Is Airbnb really going to require that we provide linens & towels?

James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

Is Airbnb really going to require that we provide linens & towels?

I just saw that as of July 2018 Airbnb will be requiring that hosts provide linens and towels. That is a killer for us and will be for many who do weekly vacation rentals and don't live locally. We have no means of ensuring linens are washed between rentals, much less being sure they won't accidentally be taken by the guests. I supposed we could find someone to contract, but that will likely add $100-200 per rental - most of our guests would much prefer save the money and bring their own. We tell them about the local linen rental agency so they have that option. 

The changes to Airbnb seems to be leaning toward people (guests and hosts) who have boatloads of money. I know that likely is where they'll make most money, but I fear that they are leaving their base behind. 

213 Replies 213
Nancy528
Level 6
West Hartford, CT

This morning, I sent the following email to the CEO and COO of Airbnb.  (Their email addresses are not publicly available, so I used the conventions I know airbnb to use generally: firstname@airbnb.com or first.last@airbnb.com.)  I encourage those that are interested in seeing this policy changed to do the same:

TO: brian@airbnb.com; brian.chesky@airbnb.com; belinda@airbnb.com

Dear Mr. Chesky and Ms. Johnson,

I hope this message finds you well.  We are "superhosts" who rent our beach home to guests on the Rhode Island shore.  We felt compelled to write to tell you that your new "essentials" policy will absolutely lower revenue for both Airbnb and its hosts, with little discernible value for guests.  

Hosts in many markets are making this case to one another on your community pages (here is an example:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Is-Airbnb-really-going-to-require-that-we-provide-linens...). Many are also certainly reaching out to Airbnb customer service to voice their concerns, as we have done.  But we are concerned that leadership is not being briefed on the valid concerns (and possible solutions) being raised.  We hope that you will take a moment to consider the following.

Not all accommodations are the same, and what is "essential" to a particular guest is necessarily highly subjective.  If anyone should know this, it is Airbnb.  On Airbnb, a person can rent a teepee, a treehouse, a converted airstream; accommodations with no heat, no running water, no bathroom, no electricity, no locks on doors (no doors!).  Your new policy, effective July 1, mandates that guests provide towels, bed sheets, soap, toilet paper, and pillows.  Without those items, a host is 1) threatened with removal from Airbnb, 2) cannot be included in special "collections" (e.g., family, work).

We and many hosts like us operate in markets where your designated "essentials" are not typical.  As is standard in our area, we do not provide towels or bed sheets, yet we maintain a Superhost designation.  Why?  Because we provide an experience that our guest bargained for.  We provide many amenities that are not mentioned in the"essentials" list: washer/dryer, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, dish soap, hand soap, dishwasher detergent, paper towels, "essential" spices for cooking, several bicycles, etc. etc. (We also provide some things you deem "essential": toilet paper, soap and pillows.  For the one potential guest who asked about linens, we referred her to two local services that pick up and drop off.)  

We live almost 100 miles from our Airbnb property, so we would have to outsource linen service.  That would add approximately $175/week to our expenses.  Note that the local rental companies and VRBO/Homeaway do not require hosts to provide these amenities.  As a result of your policy, there will be three likely outcomes:  hosts will provide the services and not raise rates, meaningfully reducing their rates; hosts will raise rates to offset this cost, resulting in noncompetitive offerings compared to VRBO and local agencies; or hosts will leave the Airbnb platform for a platform with less restrictive requirements.

Allow us to propose an alternative solution:  Require hosts to prominently note in their listings whether or not they provide these amenities.  That way, potential guests can decide what is "essential" to them.  But please do not require that Airbnb hosts provide arbitrary  amenities that many guests do not want at great expense to those involved.  We hope you give this note appropriate consideration.

Best regards,

Hat tip to Timothy, as we used his reference to teepees and treehouses!

Today I received the following message from Clara Liang at Airbnb. I'm encouraged that they are looking into the issue. 

Hi Don and Nancy,

Thank you so much for being Airbnb Superhosts and for sharing your feedback with us. My team and I work to support you and we take your input very seriously. The approach you recommended toward the end of your email is the path we are taking -- listings that do not offer the essential amenities will still be allowed on Airbnb & bookable, and we're offering ways to help you make this clear to guests. Our team will be sharing additional details on in the community center and host newsletter shortly.

