Is AirBnB anti-Semitc?

Theron5
Level 1
Berkeley, CA

Is AirBnB anti-Semitc?

They just banned Jewish people from hosting in East Jerusalem.  

29 Replies 29

As a protest for your political antisemitic decision to exclude Jewish homes in the West Bank in Israel from AirBnB (Which shows you don't understand the West Bank is a name of a geographic area ruled once by Jordan and home might belong to either side) I will limit my use in AirBnB, and stop using your platform.
As far as I know, Israel is the only conflict zone you took a political stand at. This is called hypocrisy, and it shows your company is influenced by inner political agendas, which a bad for any company.

For all the westeners who support it, the conflict is way too complicated for you to understand while sitting on your comfy couch back home. Your ignorance in the day to day lives being involved is outrageous. Soda Stream's factory moved from the West Bank: results: a lot of Palestinians lost their jobs which included making friendly connections with Jewish peers. Afterwards Soda Stream made a 3 billion $ exit. 

Edward19
Level 3
Devon, PA

Dear Brian Chesky,

I see that you've injected your left-wing politics into Airbnb by de-listing all Israeli listings in Judea and Samaria. HOW DARE YOU!

By your company's own nondiscrimination policies, YOU are in the wrong. Have you read your own policy? 

As I write this, under "Suggested Articles" the first one is "Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy: Our commitment to Inclusion and Respect." Huh!

You should be ashamed of yourself, and if I were able, I'd enlist all Airbnb hosts to leave the platform. Politics has no place here, and this particular political move is not only immoral, it is anti-Semitic. Plain and Simple.

Dear Brian...

Sorry but the discrimination is on Israel's side.

There is no place in the modern world for Israel's apartheid racist policies.   This week The Quakers (and many others groups) have divested also in the WB investments.

Settlements are clearly illegal under international law - so making money out of an illegal enterprise is also illegal. 

Don't profit from Palestinian misery and Israeli land theft.  

Quick question: How many Israeli Arabs (i.e. non-Jews) live in these wreched settlements?  Answer: Zero.

Jerry75
Level 2
Hashmona'im

I can't begin to state how furious I am at this antisemetic decision. But we are not completly powerless. 

This is not the end of the story

Marnina0
Level 3
Haifa, Israel

This recent move by Airbnb is truely unfortunate, but luckily there are plenty of other sites out there that offer similar services. The company claims they don't support discrimmination and wants to foster diversity and yet here we are. It would be one thing if you wouldn't allow listings in any disputed territories, but you have targeted one small group of people and that shows your true colors. Not to mention, that in all likelihood the computers you are using to run your company probably contain chips developed in Israel by people who own homes in those very same disputed territories...

Hi Marnina,

Not disputed territories, occupied by force.

For me it would be human that people avoid to book homes in colonized territories 

About chips, if fair people know, they would try boycot to disagree israeli colonization and apartheid.

All the best anyway

I just heard that Airbnb is not allowing listings from Jewish hosts in Western Israel, but is allowing Arabic and other ethnicity hosts to list their accommodations. I am so dismayed to hear that Airbnb, a large and welcoming corporation that I have absolutely loved being a part of is actually targeting Jews for exclusion. Will you be breaking their windows next? Please stop this now and treat all people the same without judgement as the "oath" you make the hosts agree to says.Where did this even come from? What is going on with Airbnb that it is now an anti semetic institution? I am so dismayed.

Niraj2
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

They are removing all listings in illegal Israeli settlements inside of the Palestinian boarder regardless of who they belong to. 

Ok, I checked a little further and Airbnb is not allowing any hosts to list in the west bank, not just jewish hosts. I will stand corrected.

Where is "Western Israel"?

"Arabic and other ethnicity hosts"... are you unable to bring yourselves to call them Palestinians?. 

"They just banned Jewish people from hosting in East Jerusalem."

The way you write it does make it sound as if it is anti-Semitic, Theron.

But that's just the way you write it. Digging deeper you find that there are very human and ethical reasons for the ban.

It does not target Jews. It targets those people who occupy another people's land by military force. Airbnb would be complicit in aiding and abetting that illegal occupation. It's not a political move, but a necessary ethical decision. That there is a political connotation is unavoidable.

And your thoughts concerning Chinese occupied Tibet?

Rubbish. Airbnb just picks on the Jews. They continue to operate in occupied Tibet, occupied Cyprus, occupied Crimea, occupied every where else. Just the Jews are targeted.......not anyone else.

Philip90
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

How about a vacation in Northern Cyprus?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Northern-Cyprus