Problem Hosting - Can we make Airbnb Legal In Weehawken NJ?

Answered!

Problem Hosting - Can we make Airbnb Legal In Weehawken NJ?

Dear Hello Host,

My name is Fiona. I have been a host here for over six years and I have enjoyed welcoming thousands of guest from all walk of live to my home. It been a great run but now the Building department of Weehawken and building owners are now cracking host down. It is pretty serious and stressful as a host especially if you are being sent to court and having to pay a fine to the housing department and then being evicted by your landlord and sued… I am writing today asking for two things.

1. That's we all come together as host and fight this to make hosting legal in the city of Weehawken just like Jersey City did and now they are allow to host and pay a small fees (Which is not a bad idea).

We as host are gaining from having guest so is this community. The stores and restaurants are making more money because of the guest who comes into the community. The new rental Bikes that are placed all around Weehawken are not being used by locals, the bikes are mostly rented and paid for by the amazing many guest.

The city are making most of their money from issuing tickets to drivers and fining tenants and other people. They can actually make way more money by taking some percentage from host. Jersey City is doing it, and West New York host are also fighting for the same. We can do the same as we are in a very nice and prime area which is over looking the NYC Skyline.

2. We can be careful or and hide and try not to get caught doing this and try to look out for each other.

There are groups of people out there who act as guest, asking to book your homes on Airbnb but they are actually paid to catch you and report you to the town and the landlords.

Two of my neighbour just got eviction last month due to him doing Airbnb as well.

If you or anyone you know have received a letter, been fined or warned, please let me know and I would appreciate all of your support and advise on how to go about this and I will appreciate it more if we can come together and fight this together in Weehawken alone, there are over 1000+ Host.

I hope to hearing back from you all.
Be careful, Stay safe and Happy Hosting.

Many thanks

Fiona

PS: Please Pass this one to Other Host

1 Best Answer

Bill Murphy passed new legislation on July 1st allowing municipalities to tax transient accomodations, A-1753 (https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/AL18/49_.HTM).

Hopefully this will make Weehawken officials wake up and update their ordinance. 

As a host, I'm all for paying my fair share of taxes and following safety standards for my guests and neighbors. 

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Julia793
Level 2
New York, NY

Hi I’m a host in Weehawken and just received the notice. Need some guidance on what to do next! Thank you all!

Hello Lizbeth. Can you please cal me when you are free?  We are hosts in Weehawken and saw your post in the forums and have some questions. Thank you.

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Julia. Can you chat ?  I’m having the same problem. Jose 

@Fiona268  

Hello, Fiona!!

We got the same notice as you did two months ago.  We are owner occupied a duplex ( 1st fl and basement) ;  we thought we are able to do airbnb which owner of the property live in the property.   Any further development on fighting with the town to legalize Airbnb as Jersey City? 

Thank you!!

H Fiona and Ivan. Can we chat when you are free? I received the same notice. Jose 

stayHi Ivan, how are you? We are also owners with superhost status. Can you chat? my cell is 973 264 7114

Thanks

Megan312
Level 2
New York, NY

I got the letter too. Did everyone quit after the letter?

Bill Murphy passed new legislation on July 1st allowing municipalities to tax transient accomodations, A-1753 (https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/AL18/49_.HTM).

Hopefully this will make Weehawken officials wake up and update their ordinance. 

As a host, I'm all for paying my fair share of taxes and following safety standards for my guests and neighbors. 

More info, this one is from September 2018:

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/TB-81R.pdf

Government is eventually going to destroy the hosts who have only 1 or 2 listings, so NJ is adding a massive sales tax, and an occupancy tax, and making people register their home as a business.  Nice.  So, that is adding 6-9% to the cost of renting in NJ, the only thing saving hosts in NJ is that NY is even more hostile to STR.  Sad.

Hey Carlos. 

Hola Carlos, es Jose Aguilar que con mi esposa somos Superhosts. Can you call me? my cell is 973 264 7114. Thanks Jose

Grace361
Level 2
Weehawken, NJ

Hi

Even though there might be thousands of hosts in Weehawken but there are many home owners or neighbors will vote against it. Though I see legalizing the short term rental in Weehawken will definitely help to raise the home values here just like Jersey city but many home owners view visitors as ‘invaders’.

Danny-and-Jane0
Level 2
Rutherford, NJ

Hello host in weehawken- it is possible to get together and joint a group to see if we can do any progress in meeting with the mayor to help us to keep hosting!