Incorrect guest information - both list from Kellyville OK, but that is incorrect. 2 separate resrtn

Sue-And-Blaise0
Level 1
Penngrove, CA

Incorrect guest information - both list from Kellyville OK, but that is incorrect. 2 separate resrtn

This last week, I had two separate guest reservations both stating they are from Kellyville OK, which is incorrect. Anyone else having this problem? They are both new AirBnb users.

79 Replies 79
JB6
Level 4
Johnson City, TX

Interesting to know this is an issue, and one that AirBnB appears relatively clueless on.  We've just started up, and out of our first 25 reservations, 5 have been from "Kellyville".  All of those folk are from other places, and all registered this year.  Knowing (now) that they really aren't from Kellyville, we'll ask them when they check in.  Since Kellyville has about 1100 residents, it seems that at some point there will be more virtual residents of Kellyville than actual ones.  

@JB6, Airbnb knows about it, they just don't care.. On several other posts about this, a host has mentioned that she called Airbnb about it, they acknowledged it and suggested she tell her guest to change it.

So Airbnb put it in place as the default home town for guests who have not filled out their profile, before  it was something like Lindensomething, NJ: at best it is an inconsequential filler by Airbnb - but it can also seen as mildly deceiving info in the direction of hosts: a lot of us are a bit anxious who our guests are, and getting this as home town and noticing that it is all over the place, only adds to the anxiety. It wouldn't be too difficult for Airbnb to simply not do that, better would even be for Airbnb to prompt guests to fill out their profile, instead of advising us hosts to prompt our guest to do it.

Inger7
Level 2
Santa Barbara, CA

Yes, I too have had 2 such bookings from Kellyville OK.  So I have to ask this

DUMB Question from me, a new host...

How would airbnb be able to verify I'D info without an address on their profile?   Or better question, what exactly ARE they verifying?

One would think all the info needs to be entered before a guest could be "verified" , no?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Inger7

It seems that's what even hosts are starting to ask themselves who have been at this longer. Now even an ID upload isn't necessary anymore, so a default city doesn't seem such a surprise anymore. My personal take on this after several years of hosting and watching developments change the original Airbnb principle, is that Airbnb will enforce such things less and less until they have everybody on IB, where verification is done more thoroughly if verified ID is chosen. And once they have everybody on that, they will slowly peel back the conditions one by one too. It's called boiling the frog...

Thanks @Andrea9. Sadly, I agree.  When I signed up I was drawn in by the promise that a verification was done for ALL guests.  I am still learning from you and others in the Community and thanks to all....  I suppose I can manage with instant book and a strong set of House Rules which have already saved me more than once (huge personal thanks to @Momi in hawaii for covering all the bases).

Your explanation also helps me now understand  why the proponents of strong House rules would ever consider doing IB listing but I guess I get it now. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Inger7

Ah yes, @Momi0 -  leads a tight ship with all bases covered, you can't pull the wool over her eyes, and she seems to make the best mango marguaritas!

I borrowed from her suggestions too last fall when test-installing IB. However, I hadn't realized that the introductory message was pre- and not post-booking, so lost that possibility to put in a spoiler alert. The first booking was somebody who admitted not thinking he'd need to look at my houserules because of his prior good reviews, duuhhh. So had him cancelled and I've completely lost my nerve for IB...

@Inger7   WOW, so glad someone told me about your post...because unfortunately the tag on my name in your post didn't work, (is there another Momi?" hahahahah,  so I never received it in my email.  You are most welcome Inger.  I am equally grateful for the private message you sent me as well 2 weeks ago.  I also have another helpful tip that I would like to mention to you as well about guests verification.

You are in your complete right to ask the guests to take a photo with their smartphone and text, email or upload it IN THE AIRBNB message inbox because the app now allows for photos to be sent ) not just text messages.  Its great. My guests just love the pics I send them in the booking message inbox prior to check in.  That is also where the guests are sending me photos of their drivers license, passport, government ID or State ID.  Anyone having an issue with that will find themselves not staying in our home.  I recently had a great guests send a photo of her boyfriend holding up his drivers license.  That was great.  I loved his big smile.  

Its important to understand that ABB has changed thier policy about government ID's being required to do as a form of verifications because they implemented the new system of the AMERICAN guests being able to answer "personal" questions instead of having them upload the ID. That may be ABB's new way but in no way does that mean a host has to go that route in verifying their guests.  My listing still requires they upload their ID's for the guests doing the booking and their guest still has to send it to me too.  If they are not comfortable doing so, I am ok with a link to their LINKEDIn, social media, Facebook link, (this is not doable on their profile), they have to send it to you.  And of course getting their ful name is all I need to do my OWN VERIFICATION.  Make sense? 

My recent IB refused to do any of House Rule #1, including giving me her boyfriends full name, and was forced to cancel her IB.  She tried to complain to Airbnb, but ABB stood by me and had my back 100% reminding this woman that she should have read my House Rules prior to her IB.  I was willing to wait for her to comply, but after 28 hours, she chose to book elsewhere.   (I find it interesting that she ticked off the box verifying to ABB she had read the rules and agreed at the time of her IB, yet she hadn't).  Perhaps she learned a valuable life lesson.....READ READ READ., before spending your hard earned money...but I hightly doubt it. 

By the way, I know you "borrowed" my House Rules, but I am pretty sure you don't have the same binoculars in your AIrbnb room that is written/mentioned about in my House Rules...hahahaha....perhaps you might want to remove that or your guests are gonna be looking to use those binoculars that are not there.  LOL

Hope you are well.  Can't wait for the day we can go bowling together.......I'll pack my PINK bowling shoes too....haha

I'm editing this post only to include @Andrea9  bc I wanted this wonderful woman to read what happened with my latest IB.  yep....No wool can be pulled over my eyes....it will just get stuck on my sunglasses at the beach as I drink my mango margaritas.  LOL

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

I didn't know they weren't requiring government id's anymore. Somehow  I missed that email. I would be interested in learning more about what you are doing.  I will be closing down for the summer season on Monday but I would like to have something in place for next summer. 

I'm sorry what is IB?

@David376 , it's Instant Booking.

Inger7
Level 2
Santa Barbara, CA

Yes, I too have had 2 such bookings from Kellyville OK.  So I have to ask this

DUMB Question from me, a new host...

How would airbnb be able to verify I'D info without an address on their profile?   Or better question, what exactly ARE they verifying?

One would think all the info needs to be entered before a guest could be "verified" , no?

my thoughts exactly! Now I ask the guest to go back to their profile and complete whatever they did not finish. If they had not supplied a photo, or put their dog's picture in as their profile picture, I request a correct one before they arrive.

Susan89
Level 4
Eldorado Springs, CO

Today I got two reservations and both guests are from Kellyville, OK. I thought that was odd, since one of them is actually from Colorado. I'll follow up on the other guest and hopefully this problem will be fixed soon.

Dawn97
Level 2
SF, CA

Hello community, I received 4 bookings in the last two weeks from Kellyville, Ok. Began to get very paranoid. Looked up Kellyville only 1100 population with a crime rate of 58%. Paranoia get very intense. So thankful I found this thread.

@Dawn97 , glad you figured it out! This stuff (and hosts thus getting anxious) only happens because Airbnb unnecessarily messes with settings they should  just leave alone, and then they don't inform us about such things....