One night stands

Alis1
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

One night stands

This is my third time of being a host and my first unpleasant experience. I have two guest and only one key. They stay just for one night and I barely had time to see their faces. They went out came back home separately. So One of them ringed the bell at 4 a.m, woke me up and he was with a girl. He didn't say anything, so I had to ask her name and if she is staying. I have an additional fee for extra people, so I told him that, but the money are not the only problem. I simply didn't felt comfortable at all having an unexpected guest in the house. I don't know how to react, because I don't want to get a bad review. Any advice? Do I ask them to give me cash? Do I add the cleaning fee? Should I give them a bad review just for this ? Or should I just get over it?
16 Replies 16
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

If it makes you feel uncomfortable I wold tighten up your rules for future guests. Your house, your rules. 

Sara44
Level 1
Chicago, IL

We have a rule that allows NO unregistered guests...this protects you from having random strangers invited back to your home.  As single ladies living alone, we have to watch out for ourselves.  (We also have locks on the inside of our bedrooms doors "just in case" for this exact scenario!) And yes. i would mention it in their review.  Its your home, not a hotel!

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Alis1   Its very important to know that VISITORS are not allowed at any Airbnb listing without prior approval by the HOST.  (it even says so on the ABB website) And YOU are the Host.  Please keep that mind as you update your rules.   I had this happen to my home one time when I first started hosting, and I can assure it hasn't happened again.  Also, if any guests breaks your rules, there is no problem asking them to leave....remember its your home.  Your home, your rules.  Don't let anyone walk over you and make you feel uncomfortable.  This is why guests do this to other hosts, because they get away with it at other hosts homes and think its ok...its SIMPLY NOT!  Do not allow any strangers into your home unless your guests ask for permssion and you ok it.  Good luck.  And make sure your guests know your rules.  I make mine write me back at the booking time to say they have read my rules and understand them.  Aloha, Momi, Superhost in Hawaii #LiveThere

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

What about if you have a registered party of four (parents and 2 kids) and after they arrive they invite another 2 parents and 2 kids and all eight of them spend 10 hours at my home, in the house, eating two meals together, using bathroom, kitchen, laundry, and my POOL?!! Then the four extra people leave at 11 pm. NOT ACCEPTABLE, right?? What should I do?

It seems like a violation, can't you ask them to leave? Just wondering...

@Rachel0, do the unpleasant task of getting control over your business--that's what you do. Get your mean look going. Don't know about you, but mine's never failed me.

I would suggest to put a deterrent signage anywhere visible infront where guests basically comes in. 'No surprise visitors/guests' or whatever comes in your mind.

They will never be able to contest that upon ther checkin

Maj-Britt0
Level 4
Freiburg, Germany

also, I would add the extra person through ammending your booking or the resolution centre, inform the guest through the message system that extra unregestered guests are actually breaking your house rules and that you will ask for the extra money througn the abb resolution center or by ammending the reservation. 

Do not let the idead of a bad review compromise your home and your safety.

good luck,mb

@Alis1, I agree entirely with the others. Never let yourself be intimidated by fear of a negative review. 

Remember that, as a host, you can always respond to any such review. Important, however, is to respond in a calm, factual manner. Keep a response as brief as possible. Other hosts will be able to correctly interpret the 'bigger picture' from just a few words. 

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

This is the thread I was looking for.  I changed my listing to 2 night minimum because the one nighters tend to be nothing but trouble.  Anyone feel the same?  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am fine with one nighters. My house rules help ensure this sort of issue isn't a problem.

If someone tried to bring in a one night hook up they would be out on their ears.

My favorite are the one-nighters.  Less cleaning, less hassle.  They are usually just looking for a safe, clean place to sleep for the night.  Then again, I live in a suburb as opposed to an urban area where people would be stumbling home from the bars at 3AM.

As mentioed by others the one nighters are usally the cleanest and uncomplicated. But I also am in a location so that people often tend to overnight and then continue their travels.

I do have in my house rules that no unregistered guests are allowed, and in communicating before hand I always ask for the second persons name when abb has not provieded it already. 

I am new at being a host; although, my 3rd night guest stay has made me change my one night stay. Her booking stated one occupant; although, she did say that she would be bringing her partner. She did not spend the night; although, her parter did. The result was not what I expected, and I will never do that again.