Private Feedback

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Private Feedback

Nothing steams my kettle more than guests who review listings as if they are reviewing a hotel on Yelp or TripAdvisor. The reviews are a zero sum game and pointless to put in any amount of effort- on the hosts and guests end. What does a guest hope to get out of leaving a lengthy review- good or bad? Just keep it short and simple. If it was good- wonderful! If it wasn't then remain gracious that at least you only paid a fraction of a hotel room costs, leave private feedback that is to the point and move on. We can't respond to your review and tell you the reality of the situation without it coming back to bite us.

To the point of my conversation: why do guests feel the need tell you in private feedback they wish you had certain items? Have they not realized some things aren't offered for a reason? One guest felt the need to tell me my place would be better if I had a Keurig coffee maker and black out curtains. Thats all good and well, but I never stated I offered those amenities. Thats like buying a Nissan and telling the dealer this car would be great if it had reclining seats in the back. If you want reclining seats buy the Maybach- at 10x the price!

Guests need to understand what we offer on the screen is exactly what you're getting when you arrive. Nothing more and nothing less.  Stop trying to make reality awful and marking us down in the review stage, because the listing doesn't match your expectations of what you think we should offer or what the hotel chain down the street offers.

PS. the reason I don't offer a coffee maker is because its a money losing expense and takes up space and I don't offer black out shades because people would never leave the room or at check out time.

57 Replies 57

@Ange2 @Zacharias0

I also wonder if ABB could add language during the review that was something like "you sure the listing didn't mention that..." regarding an accuracy complaint

but I could just be salty bc the last guest said we didn't like that: the beds were twins and air mattress e...(that was in the listing) 

this town had traffic at 4pm on Friday (that was in the listing)

this place charged me to have 10 extra friends come over...(that was in the listing)

thank you for your feedback but since you got exactly what we said you would....

I like that last question you stated. Only drawback is that we can't provide a piecemeal rate.

Have you seen that Las Vegas is cracking down on Airbnb because it is illegal to operate one here in Clark County?

Brilliant post @Ange2, I am finding the whole looking for fault thing airbnb does so frustrating, and to tell you the truth I am a bit fed up with it all. I try not to let the nit pickers bring me down but it does. I hardly ever get 4 stars but it is a kick in the guts when you see the rating. I have bent over backwards and put in so many extras in my listings but there is a limit to what I can charge. The result is that I will be placing my whole house for rent in the spring,summer here and cash in on the lucrative tourist market for much more money and less hassle. I have been loyal to Airbnb but will not be in the future. How many hosts do you know that burn out? I know quite a few and with the government here cracking down the only message we got from airbnb was to write to the minister responsible. Are we doing their work for them again? This host will be winding down their involvement from sheer exhaustion.

@Zacharias0 From my experience - the more I provide, the more problems there are (something breaks, somethings they dont know how to use etc, if I provide an iron - where's the iron board etc). And if they have any problems with that extra equipment they are also likely to put it down in their review or lower the "accuracy" score. That is the most annoying and upsetting thing 😞 
And I agree, having guests who write reviews like they were expecting a 5* hotel when they pay 50USD per night, Im sorry -what? The cheapest hotel (and even most long-term regular apartment rents) in my location would be 2-3 times that price for much worse conditions and no extras at all! When I travel through AirBnB myself I never do that, I am usually too gratful to have found such a bargain when I compare it to the usual hotel prices..

@Ange2 Having recently hosted a guest who has moved literally every single thing around my apartment: paintings on the walls, furniture, books, all the little things... All the water-themed souvenirs, magnets, paintings, personal pictures etc were moved from my bedroom to a specific place in the living room. I thought she was worshipping some Sea-God. As it turned out, things were moved to their "optimal aura spots" and having water-related objects in the bedroom causes backpains. Not only did the guest leave everything like that after check-out but also tried to attack me for endangering her health by not having things in their proper spiritual places in the first place. IN MY APARTMENT! 
So I could not agree more with you that people are different and you definitely cannot suit everyone's needs. 

it is the attack of the instant booking zombies 

@Daria20

@Daria20Your place is not furnished according to the feng shui rules? ts ts 😛 

OMG @Daria20!  That might be the best story ever!  Man I needed that comic relief to keep some of the "bad guests" in perspective. I'm bookmarking this so I can come back when I really need a laugh.  So sorry it happend to you - that guest was nuts!

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I think a lot of hosts' frustrations with guests' expectations and private feedback are directly linked to the ridiculous ratings system and the always present pressure to get that 5 star review: The way Airbnb is promoting it and punishing hosts when they don't achieve it makes for a rather adversarial relationship between hosts and guests. What happened to enjoying hosting and meeting new people?   If that ratings game weren't in place, everything would be more relaxed, and hosts and guests could go back to being sincerely friendly with eachother, instead of being on guard and worrying about every little detail.
I actually welcome guests' feedback: I got some good pointers, like black out shades (sorry, Zach......) and a full length mirror, which I implemented and which I feel helped my listing. I just enjoy improving my listing to the best of my abilities, and adding a small coffee maker would seem like a minor thing to me. But I realize I am hosting a different clientele than any Las Vegas host.
But sure, when I get the feeling a guest might be "difficult", then I rather decline or will not have them back. and sure, there are some  misguided ideas in the personal feedback from people who take it upon themselves to be experts at evaluating my place: just goes to show people love to give unwanted advice, so I just let it go. better in the personal feedback than in the public review! No harm done.
Also, - as much as I dislike that silly ratings game or superhost thing - lets not forget that hosts now also have the same opportunities to rate guests on the 5star scale, as well as giving them private feedback. So the playing field is leveled. Go at it, Zach, just fill pages and pages with your personal feedback on a guest... ;), it might make you feel better - (just kidding! I love your contributions.)

