Private Feedback

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Private Feedback

Nothing steams my kettle more than guests who review listings as if they are reviewing a hotel on Yelp or TripAdvisor. The reviews are a zero sum game and pointless to put in any amount of effort- on the hosts and guests end. What does a guest hope to get out of leaving a lengthy review- good or bad? Just keep it short and simple. If it was good- wonderful! If it wasn't then remain gracious that at least you only paid a fraction of a hotel room costs, leave private feedback that is to the point and move on. We can't respond to your review and tell you the reality of the situation without it coming back to bite us.

To the point of my conversation: why do guests feel the need tell you in private feedback they wish you had certain items? Have they not realized some things aren't offered for a reason? One guest felt the need to tell me my place would be better if I had a Keurig coffee maker and black out curtains. Thats all good and well, but I never stated I offered those amenities. Thats like buying a Nissan and telling the dealer this car would be great if it had reclining seats in the back. If you want reclining seats buy the Maybach- at 10x the price!

Guests need to understand what we offer on the screen is exactly what you're getting when you arrive. Nothing more and nothing less.  Stop trying to make reality awful and marking us down in the review stage, because the listing doesn't match your expectations of what you think we should offer or what the hotel chain down the street offers.

PS. the reason I don't offer a coffee maker is because its a money losing expense and takes up space and I don't offer black out shades because people would never leave the room or at check out time.

57 Replies 57

This is very true. I've had to add a lock box on my thermostat just to keep those homebodies from lowering my AC to polar temperatures and have told guests in my house rules the temperature I keep my house at.  I actually had a guest ask me the other day if I can turn it down past 72F/ 22C. It was 3 o clock in the afternoon on a Saturday! I wanted to tell him to please leave my house for the day and enjoy the city. Instead I told him to turn on the ceiling fan or go check out the Olympic size pool which is steps from my front door.

@Joanna85    I'm with you on that. There has to be a limit.  And the "more we provide" the increasing odds that someone will find fault with it, or it suddenly breaks so can't be used and you're then in a dispute for a refund !  The overhead keeps getting higher.  btw: I've never had any complaints about no coffee machine, maybe because NYC is awash with café's.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

You should be happy  @Zacharias0 !

I was THUNDERSTRUCK last week when a guest message me:

"I think there is a gym and swimming pool in the building, can we use it?"

My answer - "I think you are making fun of me! In the listing it is not said there is gym or swimming pool in the building!"

I wish I had said - "Have you been taking some hallucinogenic stuff" - but politeness did not allow me to say it.

As for the coffee maker, I put one on each space I have to let. Many people like it and it is cheap. 

Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Just be thankful the guests can't leave photos with their review. Can you imagine a photo of a clear kitchen work top where the coffee maker should be!

Clarissa7
Level 6
England, United Kingdom

For goodness sake, it is PRIVATE feedback, not a public grumble!  I really want to know what would make things best, so my guests are pleasantly surprised.  One French guest left an excellent review, I  asked if there was anything I could improve, she politely suggested 'coffee machine': when the family came back next year for two weeks she was so pleased, it was really worth it..  I have different nationalities staying: Moroccans use a metal tea pot and glasses for their tea, I had only provided English tea pot and china mugs - when I was nicely told I was happy to get Moroccan style as well, and have had good feedback.  A Canadian publicly grumbled that I had not provided beach towels, just bathroom towels - and I posted that that would double my laundry bill, but I do now specifically ask people to bring beach towels when I accept the booking so they know what to expect.

@Clarissa7 beach towel? and what else? sunscreen lotion ?  bath costume? flip flops?

They felt that providing toilet paper/ soap for comfort on arrival  was not sufficient and it should be replenished during their stay and that there should be powder supplied for using the washing machine.. they commented kindly at the beginning of the feed back that the accomodation (a self catering flat in Africa) was a good price...

My last straw was when a Canadian commented that I should provide low fat,low sugar and gluten free options in my snack basket which is complimentary and an extra that everyone else loves! I already have low fat yoghurt, a fruit basket, juice, 5 types of cereal, mixed herbal teas, plunger coffee,English muffins etc what do these people want? I actually responded privately that i hardly break even now, and when I bought these items last year,they were the first thrown in the bin as waste. 

MariaCelia0
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Hello, a similar fact happened to me. I agree with what was said. But does anyone know if it's possible to respond to private feedback from a guest? Thank you.

You wish to respond to the guest about something they said in their private feedback, @MariaCelia0? You can message them through the Airbnb messaging platform just as you did before and during their stay. 

You can just send them a message via airbnb

Andrew483
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Anyone know how to remove public feedback that I accenedntly posted? It was meant to be priavte feedback... 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Andrew483

I love the response, you've made my day, we all want to say that at some point.

Contact airbnb customer service and plead your case, they might remove it.

Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide