I've sold my house to a new owner that wants to continue booking the home using AirBnB.

Sarah168
Level 1
St. George, UT

I've sold my house to a new owner that wants to continue booking the home using AirBnB.

Can my bookings be transferred to the new owner's AirBnB account?  I'm sure that this is not the first time this has happened.  Will AirBnB transfer my current bookings to the new owner's account?  

22 Replies 22
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Sarah168 As far as I know, the new owner will have to set up his own account and re-list the property.  I don't think your bookings can be transferred to him.  You should honor the reservations you have already scheduled and work it out with the new owner.  Also, you should block your calendar so no one can book after the property is sold. 

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Sarah168 (and @Clare0) Actually, it's totally easy to transfer the listing to a new host, That said, it's also totallly misleading in your particular situation. The new owner should replicate the listing (photos, description, settings) but w/o the previous ratings and reviews. Keeping those would be about 95% false.

If you want to transfer the listing to a new host/manager, that's entirely possible, though. Quite easy, in fact. We did exactly that a few months ago.

Julie191
Level 2
Cairns City, Australia

Hi Dede

How did you go about transfering the listing to a new Host / Manager?  I am struggling to find an answer to this.

Julie

Tarnya0
Level 1
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

did you work it out because i cant!

Hello Tarnya,

Yes. This solution may not work for you, but here's what I did. I put my account in my property manager's name. We also added her bank account to the AiaBnB account. All reservation were kept intact. All future income started going to her account. We also had to add her Tax ID to the account. It was actually pretty simple. Now that I'm not associated with the account, it was easy to transfer title to the new owner. If the new owner wants to, they could then change the account in their name. etc.

AirBnB was very helpful in this matter. You can actually call them and tell them what you want to do. They will send you official articles on how to do this.

Thanks

Bret

Aloha Tanya,  I am selling my home also and have a very successful Air bnb business.  Thank you for your post and do you have a good contact number for Air bnb as I cannot find one anywhere?   Thank you so much,   Aloha,  Bryce

Can you give me details on how to set this up. We are selling our house but I am still taking bookings for the person. Just in case the transfer does not go through. Thanks 

Can you give me details on how to set this up. We are selling our house but I am still taking bookings for the person. Just in case the Sale of the House  does not go through. Thanks 

@Kathleen-And-Richard0 The new owners will need to set up their own account and create a new listing for the property.  You should not accept any reservations that will take place past the sale date since you will no longer be the host.  

Please know that listings / accounts cannot be transferred from one person to the next.  

Thanks too late to not take reservations. The sale is only one month turn over so we have a few listings. 

@Kathleen-And-Richard0 In that case you should inform the guests that new hosts will take care of them (assuming the new owners have taken possession of the property) and if they are not comfortable with that, you will need to cancel since it is not the guest's fault. 

You have now blocked your calendar to future reservations, correct?  I recommend that you de-list your listing to block any further Inquiries or Reservation Requests.  Once all the reservations have run their course, you will need to permanently cancel the listing. 

Payment for the reservations would need to be figured out between you and the new owners.

In the meantime, the new owner should create their account and set up a new listing. 

Perfect, exactly what we have done. 

How? 🙂

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

Especially for the sake of your prior guests that wish to return, you may not want to transfer the account to the new owner. Let them have the photos and create their own profile with their own reviews. If their reviews are not as good as yours, it has no bearing on you in case prior guests call you about the changes where they can see their old reviews.