As always, we will continue to make adjustments to support our community.  Feedback like this is invaluable -- thank you!

Thanks again,
Clara

That's great. I make it extremely clear in my house manual and other places in my listing that I don't provide essentials. My guest stay 30 days to 6 months, so they don't even exepct for me to provide these things. 

Excellent and very well put. I agree that it should be optional. I do 30 day to 6 month bookings and providing essentials is crazy for my particular use case. Thank you for writing that letter. I will write one to them as well. 

Thanks,

Matthew

@Nancy528 wrote:

This morning, I sent the following email to the CEO and COO of Airbnb.  (Their email addresses are not publicly available, so I used the conventions I know airbnb to use generally: firstname@airbnb.com or first.last@airbnb.com.)  I encourage those that are interested in seeing this policy changed to do the same:

TO: brian@airbnb.com; brian.chesky@airbnb.com; belinda@airbnb.com

Dear Mr. Chesky and Ms. Johnson,

I hope this message finds you well.  We are "superhosts" who rent our beach home to guests on the Rhode Island shore.  We felt compelled to write to tell you that your new "essentials" policy will absolutely lower revenue for both Airbnb and its hosts, with little discernible value for guests.  

Hosts in many markets are making this case to one another on your community pages (here is an example:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Is-Airbnb-really-going-to-require-that-we-provide-linens...). Many are also certainly reaching out to Airbnb customer service to voice their concerns, as we have done.  But we are concerned that leadership is not being briefed on the valid concerns (and possible solutions) being raised.  We hope that you will take a moment to consider the following.

Not all accommodations are the same, and what is "essential" to a particular guest is necessarily highly subjective.  If anyone should know this, it is Airbnb.  On Airbnb, a person can rent a teepee, a treehouse, a converted airstream; accommodations with no heat, no running water, no bathroom, no electricity, no locks on doors (no doors!).  Your new policy, effective July 1, mandates that guests provide towels, bed sheets, soap, toilet paper, and pillows.  Without those items, a host is 1) threatened with removal from Airbnb, 2) cannot be included in special "collections" (e.g., family, work).

We and many hosts like us operate in markets where your designated "essentials" are not typical.  As is standard in our area, we do not provide towels or bed sheets, yet we maintain a Superhost designation.  Why?  Because we provide an experience that our guest bargained for.  We provide many amenities that are not mentioned in the"essentials" list: washer/dryer, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, dish soap, hand soap, dishwasher detergent, paper towels, "essential" spices for cooking, several bicycles, etc. etc. (We also provide some things you deem "essential": toilet paper, soap and pillows.  For the one potential guest who asked about linens, we referred her to two local services that pick up and drop off.)  

We live almost 100 miles from our Airbnb property, so we would have to outsource linen service.  That would add approximately $175/week to our expenses.  Note that the local rental companies and VRBO/Homeaway do not require hosts to provide these amenities.  As a result of your policy, there will be three likely outcomes:  hosts will provide the services and not raise rates, meaningfully reducing their rates; hosts will raise rates to offset this cost, resulting in noncompetitive offerings compared to VRBO and local agencies; or hosts will leave the Airbnb platform for a platform with less restrictive requirements.

Allow us to propose an alternative solution:  Require hosts to prominently note in their listings whether or not they provide these amenities.  That way, potential guests can decide what is "essential" to them.  But please do not require that Airbnb hosts provide arbitrary  amenities that many guests do not want at great expense to those involved.  We hope you give this note appropriate consideration.

Best regards,

Excellent letter! I couldn't have said it better myself....

This is indeed an excellent letter and speaks to about all the situations we've seen on this thread. As noted in subsequent communications, they are hearing this, although still it appears there are penalties for not providing what Airbnb had determined is "essential" regardless of market, context, length of rentals, etc. Hopefully it'll get cleared up. In the mean time, I am experimenting with various other listing options.

Matthew11
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I have long term rentals (I require 30 days to 6 month stays) so providing supplies like soap and toilet paper don't make much sense for it. I offer long term discounts so people can have an affordable place thats inline with actual rentals in the area. Requiring essentials completely messes everything up for me and will require me to raise my rates significantly or leave the platform. This makes no logical sense for long term renters. I don't have anywhere to store a large supply, nor do I want guest to have access to such a supply (can imagine them walking off with parts of my supply when they checkout). I manage my airbnb while traveling from work halfway acrros the country. 

