffed in the pillow cases, mangoes under the mattress, cigarette butts burned the duvet and comforter,  shampoo bottle pouring liquid inside the bedside table, clogged toilet with more shampoo bottles ( never understood the reason for this kindness) In short if hurricane Irma was gone into that room it would still have looked better. What did the management did? Nothing absolutly nothing.. This guy apparently was a repeat guest, they wanted his business. I know it is disheartening to know someone disrespected your space and you. But I would like many others have said before me advice that do write a strong review on him. You can be poliet yet firm in the comments. Many time when I read a negative review from a host for a guest, I have often seen the responses are clear & to the point. If I was you, I wouldn't beat around the bush and leave things for subjectivity. However I would add, please try to keep the emotions out of it. Facts speak more.  If it is not too late already do even write a formal email to Airbnb.