My reviews are no longer in chronological order.

Lucille-and-Alan0
Level 7
Toronto, Canada

My reviews are no longer in chronological order.

My reviews are no longer in chronological order. So now my listing is showing reviews form October at the top so a guest will likly conclude that we have not have a guest since then. Has this happened to anyone else?

58 Replies 58
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Robin109,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry you were upset by my response, that really wasn't my intention, I know it is frustrating to many hosts and this is something I really don't like to see and have been actively reporting community feedback back to the team on this. 

There has been a recent response from Airbnb on a Host Voice idea regarding the chronological order of reviews. It provides a little more background on why this change been made, which you might like to read. Having this, please do continue to share you feedback and how you are finding it, it really is being listen to and is really important. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Clemence15
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Dear Lizzie,

We are very concerned and frustrated about this issue. We have been hosting since 2014 and if you are a guest based in the UK and are interested in booking our flat you will only see reviews which have been posted in 2014. It isn't reassuring for guests who might think that we have not had guests since 2014. Please fix this issue as soon as possible, it is not encouraging for hosts and it is not helpful for guests.

A faithful airbnb host and user.

Clem

Hi Lizzie -- The change in review sort order was to obfuscate/hide fake inagural reviews and possibly fake reviews on an ongoing basis.  There is a very, very detailed article related to all of this that just went live today. 

http://vacation-rental-maestro.weebly.com/faking-it-w-airbnb-reviews----the-article.html

You can tell everyone that or you can leave it up to us. 

Regards

b

Julie545
Level 3
Scotland, United Kingdom

I am very late to the discussion but I also find this really irritating both as a guest and a host.  I understand the reasoning behind the review order, but why don't we as guests and hosts have the option of filtering the search to see the most recent first?  Just about all other review websites offer this feature, so why is it not possible on Airbnb? 

Julie339
Level 4
Arakoon, Australia

I would also like reviews to revert to chronological order.

Wenyong0
Level 2
Utrecht, Netherlands

Please revert to chronological order, or at least give guests a 'sort by date' option, which should be as default. The current review order is counterintuiative. It's really annoying and confusing to not only hosts but also guests. For everyone's sake, change it back to chronological order, please. 

Santa4
Level 2
Jūrmala, Latvia

I absolutely agree to other users opinion that reviews must be in chronological order. Right now it is impossible for everyone (hosts, guests) to understand what is the logic behind how reviews are sorted. and it gives very negative impression when first reviews are from dates quite a long ago. Also I agree with Wenyong opinon that at least AirBnb could make an option 'sort by date' which would solve the current situation. Otherwise it is totall mess.

I had this also. We had guests last week from Japan and their review is last, all the US reviews come first then theirs. If I was searching from Japan rather than the US then theirs would be first even months from now. Really annoying. 

Medea0
Level 1
Franklin, ME

As a host, and as a guest, I completely agree with all the complaints posted here.  

The "response" from Airbnb, that Lizzie shared with us previously, says that Airbnb's analysis shows there are more bookings under the country/language regime.  But if hosts (and guests) are saying "this is nuts" then clearly Airbnb is prioritizing their own financial bottom line rather than people's satisfaction with usefulness of the site.  Not surprising, but definitely frustrating for us as users.

If Airbnb refuses to switch back to chrono order, then YES, I agree that a good compromise is to add a date-search option for reviews.  That way everyone will at least have a means to check reviews by chrono order if they want to. 

This goes for reviews of guests as well. I was just checking a guest's reviews and she was from the U.S. but her first review was by a host in Norway, even though it was not her most recent review.  So it appears that the rule for listing reviews of guests is different from the rule for listing reviews of hosts.  Which adds to the confusion and aggravation.

Kevin707
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I was just confused by this as well. I was looking at an apartment which appeared to have only ONE review in 2018 (which is odd). After going through multiple pages, I have found many reviews for 2018. AirBnb can EASILY fix this by having their (not-very-good) default be standard, but just allow users to select "show reviews in Chronological order," along with a few other selections to choose from. Simple.

Sarah1389
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I don't understand the value behind the new way of sorting reviews.  I get alot of international guests and their reviews are automatically sorted to the bottom of the list.  It should default to chronological order and let the guests have the ability to sort.

I hosted a group of kids that never use airbnb before, left me a annoying review, I was averaging 1 booking per day, after this kids left the review everything stop, doesn't matter all my good reviews in the past or the good reviews after, I still have it on the first place on my page, the only bad review of being on a sketchy neighborhood  (opinion of a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds who needed to leave 4am to catch a plane and wanted to see daylight in the middle of the night). Looks like everyone else is going through the same thing, they only bad review goes right on top! Not fare!

Brian639
Level 1
Markham, Canada

As a frequent guest I was searching this week for my upcoming stays (I travel weekly) and am frustrated as a guest looking for a place to stay. I also want to see reviews in chronological order. I 'bad' review from months ago does not reflect improvements a host may have made since then which would be reflected in the most recent reviews.

Come on Airbnb, if you want me to use your service make it easy for the consumer to search, review and book through your site. 

Brian680
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

I agree that this ridiculous.  My parents listing that I co-host has had one negative review out of last 40 and it was last year now it is the review that is being listed second.  We work hard and have had excellent reviews but due to this change it makes it look like we are airbnb newbies that don't know how to host.  AirBnb should return to chronological order as this isn't fair.

Thomas1196
Level 1
Edmonton, Canada

We have been hosting for 3 1/2 years and have been Superhosts the entire time. We recently had an unscrupulous guest who left us an extremely negative review (the first one out of 55,  5 star reviews). That review is now listed on top even though we have had other guests since that point who have left us 5 star reviews. It doesn't make sense to not have the reviews in chronological order, as it limits our potential to attract new guests. The most recent guest should have the most recent review. What the hec is Airbnb thinking??? to eliminate the only negative review we will have to start over as a new host, or completely leave Airbnb and just rent our place fulltime. The later sounds easier!