@Annette33  wow, I can use a lawyer like you.can I put you on retainer? 

@Annette33We both live in the SW where the sun is brutal. I've been debating on those shades for years and finally came up with a way to install them. I found them for $10 on OfferUp. I will admit the sun beating into a room facing the east usually gets the guest up and out of my house most of the day. 

Fred70
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

While I understand the sentiment of your question about private feedback, I also understand why a guest would leave such suggestions in the private feedback. Your example of buying a Nissan is a bit off-target because your renters are not buying your space; they're renting it. To that end, a better example would be renting a car from Enterprise (or similar) and then returning the car and when they ask how the car was (because that's what the Private Feedback is doing: asking their opinion), you state, "I really enjoyed the car, but it would be great if you offered one that had reclining seats in the back." While Enterprise might not rush out and buy a car that has reclining seats in the back, they may keep it in mind the next time they're stocking up inventory... especially if several customers have made the same comment. And, they might also just ignore the feedback because they think it's not necessary to offer that amenity. It becomes their decision, but at least they're aware of what customers are thinking.

For me, I've used some of the Private Feedback to make improvements, such as adding a dedicated desk/chair, but I've also ignored some, such as blacking out our two ceiling-level windows. I've also done a fairly decent job of anticipating requests because some of the Private Feedback included items that were already on my "To Do/Add" list.

For the Keurig, I find it to be a completely reasonable suggestion... probably because we offer one. It's acutally not messy at all, as long as you don't offer the make-your-own-coffee pod. An expense? Sure. But we only offer two pods per person per night and the average use is probably one pod per reservation (not person/night). We buy them at Costco for about $0.50/pod, so even if they used all of them, I'm only out $2/night. Add in non-refrigerated creamer and sugar costs and it's MAYBE $3/night. And that's before tax season, where I can write off my coffee maker and all the supplies associated with it.

But, here's the kicker: 99% of hotels offer some sort of coffee for their guests. If you're not offering coffee, you're actually offering less than a hotel. Sure, you might be cheaper, but even the ridiculously cheap hotels are now offering coffee... because it's such an insignificant expense compared to having happy guests. Offering a Keurig, however, not only puts you on par with hotels offering coffee, it actually makes you BETTER because very few hotels offer that level of coffee. So, a $90 coffee maker and $3/night (worst case) of supplies will keep your prices less than a hotel, but make the experience significantly better than a hotel. Food (or coffee?) for thought.

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

The whole coffee maker thing is funny to me.  When I started-- I actually had nothing in the room except the bed and a chair and a table/two chairs.  I wanted to keep it simple.  Then two guests in a row asked to store meds in my fridge..so I added a used mini fridge.  Then I added a microwave--(used I found for $5)...I am with you @Zacharias0.stuff costs and the more we add, the more our 'break even' goes up.  I added a tiny coffee pot..you know since I added it in March, just this past week, one man used it.  Now--I don't buy ANYTHING..no coffee, no cream...I provide a few paper plates and sporks and a few napkins..but the used coffee pot has it's own filter...so the guest has to bring their own supplies.  I have yet to have comlaints about how used everything is--I"m sure I"ll get something for that.  However, I do agree that the more we provide, the more we open ourselves up to 'suggestions' on how we can do it better.  Bottomline is, once a guest starts paying my bills, we can talk about what's fair and what's a good value....!  I"m waiting for a guest to notice I have a pool in the back and get upset they can't use it.  I even had a guy here- he arrived around 10pm and messaged me and asked if he could use the washer/dryer...I forgot to lock the area up so he opened the door and saw it.  'No, sorry....'--I imagined that all of sudden his 10 bags of luggage ful of clothes would all be in the wash..yeah, no, not for the rock bottom price I'm charging!  All I told him was that I was out of detergent and that was enough to stop him in his tracks--because I"m sure he wanted to use my Tide for free....!!!

When I first started hosting, I used to allow the guests to do laundry. This ended fairly quickly. I clearly remember one female guest with big luggage saying to me upon arrival:  "I have dirty laundry!" In some attempt at a cute voice. That was enough for me. I never charged for the laundry pods or dryer sheets, but neither did I expect guests to show up with a couple loads of laundry in their bags. I keep the connecting door from the guest space to the laundry area locked now.

I have foundin my short time hosting, the more you offer the more they stay in the room sucking up air conditioning which is not cheap in Las Vegas with 100 degree days.