New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

Alex1404
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

I've been using Airbnb a lot recently and always leave a review for the host and the place. I've noticed a new trend when hosts are not leaving reviews at all. Hosts message me and say that the place is left sparkling clean and thank me for your stay, but never leave any reviews.

I thought it was a vital part of the Airbnb experience because it helps with future rentals.  In my opinion, there should be a stricter policy in place for hosts violating the rules of reviewing. Is Airbnb doing anything to motivate or follow up with hosts that are not habitually leaving any reviews?  

143 Replies 143

@Ana1136 ,  the way I understand AirBNB is that a host can’t leave a review for a guest unless the guest has first reviewed the host.

As far as expecting “everyone” to leave a review? If I was a host I’d DEFINITELY review everyone who took the the time as a guest to review me as a host. It takes longer to review a host/unit than it does to review a guest, and as a host I’d appreciate the feedback and the “free advertising”, if you will, that would come from positive reviews from my guests. 

Guests staying in the unit immediately before and after us were reviewed, as well as guests staying in all their other units subsequent to us, so there’s no “family emergency” or anything that would have precluded them from reviewing us in the middle. I was under the impression a host had up to two weeks after they received a review from a guest to provide that guest with a review, correct?  Nobody is THAT “busy” for two weeks, and this is coming from someone who already works 60 hours per week.

As far as “forgetting” to review a guest who reviewed you is concerned that’s unacceptable when that guest had already paid you money and took 10 minutes that they didn’t have to take to review you in hopes of steering more business/guests in your direction. As a host you’re actually a business owner, and you need to be responsible as such.

As I said whether the situation is one of “forgetting to review me back” or “not wanting to review me back” I feel slighted either way to the point I’m not giving this host my future business.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree that it’s common courtesy that hosts should review the guests who took the time to review them.

As a new guest I’m going insanely above and beyond—even semi-deep-cleaning at units that are already charging a cleaning fee—to try to build up my reputation and credibility. I don’t appreciate the same courtesy not being reciprocated by hosts.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Paul1848 you have understood wrong, both the host and the guest can leave a review not depending on whether the other party leaves one. I review every guest but not everyone reviews me even though I have spent hours preparing the place for their stay. I don't think much of it, it is their choice. No one is under any kind of obligation. I understand that this feels personal to you and you have the choice not to go there again bit you can be sure that there will be other hosts who don't leave a review too. If you don't attack the lion you shouldn't expect that he wouldn't attack you too. Same with reviews, don't leave them expecting a review in return. On the bright side, most of the hosts will leave you a review so don't worry about it 🙂 

@Ana1136 , thanks so much! Sorry. I think my anxiety is showing through a bit. You’re right. I’ll stay more and will continue to gather more reviews/reputation as time goes on. 

I apologize for the misunderstanding about the review process. I thought a host could only review a guest after the  guest had already reviewed the host. Didn’t realize that either party could initiate the first review while the other one may or may not review back. Thanks so much!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Paul1848 don't worry, I hope you have nothing but pleasant Airbnb experiences in the future 🙂 

Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

I do my best to review each guest. I believe I'm close to 100%. However I don't always get to it immediately, sometimes near the 14 days. It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with available time. 

I believe an honest review is best and leave helpful tips for their next stay in the private messages. 

Jill527
Level 1
Ballajura, Australia

I've noticed the same thing. When I receive a prompt to write a review of the place where I have stayed, it states that the review will not be visible until the host has reciprocated, but I've found that often my reviews appear a few days later and yet I have not received a review myself. 

It is annoying that I always leave the airbnb in perfect condition (as all of my reviews reveal) but sometimes the hosts can't be bothered to reciprocate. 

@Jill527 That's weird and incorrect that it says that because all reviews are published 14 days after check-out regardless of whether both parties have left a review or not. If the host also writes you a review, both reviews get published when both are submitted.

Sherry237
Level 2
Trussville, AL

It is aggravating when I as a guest go above and beyond to clean house and leave it in far better condition then when I arrived. (Hoping for great review myself) The house was not very great, but I’m not a picky or complaining person and easy to please. I took time to leave a great detailed review of the positives listing no negatives. And.... nothing in return. 

Im a host Join the club... most guests do not leave reviews. Sometimes I take it personal but after 3000 reservations I just dont care anymore.

@Alex1404 @Sherry237 and Paul 4454

I think that is just part of the business - to write a review on every guest! I think that if hosts are like me - interested in psychology of people - they will always write a review - without copy-paste the same one. I am in my third year, and I am not tired doing my job about reviewing my guests, I am always interested what they look like, what are their interests... their habits, although 80% are staying just one night. I get in big depression if even one sub-category a guest thinks does not deserve 5-stars, because I am really giving my heart to all my guests. I did not know until today that I can see the compliments guests are leaving me - when I saw them today I was astonished, and very pleased - so many compliments I missed until now... But I was also astonished to see that only 3 guests left me remarks - every one of them 4 remarks - it mostly tells you about their character - people who cannot live without searching for other people"s faults - all 3 left me 5 stars review but... wanted to complain, just cannot live without complaining even from nonexistent things. The first year I was asking guests for good reviews, now I am not - I am interested what they would decide to write, how they can judge others, can they appreciate what they receive, what kind of persona they are.   "Persona"  by Ingmar Bergman... I am looking the new live version!

Loved your take @Lilly28 @Mary996 @Alex1404 @Paul1848 @Susan151 and so many others supporting the community as an equal whole.. vs the sort of conversations translating more along the lines of personal needs or opinions (possibly unintentionally or unaware) still offering little in the way of an effective contribution.

Interestingly enough though.. Hosts don’t seem to be that busy or bored (or whatever their reasons may be) not to leave a review, when it comes not being too busy to securing a booking and collecting funds from their guests. So with all due respect to the mindsets of these particular hosts, those perspectives seem void of value as justifications for not leaving guest reviews, nor are they effective approaches from hosts or the ABB community.

With the same understanding, hosts’ grievances are warranted against Airbnb’s seemingly unfair rating system they’ve put hosts in the position of having to contend with, and give grounds to be taken up with ABB. Reviews at their best are a give and take process meant to provide information, expectancy and encouragement for both guests and hosts benefiting the entire community as an equal whole. Maybe Airbnb should just require reviews from both sides to keep it simple and fair. Fairness is based on acting fairly from all of us, including Airbnb.

Reviews give credence to both guests and hosts experiences (good or bad) and are worthy of our time. Reviews give the ABB community (“us”) a strong and viable reputation, which in turn gives greater confidence in guests to want to book your ABB stays, and ultimately results in greater earning power for hosts.

It’s simple, honest math = just do the work 😉

@Lorraine401 It is a very romantic view you got on the algorithm based rating and review system. 

Maybe try and lean into the concept for more success and less strife @Sandra856 many hosts are thriving on ABB w/o complaint, could be related to their approaches/ perspectives. All the best to you Sandra, I truly wish you well on ABB

@Lorraine401 It is not as much about different perspectives. And I’m sorry if I came a cross as rude. I think I was a bit rude. Sorry. It is important to understand how a platform company as Airbnb is put together.  How it is build to make you run faster and faster. I have hosted since 2014 and I have had lots and lots of great guests. I love to host. It is important to me that my guests are happy and if I do something wrong or if something could have been better I really hope my guests will share it with me so I can do things differently/better. 

@Lorraine401 The problem is the way the review and rating system is build and what it does to us as a society/community. Not that there is a rating/review system in the first place.