This is a terrible idea and I will more than likely leave the platform. It just isn't conducive for lont term stays. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @James165@Timothy19@Matthew11@Heather206@Nancy528@Soc0@Lori83@TheSords0@Jessica384@Linda108@Phyllis2@Helen56@Marzena4@Gillian19@Matthew285@Anita83@Julie812@Maureen161@Andrew172@Lauren338@Sarah977@Fred13@Mike340@Dan2@Marit-Anne0@Dassi0@Rebecca181@Maria-and-Steve1@Matthew11@Ange2@Ken-And-Sandy1@Minnie11@Heather206@Dawn162@Joan183@David126@Jeff158@Punam0@Amy38@Sandra126@Anita83@Dennis51@Stephen341@Susie0@Jane519@Stephen341@Serena122@Stephanie365@Joanna-And-Mark0@Colleen47@Donald28@Meg18@ZoZo1@Nori9@Sheri39@Robin4@Andi31@Aryanna1@Geri19@Bruce-and-Alison0@Chin0@Dola1@Triin5@Mathieu96@Lizzy13@Emmanuelle87@Dorothy11@Michelle986@Steven65@Nancy528@Laura1806@Cathie19@Gillian137@Letti0,

Thank you for sharing your opinions on essential amenities over the past few months. I know there has been a range of experience with supplying, in particular, linen to your guests mentioned here. I want you to know that I have been passing your feedback on to our team, which has been really helpful. 

As Nancy, mentions here, I wanted to also highlight a recent update regarding essential amenities, which I have shared in the Airbnb Updates board. 

Thanks again for your feedback. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks Lizzie! We appreciate it. In my case It didn't really make sense, as I require a 30 day minimum stay to comply with local law. I make it very clear in multiple places of my listings for peopel to bring these things with them as well. 

So we appreciate there being the 'option' to choose this depending on circumstance. 

Thanks for taking the time to communicate with us. 

Matthew

Lizzie,

Thank you for sharing the update. It is good to see that AirBnB is actually listening to the hosts. Sometimes it seems like big companies are just mindless machines that will run us over...

Tim

@Lizzie wrote:

Hello @James165@Timothy19@Matthew11@Heather206@Nancy528@Soc0@Lori83@TheSords0@Jessica384@Linda108@Phyllis2@Helen56@Marzena4@Gillian19@Matthew285@Anita83@Julie812@Maureen161@Andrew172@Lauren338@Sarah977@Fred13@Mike340@Dan2@Marit-Anne0@Dassi0@Rebecca181@Maria-and-Steve1@Matthew11@Ange2@Ken-And-Sandy1@Minnie11@Heather206@Dawn162@Joan183@David126@Jeff158@Punam0@Amy38@Sandra126@Anita83@Dennis51@Stephen341@Susie0@Jane519@Stephen341@Serena122@Stephanie365@Joanna-And-Mark0@Colleen47@Donald28@Meg18@ZoZo1@Nori9@Sheri39@Robin4@Andi31@Aryanna1@Geri19@Bruce-and-Alison0@Chin0@Dola1@Triin5@Mathieu96@Lizzy13@Emmanuelle87@Dorothy11@Michelle986@Steven65@Nancy528@Laura1806@Cathie19@Gillian137@Letti0,

Thank you for sharing your opinions on essential amenities over the past few months. I know there has been a range of experience with supplying, in particular, linen to your guests mentioned here. I want you to know that I have been passing your feedback on to our team, which has been really helpful. 

As Nancy, mentions here, I wanted to also highlight a recent update regarding essential amenities, which I have shared in the Airbnb Updates board. 

Lizzie

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for your replies @Timothy19 and @Matthew11, it is fantastic to hear your words here and that you are pleased with the update. 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie  I can't thank you enough!  The thought of not being a part of the Airbnb community was depressing.  So happy our situations were considered.  Much appreciated 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww thank you @Anita83, this is wonderful to hear. Thank you for all your feedback. 

Here's to happy hosting and have a lovely weekend. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Dorothy11
Level 2
Vernon, CT

Hi, I've had guests at my vacation home years before airbnb was developed....common practice not to provide linens, paper products or soaps. I do provide pillows, mattress pads and kitchen towels and blankets. That said, guests have access to linen closet with sheets and pillowcase to use but must wash and dry and return folded to closet. Otherwise cleaning service will charge extra.