Incorrect guest information - both list from Kellyville OK, but that is incorrect. 2 separate resrtn

Sue-And-Blaise0
Level 1
Penngrove, CA

Incorrect guest information - both list from Kellyville OK, but that is incorrect. 2 separate resrtn

This last week, I had two separate guest reservations both stating they are from Kellyville OK, which is incorrect. Anyone else having this problem? They are both new AirBnb users.

79 Replies 79
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Sue-And-Blaise0

From another thread on the forum talking about how many guests seemed to come from one certain city in the US it seems that it's a default setting on the profile. If guest doesn't enter their own area, that default remains. I would assume though that requiring guest profile verification would eliminate being able to use the default.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

This is a KNOWN ISSUE with some NEW GUEST PROFILES listing either Kellyville, OK or Lindenwold, NJ as the guest's hometown. We had two such reservations this week. Neither guest had a clue what was going on.

I called ABNB Customer Support. First rep was clueless (Michael from a call center in Florida) and he insisted it was not a glitch in their system but that is how the guests must have entered their data. I told him I trust the guests more than ABNB on this one, something is awry. He even became quite condescending to me on the phone. I told him I disagree with his assessment and asked to speak to his supervisor..... he hung up on me! I was livid underneath but calm on the surface. Then I decided to call Customer Support again and connected with a terrific representative (Kianna from the Midwest) who told me it's a known issue that ABNB is working on to resolve. She's the one who told me the glitch is affecting numerous profiles of new guests. She assisted in getting our guest profile corrected. I put in a good word for Kianna on her behalf with her supervisor and her supervisor confirmed what Kianna had told me. Her supervisor also took my complaint about the rep Michael in FL and said she would track down his supervisor to report his misinformation and rude behavior.

This shakes my faith in ABNB and is a trust issue.  They are supposed to be verifying our guests, but do so "under the hood" where we can't access the data we need. One of the few things we have at our disposal (after they've booked) is the name of the guest and place from which they hail.  When this is compromised by a glitch in the system and also by ABNB allowing guests to use a personal names of their choosing, what do we have to go on?

Tony101
Level 1
Truckee, CA

We have had 4 seperate guest reservations with Kellyville, Ok listed as their residence. It does seem like some kind of strange default. We have tried to get Airbnb to comment about this but have had no success. We have succesfully hosted one of the four with no problem but remain curious and slightly concerned. 

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I also just then got a reservation from Kellyville, OK. I asked the guest about it, she has no clue, but went into her account and changed it to her correct town. So I think it is definitely what @Andrea9 suggested above: the Airbnb default setting when people don't fill out anything in their profile. like the "null' here in the CC when people don't add their location. bottom line: nothing to worry about.

PS: still, I don't like it : why would Airbnb mislead the host by filling something arbitrary into the location field instead of getting back to the guest and reminding him/her to fill out the very basics in their profile?

Tracy115
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I am having the same issue right now. Two totally seperate reservations both saying Kellyville, OK. This is not part of Airbnb Verification policy, in my Hosting opinion. I am glad to hear no one is having scam issues, as I have before with a guest who stole someone's online identity and cc info to stay in my house (this was via the Homeaway.com marketplace, not Airbnb). I am extra wary of this issue as it shows a misstep in I.D. verification. 

I hope adding to this thread brings it to Airbnb HQ attention so this can be addressed. 

Thank you!

Tracy 

I had a group of 5 guests and the one booking said he was from kellyville OK...

long story short the guys broke one of my guest beds by unscrewing it and literally jumping on the frame, twisting the metal and ripping the leather...

now one I have another reservation coming up with the same city locale. Makes me worried now since I have had a really bad experience 

@Billy33 , sorry about your bad experince with the jumper... but rest assured, it is a fluke and has nothing  to do with Kellyville, OK. Kellyville is the default location setting for guests who have not filled out their location in their profile. Airbnb should change that, but you can also ask your guest to change it on their profile. I just had one myself, asked her to change it, and she did. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Billy33 Hi, going forward into the future you might want to build in an additional safeguard many experienced hosts don't go without, namely ID control and registration upon arrival. However, you must include this in your House Rules which guests confirm upon booking. When a guest knows they are on record there tends to be better behaviour than when they feel protected by a magic cloak of anonymity.

Hi Andrea, could you explain exactly what 'guest registration and ID control' is upon arrival? Do we check ID's and have them sign in on a book of some sort? Instruction and suggestions please. 

Thank you 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Leslie135

How you implement 'guest registration and ID control' is up to you.

For ex. all legally registered hosts here in Amsterdam registered with city hall are required to keep an overnight register comparable to a hotel register. 

(Those hosts not registered and doing STR are in danger of getting a high fine).

This can of course be done digitally, but I'm pretty old school and love my ledger which lists my successive booking number, arrival and departure dates, no. of guests, no. of nights, full names, where they live, ID #, type of id (passport, ID card etc.)

We are by law not allowed to take a picture of the ID itself, though.

So no way unbeknownst to me I'd get a third-person booking and have another person turn up and be let in.

In your case you might not have to keep such a register and are allowed to take a phone picture, which would also be sufficient.

It's up to you really. Personally I can easily tell them I have to do it because I'm fully and legally registered, which also conveys the fact that I don't do this as a hobby and pay taxes.

And even if you don't have to be officially registered you can tell your guests it's part and parcel of your STR personal business.

Hope this helps.

How do you do ID control?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Cheryl133

"How do you do ID control?"

Well, you already have a name.

When they arrive you address the point of ID control as announced in your house rules.

I for ex.  have to keep a kind of 'hotel' register for the city, so I simply tell them the city asks for it.

You could say whatever - that it's for your city or town hall if you don't feel comfortable just asking for it.

Personally, I find having a ledger comes across as more professional

(if you're wondering "Where do I get that?", then think bound note book or journal large enough to accommodate columns for ex. for:

Guest no. / Arrival date / Departure date / No. of guests / No. of nights /

Full name / City, State, country / ID no. / ID type - these ex. are what I'm to to take a note of here acc. to our regulations )

There's no set rules of how to do this. Hotels keep them too. I find doing it this way makes it feel more official than simply checking their name and if they're from Kellyville or not 😉

Of course if you offer self check in, then you have no way of checking your guests.